PDA

View Full Version : Glowing!

ShiftFMX
02-16-2007, 08:52 AM
I know theres been alot of Questions about this. But last night was by far the reddest I have ever seen my header. I was riding in the snow and there was alot of high revving and tire spinning (no air on the header), lol. I'm Running...

Rossier
UNI filter
CRF needle on the 3rd clip
185 main
50 pilot
Open airbox
AF screw at 2 1/2

Should I try a 52 pilot? I heard this will fix the problem...?

Scro
02-16-2007, 08:56 AM
It's normal at night. They get red in the daytime too, it's just not as noticable. I wouldn't worry about it.

ghott
02-16-2007, 10:23 AM
First several inches of the pipe WILL glow at night.

Like previously stated, you don't notice this during the daytime b/c you can't see it.

BUT...if you think you're lean. Do a plug chop and see how she's runnin. And, if you're not popping on decel, I would leave the pilot alone....not very many people run a 52 pilot.

czrider263
02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
yeah your fine!

ShiftFMX
02-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by ghott
First several inches of the pipe WILL glow at night.

Like previously stated, you don't notice this during the daytime b/c you can't see it.

BUT...if you think you're lean. Do a plug chop and see how she's runnin. And, if you're not popping on decel, I would leave the pilot alone....not very many people run a 52 pilot.

Thats another thing, is does kinda gargle on Decel, no backfiring or anything like that though

Sjorge450R
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Thats another thing, is does kinda gargle on Decel, no backfiring or anything like that though

i pulled my needle up one slot and it clearned my gargle.

ShiftFMX
02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
I'll try putting it on the 4th clip, getting to the 450r carb is such a PITA!!

JW450R1
02-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I went with a fatter slow jet.My glowing pipe never came back.And it gave me a little more on bottom end too.

Sjorge450R
02-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
I'll try putting it on the 4th clip, getting to the 450r carb is such a PITA!!

never say that until you work on a 300ex!!! lol

450rcrazy022692
02-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
never say that until you work on a 300ex!!! lol

I agree with that, i have worked on both and the 300 is a big PIA but i think the 450r spark plug frustrates me more to get out.

Also i started my quad a few days ago to go riding and my pipe started to glow and stuff, but i read this thread a few days before riding and was like oo i guess its normal due to the cold weather and stuff......It turned out i F*cked up pretty bad and rode for a whole day with no jet in my carb because it fell out. I havent started it up yet with my bigger jet for the cold weather installed, and i have been crapping myself that i screwed up my engine work. Do you think it would have screwed it up for riding 3 hours like that?

Sjorge450R
02-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by 450rcrazy022692
I agree with that, i have worked on both and the 300 is a big PIA but i think the 450r spark plug frustrates me more to get out.

Also i started my quad a few days ago to go riding and my pipe started to glow and stuff, but i read this thread a few days before riding and was like oo i guess its normal due to the cold weather and stuff......It turned out i F*cked up pretty bad and rode for a whole day with no jet in my carb because it fell out. I havent started it up yet with my bigger jet for the cold weather installed, and i have been crapping myself that i screwed up my engine work. Do you think it would have screwed it up for riding 3 hours like that?

i dont think so. You were just getting way too much gas, surprise you were able to ride.

Also, i have no problem getting the 450 spark plug out without removing any plastic.

JW450R1
02-18-2007, 05:53 AM
450r spark u need to use your tool kit tools.I have no problem without removing the plastics too.

450rdominator
02-19-2007, 09:00 AM
turn the timing screw ( right above the header) counter clockwise till the bike stops glowing and you can turn the screw till you think the bike sounds just right!!!

d3ktrix
02-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by 450rdominator
turn the timing screw ( right above the header) counter clockwise till the bike stops glowing and you can turn the screw till you think the bike sounds just right!!!

huh?

lumi
02-20-2007, 09:41 AM
honda sent a "WRENCH" paper like usual to there techs explaining that if a customer complains about a glowing header to explain to them that it is completly normal.

i aswell agree that the pipe should glow the few inches but should never glow towards the end.

-lumi

speedfreaksguy
02-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by lumi
honda sent a "WRENCH" paper like usual to there techs explaining that if a customer complains about a glowing header to explain to them that it is completly normal.

-lumi

True, but at the bottom of that letter it explains how to fix it. They just don't want to have to fine tune every bike they sell.

lumi
02-20-2007, 10:39 AM
there explanantion as i remember was a quad running really lean, but that would result in the header glowing deep into the header and i would rejet if this is a issue with anyones bike. also they said it was because the light weight alloy they used. but im not header expert

-lumi

JW450R1
02-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm a honda fan for years.I really think honda is trying to out of helping out there custumers for there own mistakes.If a peice of metal getting cherry red there is a problem somewhere and it's not the custumer.

450rJam
02-20-2007, 03:59 PM
when the temp drops it changes the air fuel ratio much like altitude or humidity.

if its a little lean at 70 degrees it will really lean out at 20 degrees.
alot of winter riders rejet for the cold.

better rich than lean for reliability.