PDA

View Full Version : Need more ground clearance

SteveWR450F
02-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Girlfriend has 05 TRX 400. We ride in the NW. Tight single track stuff with lots of rocks and roots. She needs more ground clearance. I dont want to spend too much. She is not super agressive rider - so leaning towards biggers wheels/tires than upgrading the suspension.

So . . . I dont want the quad to look like big foot but I would like it to have a few more inches of clearance. Any recommendations for good tire/wheel combos. I was leaning toward ITP or Maxxis rubber. Whatever wheel I get I want it be able to mount up to stock hub. I am a motorcycle guy so please enlighten me.

Also thinking about getting her a White Bros E2 pipe. I have one on my WR. Anybody use that pipe? Good feedback? Any other pipes to suggest that are not too loud?

Thanks, Steve

hornetgod13
02-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Swap out the stock 20 inch rear tires for atleast 22 inch tires(22x11x9) and replace the 22 inch stock fronts with 23 inch tires (23x7x10). That will raise it up a bit. I would go with 6 ply tires like Kenda Klaw XCR/XCF or HoleShot HD.

Honda#4
02-16-2007, 10:41 AM
The HD front only comes in 23 not the rear so your gonna have to find a different tire for the back to run. I would'nt run the HD fronts in mud they suck, I suggest gettings the GNCC's or the Klaws.

SteveWR450F
02-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Stupid question - do I have to run a different size rim with 23 inch front and 22 inch rear?

Change gearing? I must have flunked math but . . . wont running a larger tire cause it to loose low down torque but add top speed. If so, then should I add a tooth on the rear sprocket?

hornetgod13
02-16-2007, 11:02 AM
The front sits higher than the rear. Stock sizes are 22 front 20 rear. If you put 22's on the front and rear than the front will sit a couple inches lower. It will ride differently.

400exrider707
02-16-2007, 11:28 AM
How much clearance are you trying to gain? Putting a 1 inch larger tire on front and two inch larger rear is only a gain of 1/2in up front and 1in in the rear...

You are correct it will have a higher top speed, and lose acceleration, both from the bigger tire and the weight of the tire itself. You can choose to regear if you want, but not necessary. I would just drop a tooth on the front personally, especially for woods riding.

Those tires will fit the stock rim, just make sure the last number of the tire size matches your wheel diameter. Fronts are 10" rears are 9". Hubs are generally not changed on quads, some buy aftermarket but thats just for cool looks and improved strenght, but not necessary at all.

northwest Texas
02-16-2007, 12:02 PM
A good all around tire for your needs would be a Maxxis All Trak. They are great in all the types of terrain I've ridden them on.

They're reasonably inexpensive too.

I know it don't sound like much but I didn't have much "clanking" off my skid plate when I've run them vs. the stock size (20") While it may not sound like much, that inch can make a huge difference.

kurtdsmith13
02-16-2007, 09:22 PM
The HD's are supposed to be 22 rear, but they actually seem a little bigger than that. I think it is because the tread is so deep.

hondaracer57
02-16-2007, 09:50 PM
i have 23" holeshot HD's in the front and 450r front shocks and i have tons of ground clearance..the rear ive got adjustable linkage on the rear shock so i can lower it and lift it and 20" maxxis I radials and i pretty much have too try to hit a rock on the trail too bottom out...