PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stem! Who makes em, what's the best, how much?

buckeye400ex
10-22-2001, 07:51 PM
Some rookie taking a ride on my 400EX, stuffed the front tire in a deep rut and managed to ruin my Douglas 190 rim and bend the steering stem. So has anyone purchased one? where did you get it, what brand, how much? What's stock price vs. something like Lonestar which is $300+. I'm not paying for the repairs, but will be ordering the parts. Thanks for the help.

Leo
10-22-2001, 07:59 PM
are you sure the stem is bent? the tie-rods bend quite easily (to protect the rest of the steering system)..

replacement tie-rod end's are cheap (under $10)

replacement OEM steering stems are also quite cheap (under $75)

the stock stems are not super strong, but would you rather bend the stem, or the frame.... :)

you can get a rough idea of the pricing of the stock OEM parts on www.servicehonda.com but be sure to check with our site sponsor (his ad is on the top of every page) as he has better prices, and free shipping on orders over $50 for forum members.

Leo

buckeye400ex
10-22-2001, 08:41 PM
I have already removed the steering stem and yes it's definitely bent. I check tie rods and the ends. Thanks for the link, that's cool, probably order it from there tomorrow.

kabd69667
10-23-2001, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't get a stock stem. They'll bend the first time you roll it. They bend right below the mounts for your handle bars. Save your money and buy a good lonestar, lagers, or arens. Try to straighten your stock one and use it untill you have enough money to buy an aftermarket stem

buckeye400ex
10-23-2001, 02:27 PM
Since, I'm not paying for this repair, I already ordered the stocker. Kabd, I may save up my pennies and upgrade to a top of the line one soon.

I was thinking about trying to straighten this one, but I'd be afraid of it being even weaker!! It's bent pretty good, between the upper bushing and the mounts for the bars.

Leo, thanks for the link, they had the best price I could find, even cheaper than the sponsor of this website I'm afraid to say.
$55.96 (shipped) vs. $58.86. I did mention this website and that price included a discount.