PDA

View Full Version : 250R lights

garrettagr
02-15-2007, 10:06 PM
New to the 250R light thing. Always ran mine without lights or some that were barely sufficient at best. Wanting to go with a good setup before I kill myself at night. What do you suggest? Is it worth the money to put HID lights on it? OR should i go with some big halogens?

svahle
02-16-2007, 07:21 AM
I have had good luck with halogens. I recently added some lights from Optilux which is apparently owned by Hella. They work pretty good and cost only about $40.00. However, I have heard good things about the lights from Trail tech, Lazer Star, and Ricky Stator.

One of the limiting factors is the stock stator. With the stock stator, two 35w lights are all that you can run. Ricky Stator has 200w stators that permit additional or higher wattage lights.

I don't have personal experience with the HID lights. I can only imagine they are superior to the halogen lights. Of course, you will need to make sure the HID system will work with the stock stator unless you go with a higher wattage stator.

I hope this helps a little.

On a side note, make sure you have a voltage regulator or you will burn out bulbs. We have purchased 4 Rs in the last year. Only one of them had a voltage regulator. Fortunately, I was able to buy them off ebay for under $10.00

wilkin250r
02-16-2007, 03:18 PM
The stock system on a 250r is AC (Alternating Current). HID lighting would require you to reconfigure your system for DC (Direct Current) output. It's not impossible, but it's not exactly a piece-of-cake either.

D Bergstrom
02-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
The stock system on a 250r is AC (Alternating Current). HID lighting would require you to reconfigure your system for DC (Direct Current) output. It's not impossible, but it's not exactly a piece-of-cake either.

Actually, it is pretty easy. I have Baja Designs dual HID race lights that I use both on my 250R and my 450R. When I bought them, Baja Designs included a custom wire harness for my 250R (the 450R is already DC) that included a rectifier/regulator and a battery. Plugged right in and all I had to do was find a place to mount everything and run the wires. I think Trailtech also has a setup to convert to DC. The wiring is not that difficult, and I am sure you can buy the parts from either Baja Designs, Trailtech, or maybe even Ricky Stator and I am sure they can help with the install.

As far as the original questions, it depends on what you want to spend. You can buy a couple 35 watt lights and probably would be alright. You could get a stator rewind and get dual halogens (Look at www.rickystator.com and see his Baja2 dual light kit) or you could go all out and buy HID's. I have owned them all, and HID's blow everything away, but the are VERY expensive compared to the other options. I attached a pic of my quad below with my light setup on it. If you are a recreational rider, that only occasionally rides at night, I bet you would be more them happy with the stator rewind and the dual halogens.

Doug

DanW
02-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
Actually, it is pretty easy. I have Baja Designs dual HID race lights that I use both on my 250R and my 450R. When I bought them, Baja Designs included a custom wire harness for my 250R (the 450R is already DC) that included a rectifier/regulator and a battery. Plugged right in and all I had to do was find a place to mount everything and run the wires. I think Trailtech also has a setup to convert to DC. The wiring is not that difficult, and I am sure you can buy the parts from either Baja Designs, Trailtech, or maybe even Ricky Stator and I am sure they can help with the install.

As far as the original questions, it depends on what you want to spend. You can buy a couple 35 watt lights and probably would be alright. You could get a stator rewind and get dual halogens (Look at www.rickystator.com and see his Baja2 dual light kit) or you could go all out and buy HID's. I have owned them all, and HID's blow everything away, but the are VERY expensive compared to the other options. I attached a pic of my quad below with my light setup on it. If you are a recreational rider, that only occasionally rides at night, I bet you would be more them happy with the stator rewind and the dual halogens.

Doug

I raced in the 12 hours of Texas last year. Quads with the HID lights like yours would come up behind me and it was CRAZY BRIGHT! It's just like riding during the day!