PDA

View Full Version : air scoops

NRTHBUSH
02-16-2007, 06:02 AM
ok ive only ridden my bike in below freezing temperatures. does the the motor get realy hot in the summer time? and do air scoops realy do that much more for cooling it? pro's/ cons??

im actualy preparing it right now for a trip down to utah to little sahara dunes..

Honda#4
02-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Air scoops don't do much maybe alittle if your going fast enough but there mainly for looks and stickers.

NRTHBUSH
02-16-2007, 08:20 AM
any problems over heating?

hornetgod13
02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I have air scoops installed. Where I live, in the summer it gets up in the 100's during the day time. I run a oil temperature dipstick and monitor it to ensure I don't over heat the motor. Before I installed the air scoops my oil temperature was 225 to 275 and I shut it down once when I saw it jump up to 300 on a really hot day. Once I put the air scoops on that same summer, I was running 200 to 250. In the winter months here the combonation of the scoops and cooler temperatures (60's), has the oil temp at 175 to 225.
You're going to get mixed opinions on this website. I feel that they make a difference. It really depends on your riding style. You must ride at a decent speed to generate enough airflow through the scoops to benifiet from them. They suit my riding style and I would swear by them. I've seen my oil temperature drop once I started using them. It's an air cooled motor and any extra air flow you can direct towards the oil cooler and around the cylinder head air fins can only help. Another plus that Honda#4 mentioned is they look great.
I purchased mine from http://www.metalmasterfabrication.com/400_ex.htm for $45.99. They are laser cut black powder coated 16 Gauge carbon steel. Perfect fit and flawlessly painted. They install in minutes and no modifications are needed to you frame or plastics.

hornetgod13
02-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Side view. I added the vynil Honda Racing sticker myself.

Honda#4
02-16-2007, 10:26 AM
it gets 80 to 90 here maybe 100 couple days but my bike hardly ever overheats, i've never noticed a difference in temp running the scoops or not

NRTHBUSH
02-16-2007, 10:44 AM
i guess like most things its personal prefrence......
im guessing most people are runing skid plates and nerf bars.
i definitly want nerf bars since i have already tried to run over my own leg. but skid plates im not shure about. maybe is hold get them just because down the road with my luck a rock will jump out and bite my crank case.

Honda#4
02-16-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't run skids or nothin on my quad and I even go in fields, but I do run nerfs, never know when your foot might slip off the pegs, make sure when you buy nerfs buyem with heel guards on cus they still can go in between the nerfs and the tire and results in a broken ankle or leg.

FastestBlaster
02-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I don't run skids or nothin on my quad and I even go in fields, but I do run nerfs, never know when your foot might slip off the pegs, make sure when you buy nerfs buyem with heel guards on cus they still can go in between the nerfs and the tire and results in a broken ankle or leg.

not if u leave the stock heel guards in

hornetgod13
02-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I have nerfs and a full set of skid plates on my quad. My nerf bars allow the stock heel guards to remained installed.

Honda#4
02-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Thats fine as well, I was just telling him in the future if he buys some nerfs, nothing wrong with using the stock heel guards. I don't use the stock ones they collect to much snow in the winter then it messes up with my footing on the pegs.

SandNut777
02-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey all

Stock heal guards are for girls LOL. just kidding . But a nice set of nerfs are the bomb if you have the dough to lay down on them. AC blacklines or just standards are nice they can save you heals or even you legs, and they look cool to.Oh about the air scoops they are a plus if your a all out fast rider and you have no snorkle installed, and they look cool to. Its get hot around here also 90's and up I have not had a problem with my machine overheating yet. Good Luck. Heres mine, a friend of mine made them he has a break so he bent me up a pair Sweet. good to have friends.

NRTHBUSH
02-19-2007, 11:08 PM
im a welder so i can probaly fab up some cool looking scoops.
also what kind of skids should i look at should i go full or just swing arm and engine

02-20-2007, 08:56 AM
They can lower temps by 5 degrees. They work best at high speed.

If your trying to run cool then

Bigger oil tank = -10
bigger oil cooler = -50
Air scoops = -5

An after market exhaust also helps run cooler too by letting the hot gassesg get out quicker.

The 400ex was built for heat. It may run hot but it can take it. :macho

hornetgod13
02-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by NRTHBUSH
What kind of skids should i look at should i go full or just swing arm and engine

I highly recommend a good quality 1/4" swingarm skid plate for starters. I have a full set of skid plates made by Cobra USA. Cobra's skid plates are a bit more expensive than most others but, the weld quality, craftsmanship, and fitment make them well worth the money.

http://www.cobrausa.com/content/index.cfm?siteaction=ATVPartlist&bikeID=70

mattn03
02-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I run a oil temperature dipstick and monitor it to ensure I don't over heat the motor.

Where can I find a oil temperature dipstick? Any pics of yours?

hoodie
02-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Oil temp guage (http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1010&category_id=127&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77) You can find it there. only 40 bucks. not to bad if you ask me.

mattn03
02-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by hoodie
Oil temp guage (http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1010&category_id=127&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77) You can find it there. only 40 bucks. not to bad if you ask me.

Thanks!

hornetgod13
02-20-2007, 04:06 PM
The XRs Only Oil Temperature Dip Stick is what I have installed. It cost $39.95. It has a 50 to 350 degree range and it screws in to the oil tank where the stock dip stick goes.

http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1010&category_id=127&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77&vmcchk=1

Here's another thread on the subject with more info and other photos.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=265771&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

trx400EXtreme
02-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by SandNut777
Hey all

Stock heal guards are for girls LOL. just kidding . But a nice set of nerfs are the bomb if you have the dough to lay down on them. AC blacklines or just standards are nice they can save you heals or even you legs, and they look cool to.Oh about the air scoops they are a plus if your a all out fast rider and you have no snorkle installed, and they look cool to. Its get hot around here also 90's and up I have not had a problem with my machine overheating yet. Good Luck. Heres mine, a friend of mine made them he has a break so he bent me up a pair Sweet. good to have friends.

i got those same nerfs. i love 'em!

mattn03
02-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
The XRs Only Oil Temperature Dip Stick is what I have installed. It cost $39.95. It has a 50 to 350 degree range and it screws in to the oil tank where the stock dip stick goes.

http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1010&category_id=127&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77&vmcchk=1

Here's another thread on the subject with more info and other photos.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=265771&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Thanks for the info! ;)

Eviltanker
02-21-2007, 07:42 AM
I got Proarmor skids and I am glad I went full.

Eviltanker
02-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Also Tinners scoops, Got them for less than $40

DF400ex
02-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
i got those same nerfs. i love 'em!

Same here. The first thing I did when I bought my 400 was put a set of AC Pro-Pegs on it. The guy I bought it from removed the stock heal guards so there was no protection for your feet. Not smart if you ask me. The Double wide pegs are nice to.

trx400EXtreme
02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by DF400ex
Same here. The first thing I did when I bought my 400 was put a set of AC Pro-Pegs on it. The guy I bought it from removed the stock heal guards so there was no protection for your feet. Not smart if you ask me. The Double wide pegs are nice to.

ya def. ever since i bought nerfs with heelgaurds, i wouldnt buy another pair without 'em.

hornetgod13
02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by NRTHBUSH
Skid plates im not shure about. maybe is hold get them just because down the road with my luck a rock will jump out and bite my crank case.

I went with a full set of Cobra Skid Plates. Here's a photo. I drilled an extra 1 inch hole for the crankcase oil to drain out. Cobra USA makes some of the best skid plates and are some of the thickest in the business.
http://www.cobrausa.com/content/index.cfm?siteaction=ATVPartlist&bikeID=70

bagged92sdime
02-28-2007, 12:26 PM
im just wondering..i just got a set of rpm air scoops off of ebay, but i cant figure out how to mount them...the only way they seem to work makes them basicaly straight with the bike...anybody else have the rpm scoops??? if so, please post pics..lol