View Full Version : 2006 kickstart CDI verses 2006er?!!!!

andy roth
02-16-2007, 11:33 AM
I read somewhere that the Honda reps say that the 06-07r CDI's are different than the 06-07er. They say the kicker CDI starts firing at 350 rpms verses the er at 750. Anyone else heard of this and can someone try the kicker CDI on a er to see if it fires quicker? There is different part numbers for the CDI's.

lumi
02-16-2007, 12:02 PM
from atv off road

"Secondly because we feel the difference in the ignition between the electric and the kick start is enough to keep this thing from its full potential."

when speaking about the build ofr a 06 450r.

-lumi

lumi
02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
also....

"upon installation the quad was sent to the dino for testing and Arlen noticed a nice improvement over the electric start models. The power curve showed that the kick start model was good for roughly 1 hp over the E-start version and the engine revved more freely as well. Which is something I had noted on my initial test of the stock units, so I was happy to here we were on the same page as far as that went. As far as the 50 hp that the factory had claimed....well we ended up close with a solid 49"

-lumi

andy roth
02-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Still would like to know if the er engine starts better with the kicker CDI. I hope someone can try this.

400exrider0004
02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I would like to know if it is true also!

lumi
02-16-2007, 05:39 PM
alright according to dirtwheels magazine

"Each of the two machines have there own wiring looms that control the point where the machine fires up........this is another reason the kick-starter cannot be added to the electric start version"

-lumi

400exrider0004
02-16-2007, 06:13 PM
so lumi do you have the different cdi in your bike??? Also with all these quotes are you saying yes its different or what?

tooanxiousii
02-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Last year I ran a 05 450r cdi (procom) and it didn't start any better...

lumi
02-16-2007, 07:46 PM
yea these sources have lead me to believe there different cdi's for both machines.

two cases here.

ignition type purposes:

now i dont see a problem for the kicker using a e-start but i can see a potential problem using a kicker cdi on a e-start machne because it would fire too soon for the e-start system.

the starter clutch is almost like a centrifugal type of clutch, u can say that i guess and if it doesnt get spinning at a certain rpm there wont be enough force to seperate the sprags and i guess that can momentarly wear out the starter clutch very fast.

as to a kick start its kick and fire.

the e-start just needs a different type of cdi so it can start easier pretty much.

the kicker ignition point is just the safe ignition zone nothing special for it.

but there is now reason to believe theres a different curve from a kicker cdi and or a more power from it...

different dynos ,differnt days, just too much varibales.

now than again a different curve in a cdi sometimes leads people to believe there different or more power in the machine because of were it hits and the powerband is at.

and others have said after the rpm ignition zones the curve and cdi characteristics are the same.

please someone add or correct me with any misleading info.

i hope this helps put some Myth's to sleep.

-lumi

400exrider0004
02-16-2007, 09:14 PM
thank you for clearing it up

Rich250RRacer
02-17-2007, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by andy roth
I read somewhere that the Honda reps say that the 06-07r CDI's are different than the 06-07er. They say the kicker CDI starts firing at 350 rpms verses the er at 750. Anyone else heard of this and can someone try the kicker CDI on a er to see if it fires quicker? There is different part numbers for the CDI's.

Here's the thread I posted.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=279391