PDA

View Full Version : Making a double wide bearing carrier

redline400ex
02-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Well after 7 years of riding my 2000 400ex is finally due for an axel rebuild... I've decided instead of replacing the axel, I'm going to get it build up by a machinest and also make the axel so it will take 2 bearings on each side of it instead of just the one on each side...And get the carrier machined to take an extra 2 bearings. Should save alot of money and also bearings will last longer, I hope...lol. Alot less money than buying a new axel and carrier... So ordered a couple sets of bearings back break pads and it will be good to go, in perfect condition... O and I decided to order front bearings at the same time... Someone also told me that the 450R honda carrier will fit in a 400ex and has double bearings, so if you could get one cheap enough that would be an option also, same as the swingarm and I believe it is alittle longer...

Later

redline400ex
03-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Ok so I took my regular bearing carrier to a machinest, they machined it out so it would fit 2 bearings on each side, half way done it broke because there wasn't enough material... So before you try this make sure you get someone to weld in the thing solid first, but then the next problem was after they got the welding done, I guess they have to bake it or something, Well the thing srunk if you can believe that...lol so now it's the same length as the 450r carrier which is fine if you don't want to use the back break accembly... But I'll think of something there when the time comes, So I start putting the axel in the carrier and for some reason the break plate is rubbing...Why because they never machined it out enough, so now I have to take it back to the machinest and take out allitle more... Mind you when this is done it will be better and stronger than any stock bearing carrier, but the time and money for kinda guessing what to do is costing the same as a new one.... Someone hopefully will learn from my mistake, but it would be cheaper if I did it all again because I learn from my mistakes....lol

Anyways my new carrier that I ordered will be here in one week and when my old one is done, I will have a wicked spare...

Sorry this is so long just figured this is good info for someone that would be thinking of saving a little cash, You decide...lol