PDA

View Full Version : Haulers or Extremes

akskidoo
02-16-2007, 12:00 PM
I know there is a long posting on sand tires but it does not address this particuler question. I have a LTR-450 and basically run it at Dumont. I have done the basics to the bike (CB, Pipe and header, filter, dobeck) and I am undecided on what tire to buy. I put on a friends 20x10x8 8 paddle Extremes and was blown away on how great the bike was. It was night and day better than the turbo's 8 paddle I have. Another friend was saying to go to the Hauler 7 or 8 paddle that they will hook up better and the paddle will not have the tendenacy to flex and roll backward on the tire do to the fact the paddle is shorter unlike the Extremes. I am pretty set on the extremes since I have used them, but what do you all think? I do not have deep enough pockets to buy both.

loboboy
02-16-2007, 08:44 PM
I just recently bought the Skat trak Edge 20-10-10 with 10 paddles for my MX Outlaw Banshee and love them. I will never go back to a straight paddle again. For the Zuki I would suggest the 9 paddles in stead.

JOEX
02-16-2007, 09:05 PM
I belive the Extreme's have the same height as the regular Hauler but have thicker paddle and supposedly more durable. Not to be confused with 'Taller-Haulers' which have a taller paddle than the regular Haulers.

cjkranz
02-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Depending on what type of dune riding you do should determine which tire. If you want to drag race the most, go with a straight paddle (hauler or extreme) with an 8" wheel. The 8" wheel is the most important part. This will allow the tire go "give" more then a 10" wheel, therefor allowing it to bite more then just spin. As for using Edges, DON'T waste your money on them. I found that Sand Stars worked much better, lasted longer, and were cheaper.. I thought my edges were the biggest waste of $ on a paddle tire yet.....They wouldn't hook up nearly as well as the sand stars, Sand Skate II, or Sand Sharks.... just my $0.02

akskidoo
02-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for your $0.02. This is why I posted this in the first place. I know other people have already spent the money and are either happy or not. I just want to learn from everyone, my wife is already pissed and I do not want to give her another reason.

loboboy
02-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by cjkranz
As for using Edges, DON'T waste your money on them. I found that Sand Stars worked much better, lasted longer, and were cheaper.. I thought my edges were the biggest waste of $ on a paddle tire yet.....They wouldn't hook up nearly as well as the sand stars, Sand Skate II, or Sand Sharks.... just my $0.02

That's funny you say that, because I just went to the Edges from an 8 paddle hauler and I swear by these new edges. They hook far better than my haulers plus I can turn alot faster. I don't care how much they cost just as long as they work the way I want them to.

Different opinions are interesting to listen to.

m.h.s.c.#527
02-19-2007, 07:44 PM
my grandpas got sand gheckos on his warrior and they do well

Dune Surfer
02-20-2007, 08:41 AM
It's funny, I ride nothing but sand (Glamis) and hear so many differant opinions. Some people love sand stars and Gecko's. I think they are the worst tires you can buy for the sand. Both are heavy and neither slides well enough. I rode a buddies new yfz with haulers this weekend. They hooked up great but were more work than the V paddles. I'll stick with sand skake 2's or sand sharks if you are going cheap.

sandmanblue
02-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Rather than listen to ppl on the net, give Joe at Fullerton Sand Sports a call and get advice from him. He'll want to know the type of riding, the hp, your weight and also budget. He's only been around forever and this is his specialty.

I am going to bet that he will advise some 21x12x8 6 paddle extremes on .125 wheels for the Glamis/Dumont dunes on your quad....

And, no, that's not a misprint. that was SIX paddle extremes. Call him, then tell us what he said.....

250r4life
02-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
It's funny, I ride nothing but sand (Glamis) and hear so many differant opinions. Some people love sand stars and Gecko's. I think they are the worst tires you can buy for the sand. Both are heavy and neither slides well enough. I rode a buddies new yfz with haulers this weekend. They hooked up great but were more work than the V paddles. I'll stick with sand skake 2's or sand sharks if you are going cheap.

im with ya the geckos are horrible, but i completely disagree with you on the sand stars...

i have sand stars for my R and YFZ, and theyre great... they hook up great, turn great, slide great... the only disadvantage is they are a little heavier so you may be slightly slower pulling the hill... theyre great on the launch though...

i have ridden on sand sharks, and they are a good tire except for hook up... sand stars hook up much better... i have also ridden sand skate 2s- thats what we used to run before the sand stars came out...

250r4life
02-20-2007, 11:26 AM
since this was for haulers or extremes, i would probably go a 6 or 7 paddle extreme if i were you... i would definately not go 9 like one fellar suggested...

250r4life
02-20-2007, 11:27 AM
sandman...

nice sig...

i was following ya'lls thread in the dyno section, and my only thought was "for this guy having a thriving business and engine builds out the wazoo, he sure does have a lot of time to jack around arguing on the net"

morse250r
02-20-2007, 12:03 PM
the rule for extremes............ what ever paddle you get its like running one more paddle on a hauler example 9 paddle exteme = 10 paddle hauler

cjkranz
02-20-2007, 01:56 PM
We all run the 9 paddle extreme on a 10" wheel. We ride only sand and use them on YFZ 450's, Raptor 660's, 4 and 7 mill Banshee's, 450R's (including 520R). We have tried anywhere from 6-10 paddles and we all think for an all around straight paddle, the 9 Extreme works best (again, this is on a 10" wheel, not 8)

sandmanblue
02-20-2007, 02:01 PM
We all run the 9 paddle extreme on a 10" wheel. We ride only sand and use them on YFZ 450's, Raptor 660's, 4 and 7 mill Banshee's, 450R's (including 520R). We have tried anywhere from 6-10 paddles and we all think for an all around straight paddle, the 9 Extreme works best (again, this is on a 10" wheel, not 8)

Sand varies from place to place. If you're riding in OK, and he's in CA, you have to take that into account. The hills are different, the sand is different, lot's of stuff to consider.

z400roosteR
02-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Although i agree with you 250r4life is going to call you a complete moron because a 450 should have 6 and only 6 paddles. just wait..:devil:

As for the original post i would personally go with the extreme's they are the same paddle height wise, the difference is the extreme's paddle/cup are an 1/8th of an inch thicker and are much more durable.

250r4life
02-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by z400roosteR
Although i agree with you 250r4life is going to call you a complete moron because a 450 should have 6 and only 6 paddles. just wait..:devil:

As for the original post i would personally go with the extreme's they are the same paddle height wise, the difference is the extreme's paddle/cup are an 1/8th of an inch thicker and are much more durable.

if you'll notice, that over in the LTR forum you were the one who started calling people out cuz you didnt agree with the amount of paddles they were running...

and the way you came across is why you were treated as you were...

and yes, i do think that some of those bikes are over powered also... the banshees and 520r could probably run it, but say the raptor 660 is likely overpowered... and all these bikes have considerably more power than your Z400

z400roosteR
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
that's besides the fact, i'm calling you on the fact you said 8-9 paddles is too much for a 450....PERIOD. if you think my 435 is over paddled then that's fine i'm done arguing with that. I'm speaking strictly of the 450's.

250r4life
02-21-2007, 07:59 PM
that's besides the fact, i'm calling you on the fact you said 8-9 paddles is too much for a 450....PERIOD. if you think my 435 is over paddled then that's fine i'm done arguing with that. I'm speaking strictly of the 450's.

did i not say that i would not run 9s on a 450? in fact i beleive i stated this twice in this thread alone...

i stand by it...

250r4life
02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
ps... coming here trying to invoke the help of people who are running more paddles isnt going to help your cause...

to be honest- my bike is probably overpaddled as well... it sure isnt underpaddled ill tell you that... they dont make 7 paddle sand stars though...

z400roosteR
02-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
ps... coming here trying to invoke the help of people who are running more paddles isnt going to help your cause...

to be honest- my bike is probably overpaddled as well... it sure isnt underpaddled ill tell you that... they dont make 7 paddle sand stars though...
You run sand stars so i value nothing you have to say about paddles anymore(although i never did in the first place.:devil: )

250r4life
02-22-2007, 07:58 AM
You run sand stars so i value nothing you have to say about paddles anymore(although i never did in the first place.:devil: )

yep, and with my heavy sand stars i would still smoke you with whatever paddle you decided to run...

of course, you would lose by more if you continued to run your overpaddled 8s...

250r4life
02-22-2007, 08:18 AM

ok, well you ride a z400... game over- i win you lose :devil:

z400roosteR
02-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Here let me post some of the bikes in my group like you do...

05' 434(5) z w/ cams intake slip on and 8 PADDLES!!!!
05 banshee intake, t6's, milled head 8 PADDLES!!!!
06 ban intake, Paul turners+fat boys, mild port and polish8 PADDLES!!!!
96 ban 4 mil stroker, Cpi's, bigger carbs and more, running9-10 PADDLES!!!!
05 yfz450 high comp pist, full HMF, intake, cam tweak...9 PADDLES!!!
06 450r HRC kit full LRD..9 PADDLES!!!!!
05 Rap660...bored and cammed, full LRD, 9PADDLES!!!!!!!

K so i could jump on atleast half of them and whipe your *** off the map. So stfu on the Z **** M'Kay?

z400roosteR
02-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Should i post every bike in the garage like you do? Then you will not be running your mouth so much.

I choose to post up my project bike in my sig not every one i own and have owned..INCLUDING THE GRIPS LMFAO...Lame dick

250r4life
02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Here let me post some of the bikes in my group like you do...

05' 434(5) z w/ cams intake slip on and 8 PADDLES!!!!
05 banshee intake, t6's, milled head 8 PADDLES!!!!
06 ban intake, Paul turners+fat boys, mild port and polish8 PADDLES!!!!
96 ban 4 mil stroker, Cpi's, bigger carbs and more, running9-10 PADDLES!!!!
05 yfz450 high comp pist, full HMF, intake, cam tweak...9 PADDLES!!!
06 450r HRC kit full LRD..9 PADDLES!!!!!
05 Rap660...bored and cammed, full LRD, 9PADDLES!!!!!!!

K so i could jump on atleast half of them and whipe your *** off the map. So stfu on the Z **** M'Kay?

im sure you could 400 boy...

250r4life
02-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Should i post every bike in the garage like you do? Then you will not be running your mouth so much.

I choose to post up my project bike in my sig not every one i own and have owned..INCLUDING THE GRIPS LMFAO...Lame dick

the fact of the matter is you still own and ride the 400...

and even if you did get some oury grips it will still be lame...

easy 400 boy...

250r4life
02-22-2007, 04:43 PM

i guess i should at least give you the credit that you recognize you would need to get on a different bike to be able to have a chance against me... :devil:

Zero74
02-23-2007, 11:43 AM
I hear a challenge... We should go to glamis map out a race say from the canal through dunes too the bar in boardmanville. Doesn't matter who wins(well to some it might), it would be a good time.

Zero74
02-23-2007, 11:43 AM
I hear a challenge... We should go to glamis map out a race say from the canal through dunes too the bar in boardmanville. Doesn't matter who wins(well to some it might), it would be a good time.