PDA

View Full Version : Elka, good? bad?

Trx250rider86
02-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Some people tell me they are great others bad?

What could be bad about them?

How do they compare to other companies such as pep, tcs, etc.

fastyz85
02-16-2007, 02:43 PM
just get the yfz dude. the elkas are fine.lol

JW450R1
02-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Elka's are good.Every one has there own opinions about them

northwest Texas
02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Every one has there own opinions about them It's just that more people seem to have bad opinions about them. Myself included.

exrider008
02-16-2007, 05:50 PM
i love my elkas. i havent had any problems with them.

"THE ShoP"
02-16-2007, 11:50 PM
if there valved an sprung rite there some of the best, alot of people got nutts wit the adjusting an think they have them set up rite for what they ride but they realy don't. an they don't get all the function out of there shock.you realy have to understand what a shock dose an how it works befor you go adjusting it..what ever you get just read all the terms an expresions on how an what it dose an you'll b fine

m.h.s.c.#527
02-17-2007, 12:48 PM
i like mine

A A R O N
02-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I've always though elkas were nice shocks.....and they are....kind of. They seem like they're a good starting point and for the novice rider, including myself, they're nothing to put down. If you want full potential out of them though, they need to be completely re-done inside and out because they come from ELKA in a very generic state.

sammy5x
02-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
If you want full potential out of them though, they need to be completely re-done inside and out because they come from ELKA in a very generic state.

This is a load of BS.

Nobody takes the time to read their set up manual and then gets on the net and ignorantly rants about performance. Elka sold over 47,000 units of shocks worldwide last year and the people that get on the net and start yappin represent a insignificant fraction of users. Even though that fraction may seem like alot, it puts everything into perspective. Sorry for the harsh words but as the sport grows so does the "entitlement mentality" of making a purchase and wanting it to be perfect right out of the box. EVERYBODY says they set up their stuff properly but the minute a real tech looks at the machine it becomes apparent that they did not. Also alot of times people will think they have bad suspension performance when it is directly related to chassis, tire and other components which is usually the case.

This holds true for ALL suspension manufacturers.

400exMO
02-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Elkas are good shocks. But the valving could be better. If you get them rebuilt by a shock tuner such as GT thunder they'll be amazing.
Also it's how well you can get them setup for your riding. That's the most important component in having a good suspension setup.

A A R O N
02-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by sammy5x
This is a load of BS.

Nobody takes the time to read their set up manual and then gets on the net and ignorantly rants about performance. Elka sold over 47,000 units of shocks worldwide last year and the people that get on the net and start yappin represent a insignificant fraction of users. Even though that fraction may seem like alot, it puts everything into perspective. Sorry for the harsh words but as the sport grows so does the "entitlement mentality" of making a purchase and wanting it to be perfect right out of the box. EVERYBODY says they set up their stuff properly but the minute a real tech looks at the machine it becomes apparent that they did not. Also alot of times people will think they have bad suspension performance when it is directly related to chassis, tire and other components which is usually the case.

This holds true for ALL suspension manufacturers.

Simply put; elkas are a decent shock out of the box, but have the potential to be quite a bit better after some changes to them by a knowledgable shock builder. You can't deny the fact that they can be improved even after coming straight from elka and be serious. You're right that setup is a huge part of it, but I'm not saying that elkas don't work because they're set up wrong by the user. They can be set up on the quad "right" and still not be as good as if they were sent off to be tweaked by a shock builder, THEN set up "right" on the quad.

There's absolutely NO way you can convince me that elka sends their shocks out to be a PERFECT match to rider's weight, riding style, and chassis setup.

That being said, there HAS to be room for improvement....

Trx250rider86
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
thanks for all the input

bbrad mulvey
02-19-2007, 12:07 AM
I have had 3 sets of Elkas on 3 different set ups on 2 different machines. Elka's to me are superior to other shock companies, hands down! I have owned those paperweights that every body calls "Evol" and they are TO ME junk compared to a sprung shock. Elka's have a bad reputation for some reason I have no idea why. I always hear people say that Elka send there shocks not valved correctly or Elka can be improved by sending them else where. Witch may be fact, but I can almost see it as false. I just bought a set of Elka(used) and I rode them twice and blew them out. Called them up, sent them in and around 300 bucks later I had new shafts, seals, updates, fluid, stickers, and other things. I got them back and WOW they are awesome! They are a little on the heavier side of shocks, but the new Factory ride shock is all TI so that will be neet to see perform this year! Elka is always the first one to have the "new" technology also! I just agree with what some of you guys on here are saying, the people that dislike them are probably not very nimble on the ease of use when dialing the shock in;)...:macho

But yes they are a great shock and are even better once broken in and revalved:D

bradley300
02-20-2007, 08:01 AM
elka has all that new technology to make up for what they dont do right on the inside of the shock. quad rate shocks, high/lo speed compression.. none of that stuff is needed but elka puts it on there to put more of the tuning in the riders hand, and releiving theirselves of needing a sound set up on the inside. then everyone goes googley eyed over a bunch of knobs and parts so now everyone thinks thay need them so the other companies have to add them to keep thier good shocks from losing sales to a decent shock with lots of gadgets

elka wont even do a blaster rear shock correct, how long have those been out? the blaster has a weird rear shock length so intead of making the correct length shock, they add a huge spacer to the pre-load of the next size they stock. just shows the "good enough" attitude they have. i'm sorry, but for 900 bucks, i dont want good enuff, i want it right! ive had 2 sets of blaster shocks, and the rear was them same on both, i know as well as many others my sponsor has sold, and i know he has more than once mentioned to problem to elka, but nothing ever happens

Ex_Rider43
02-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I had 3 sets of elka shocks in my life , 1 for a 400ex and 2 for a 450r. I was pleased on the 400ex when I started racing but they are not cutting it right now. This is why I decided to switch brands.

The ride was horrible even after several rebuild and reworking the shock. They have no idea on how to set the rear shock for a walsh savior rear end, instead of building a good setup they try to convince you to buy their Dual link.

A A R O N
02-20-2007, 02:56 PM
...nothing like a few real life testimonials sammy5x;)

sammy5x
02-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
a few

My point all along. But it's okay, every teenager and newbie performance rider thinks they know how to do everything better than everyone else. Same old crap I've been listening to for over 20 years of racing. Yaaaawwwnnn.

A simple solution is that every college punk with an engineering degree thinks they know more then the shock builders. How about stop your ignorant belly aching and go bust your ***** and live in poverty for 5 years while you develop a product that is better than everyone elses product. It really is that simple. All this whining is a joke to all of us that really know what we are doing.

A FRACTION people, remember, a INSIGNIFICANT FRACTION.

A A R O N
02-20-2007, 05:15 PM
In my personal opinion, if that fraction of people is large enough to be defined....which is obviously the case....then it's too big of a problem. A product shouldn't be "MOSTLY GOOD".....

Your comment is hardly accurate as well....I know one shock builder in particular who is very experienced but still does a lot of work on elkas to make them better....it's not just mis-informed young people who have no clue what they're talking about...

...and I'd tell you where I work but then you'd be even more frusterated with me:p

400exrider707
02-20-2007, 05:53 PM
My point all along. But it's okay, every teenager and newbie performance rider thinks they know how to do everything better than everyone else. Same old crap I've been listening to for over 20 years of racing. Yaaaawwwnnn.

A simple solution is that every college punk with an engineering degree thinks they know more then the shock builders. How about stop your ignorant belly aching and go bust your ***** and live in poverty for 5 years while you develop a product that is better than everyone elses product. It really is that simple. All this whining is a joke to all of us that really know what we are doing.

A FRACTION people, remember, a INSIGNIFICANT FRACTION.

At least this punk kid with an engineering degree knew that wheel spacers and offset rims didn't effect the shock... but you knew that cause you've been racing for 20 years :rolleyes:

Dont judge people so quickly man, and dont act like you know all. Ill give it to you, you have way more experience than me and you probably know a whole lot more, but that doesn't mean you cant be wrong once in a while, and if people talk crap about elkas you dont have to get all worried about it, they're not going to go under, and they're only opinions.

sammy5x
02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
I am not worried about anything. People can use what they want, I don't care. I tried to give people a realistic "big picture" view on suspension and everyone started acting like experienced know-it-alls. I call it like I see it. Point the fingers at yourselves.

And yes, you are wrong about wheel spacers. Always have been, always will be.

You guys ever wonder why professional people don't come to this site anymore? If I have to answer that, you will never get it.

I am done with this thread but I am sure you guys will flame on.

A A R O N
02-21-2007, 06:26 AM

I am done with this thread but I am sure you guys will flame on.

nah, I think that's a good stopping point....I made my points, you made yours....

honda250xrider
02-21-2007, 06:46 AM
sounds like your a dealer for elka here trying to defend them *edit* just read your sig, thats fine but using words trying to make you seem like you think everyone has a problem with elka actually cannot set up there own shock can be misleading :p , elka is KNOWN for not having correctly valved shocks right out of the box as to say we are just fractions of the people that is fine but fractions matter in marketing. some shocks elka get spot on others they get are way off, i've rode same bike same setup as my friend elka did a wonderful job, had the same shock same setup on my bike elka's felt like poo, poor valving. I dont need to get into to much info but i had great experience with your guy's customer service compared to your tuning department. I do not here as much complaints with tcs, motowoz, noleen, axis, pep as i do with elka, maybe there is something behind that theory of mine maybe they have a better valving system going on? just something to ponder about.

dont take what im saying flaming towards you, im giving experience on what i felt, seems like you get mad when people say they have had elka's that didn't please them enough? im in no way a expert on valving shocks so i do not know what the process invloves. but what i can give people is my view on your shocks that you produce, like i said i feel it is a hit or miss on the valving that you put out.

bradley300
02-21-2007, 07:14 AM
my "bellyaching" came from what i have experienced myself, what i have been told about and shown by an extremely well respected blaster tuner (snyder motor sports) and a even more respected shock builder.

i really liked when elka saw how much better everyone else was making their own shocks they decided that no one would be allowed to re-valve elka shocks but elka themselves. elka cant look bad if no one is allowed to make them better!

bbrad mulvey
02-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Well maybe its just the fact that it who you may know that can help you out at Elka. I have had NOTHING but great experience with them. I wanted to rebuild my shocks that I have now, they would have sold me everything to do it with, but I got caught up when they said that the Dyno will MAKE sure that the shock will be perfect before they came back to me. Lucky enough the Dyno showed that I had a bent shaft and I would have not been able to see that. So I stand next to the Elka product. And I hope as I continue racing that my sponsorship with them gets better!

d kelley
02-25-2007, 04:52 PM
One thing consider when selecting products is how is the service when you need it. Especially if you are racing and stuff breaks. Companies like elka get you back racing fast. Duncan racing warranties their Fat Boy exhaust for life! Elka can service a set of shocks in 10 days. Try chasing a national championship as a privateer and you see how important this is. If everyone in your series runs brand X and you run Brand Y, watch how hard it is to get help in the pits with your equipment, and at some time, you will need help.

balls2da-wall
02-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Elka is the largest shock manufacture for atvs and they do ample amounts of testing on there shocks. They are the highest quality shock I have used, but I will agree that they may not be totally SPOT ON like so many of your pros on here need. (being very sarcastic). For the very large majority of us that race and ride we will not notice this...i sure as heck cant tell that big of difference from shocks that come from elka versus elkas that have been revalved by some of the highly respectable shock tuners. Could Bill Ballance or John Natalie tell...maybe. For the most part any aftermarket shock is going to be much better than stock. My take on why you hear elka knocked so much is because it is the more popular shock so you have kids with money to spare buying them and saying they suck because they dont know how to adjust them...

Totally off topic, but I think that atvriders should be split into 2 forums...people 18 and over and people 17 and under. Seriously, think about it for a minute and tell me that it would not make life on here much better?:devil:

JW450R1
02-26-2007, 04:43 AM
I agree with you balls...
I have elkas all the way around,and i don't have any problems at all.

northwest Texas
02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm 33 and hardly a newbie and it didn't matter, we could not get the Elka's dialed in even close. Had Colby rework them and he got them much better but they're still no where close to being as good as my Works. Don't race and not advanced enough to notice the little nuances like the pro's so my bashing is deserved.

I'll admit they're great on the jumps but absolutely terrible on the little stuff. Get them tuned for the little stuff and they're absolutely terrible on the jumps. There is no compromise, they are either all or nothing.

I don't know and can't prove but when he (my b-i-l) bought them, we got them in 3 days. Wow I thought at first. But after all this mess, there's no chance in Hades they tuned these shocks specifically for him. They had to be off the shelf generic one size fits all and you can't do that with shocks.

I can understand sending them back once to maybe do a little fine tuning but these were so off, where does one complain? All I know is they won't get any of my business because I don't feel their quality is superior or worth the money. I'd say they're barely a notch above the stocks (but I'm being nice)

I think many that are satisfied are only because they may not have ridden another to compare and think in their mind they're good because everyone says so. I sure didnt' want to admit they're $1,500 dollar paper weights, but they look cool and they're not even my shocks.

balls2da-wall
02-26-2007, 06:03 PM
I dont think it was the shocks at fault...if your works were better than your elkas and you said they were terrible at the little stuff its more than likely because your wanting more of a trail riding shock than a race shock. Racing, my elkas are as plush as can be, but if I go out for a normal trail ride they beat me all to hell. This is why I bought them! Just a thought. You may be right that Elkas are good in one area and poor in another, but most people who buy aftermarket shocks use them for racing, not putting around the back yard. Its all a matter of opinion...I will continue to run Elka until the send something not worthy of being on a race quad.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe the problem with people getting Elkas that have too harsh of ride is caused by the information they tell Elka. For example, im a light guy weighing in at only 150lbs. which puts me right on the line for spring rates. If I were to put in that I was a beginner rider they would more than likely spring me on the low side and vise-versa if I were an expert or Pro rider. I think you have alot of punks putting they are Experts or Pro's because they think they will get a better shock and end up with one darn stiff shock. Maybe the reasoning behind some people choosing other shock companies over another is that there spring rates fall on different lines than another. I would have suggested you for Works or even conversion shocks over Elkas anyday if you asked which would be right for you.

400exrider707
02-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
I dont think it was the shocks at fault...if your works were better than your elkas and you said they were terrible at the little stuff its more than likely because your wanting more of a trail riding shock than a race shock. Racing, my elkas are as plush as can be, but if I go out for a normal trail ride they beat me all to hell. This is why I bought them! Just a thought. You may be right that Elkas are good in one area and poor in another, but most people who buy aftermarket shocks use them for racing, not putting around the back yard. Its all a matter of opinion...I will continue to run Elka until the send something not worthy of being on a race quad.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe the problem with people getting Elkas that have too harsh of ride is caused by the information they tell Elka. For example, im a light guy weighing in at only 150lbs. which puts me right on the line for spring rates. If I were to put in that I was a beginner rider they would more than likely spring me on the low side and vise-versa if I were an expert or Pro rider. I think you have alot of punks putting they are Experts or Pro's because they think they will get a better shock and end up with one darn stiff shock. Maybe the reasoning behind some people choosing other shock companies over another is that there spring rates fall on different lines than another. I would have suggested you for Works or even conversion shocks over Elkas anyday if you asked which would be right for you.

I ordered my elkas brand new right from them. I had them set up for my weight with gear on, and I told them I rode trails and occasional MX, and that I was a C level rider. I got them and they were rediculously harsh. I didn't know it at the time cause they were the first pair I bought of aftermarket shocks. Like northwest said, they were good on big jumps, but every little thing on the track they beat the heck out of me. I fell into the marketing scheme and at the time I never heard anything bad about them. I now have C&D rebuilds on my 450R on the front and a GT Thunder rebuild with link on the rear. I can not believe what a difference it has made for me. The first I rode on these shocks was out in my fields and some trails, they were nice and plush and soaked up a lot of stuff. I thought for sure they were whooped being I bought them used (they were set up for my weight however and my riding style already) First big jump I hit with them I was waiting for the harsh hit, but it never came, they soaked everything up so smoothly I could not believe what I had been missing out on. They soak up small and big stuff and handle like a dream. As far as Im concerned right now I have no reason to buy anything else. There are a few other shocks that I would like to try, however.

exrider49
02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
i personally like elkas got them on my 400 but pep are better...but the wait for pep shocks is outrageous and i guess elkas bad reputation comes from people having bad experiences..

d kelley
02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
If you weigh 170 with your gear and ride a yfz and another rider weighs 175 with his gear on and rides a yfz, Elka has shocks ready to go that are set up for riders 160 to 180, does that make them bad because they only took 3 days to get to you? Shock building is not rocket science, be honest about how much you weigh, your ability (just because you race the expert class at your local track does not mean you are a expert) and learn about how to set up your spring preload, you will be amazed at how good your suspension can be.

northwest Texas
02-26-2007, 07:48 PM
I ordered a trail riding shock, was completely honest with how I wanted/needed them set up. I tried and tried to talk him into what I had but he just thought Elka's were the cat's meow. They just were not set up for anywhere near what he wanted. Constant tinkering with the springs yielded different results and it was literally all or nothing. We could move them 3 to 5 turns and not feel any change and then have a dramatic change in the next turn or less. With my Works, they could take little bumps and just glide over them at any speed and take the larger jumps we ride on with comfort. His Elka's could handle the jumps but beat you to death on the trail. Adjust for the trail and then you didn't dare get the tires off the ground. Just a nightmare.

honda250xrider
02-26-2007, 08:13 PM
shock building is alot more than just what you catogorized it to be. Why do you think alot of companies spend so much time trying to perfect there valving skills, why do you think noleen can charge so much for his revalves and rebuilding? because it is the same as off the shelf elka heck no. he has his proven methods that work. Elka imo needs refine there skills and put the knowlege they have into Each and every shock they put out of the line. Motowoz is not heard of to much but i am willing to bet within the next few years you will be hearing alot about him. Jim has his valving down pat and i personally think he has the best shock out there. Each person will have themselves a custom built shock not just off the shelf. I'm also willing to bet if you could send the elka shocks to Tcs they would have them perform flawlessly because they spend there time making sure there shock is setup perfect out of the box. I may be rather hard on elka but have never had a good shock from them get into my hands and after dumping countless thousands of dollars invested in them you would think that they would produce something that works for you........

balls2da-wall
02-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I ordered my elkas brand new right from them. I had them set up for my weight with gear on, and I told them I rode trails and occasional MX, and that I was a C level rider. I got them and they were rediculously harsh. I didn't know it at the time cause they were the first pair I bought of aftermarket shocks. Like northwest said, they were good on big jumps, but every little thing on the track they beat the heck out of me. I fell into the marketing scheme and at the time I never heard anything bad about them. I now have C&D rebuilds on my 450R on the front and a GT Thunder rebuild with link on the rear. I can not believe what a difference it has made for me. The first I rode on these shocks was out in my fields and some trails, they were nice and plush and soaked up a lot of stuff. I thought for sure they were whooped being I bought them used (they were set up for my weight however and my riding style already) First big jump I hit with them I was waiting for the harsh hit, but it never came, they soaked everything up so smoothly I could not believe what I had been missing out on. They soak up small and big stuff and handle like a dream. As far as Im concerned right now I have no reason to buy anything else. There are a few other shocks that I would like to try, however.

I f ind this HILARIOUS! You talk Elka down, and yet your avatar is of Elka shocks?:rolleyes:

I agree with what was said above. If you send your Elkas to TCS you have the best shocks money can buy. That is what you see the pros doing with there Elkas. Now if TCS only made front shocks with rebound adjustment I would be all over them.

400exrider707
02-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
I f ind this HILARIOUS! You talk Elka down, and yet your avatar is of Elka shocks?:rolleyes:

I agree with what was said above. If you send your Elkas to TCS you have the best shocks money can buy. That is what you see the pros doing with there Elkas. Now if TCS only made front shocks with rebound adjustment I would be all over them.

Im not trying to really slam elka so much as just state that they're not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yeah it is kind of funny acutally, I put that avatar up like two years ago. Its still a cool picture so Ill probably keep it. Anyways the elkas I had were definitely way better than my stock 400ex shocks and thats really all I was hoping for. Now that I've become more of an agressive rider on a faster machine, I notice things more like how my suspension is reacting on different terrain. For me being a budget oriented racer, cheaper is a plus, dont get me wrong I usually try to save and do everything the right way, no matter what it costs, but if my stock rebuilds perform as good or better than the elkas than why not? Im just stating my experience with elka. They are still a good shock and a great company, their marketing skills are second to none, as well as their customer service. You wouldn't be disappointed buying them, but I do think there are better options for the money.:macho

Lethalhonda2
02-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I too have had some poorly set up Elka's.I sent my rear shock out for a rebuild and found out that the shock never should have been sold to me!! They did get me another shock but it still makes me wonder why the shock shouldnt have been sold to me? Maybe Elka should listen to the "other" shock builders to how they are making their shocks better! Maybe if the two worked together Elka wouldnt have as many complaints about their setup. just me 2 cents

A A R O N
02-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
but I do think there are better options for the money.:macho

I think any way you argue it, that's what it's going to come down to.

bradley300
03-01-2007, 06:53 AM
i agree

elementryder
03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
just go custom axis the people there are great,great customer service,and they even go as far as taking your bike up there to get the right set up,the guy there that builds my shocks (TIM BRADY) he was even nice enough to let us watch him build the shock and everything that goes on in there...he even gave me an inside scoop on the pros this year..overall couldent be happier and have great customer service:)