PDA

View Full Version : UNI filter help!

nowukno
02-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I just got my UNI filter & oiled it. I noticed that it does not have a bracket like a K&N towards the rear of the quad. I was wondering if anyoe has ever had any issues with the UNI falling off? Im going to birch creek saturday & im worried that the filter might fall out of the intake boot. Please give me some info , thanks.

ghott
02-15-2007, 11:02 PM
The UNI should have a "cage" spark arrestor inside it. This cage has a firm plastic lip which fits INSIDE the intake boot. Then, the filter clamps around the OUTSIDE of the intake boot.

The spark arrestor "cage" insert makes for a very firm filter-to-boot mount...so you shouldn't have to worry about the filter falling off if you have the air filter clamp pretty tight.

After installing the filter, you may want to wiggle it around a bit to see how firmly it is mounted, and to see if it will fall off with a bit of turbulence.

And FYI...that well oiled UNI will filter 10 times better than the K&N!

04450rrider
02-16-2007, 07:21 AM
I have one on my 450 that isn't held on in the back and i have never had a problem with it falling off. The cage on the inside gives a a nice firm hold. I wouldnt worry about it.

N300exJ
02-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Yup just like above this post no worries as long as the cage inside the filter is in all the way and the filter is on good and the filter clamp is tight. K&N filters are only good for non dusty and dirty conditions. So basiclly there no good at all. A UNI filter is a better choice by far.

ShiftFMX
02-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Had mine for awhile now and it hasn't budged!

hendershot106
02-16-2007, 09:48 AM
yep --- no problem with the uni racing at all--- just push from the back till you feel it seat into the carb boot and hold it there while you tighten the clamp.

nowukno
02-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys , i got it installed and i can actually pull the quad by the filter if it's in neutral. So i don't think it's coming off. I have decided to remove the EHS racing airbox lid since the UNI filters so much better than the K&N. Has anybody had any trouble with running a UNI & no lid?

hendershot106
02-16-2007, 12:25 PM
as cheap as the uni's are--- i recommend buying a second one-- especially for race weekends -- one for sat and one for sunday--- and no=== no trouble while running without lid--- did it all year long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( just use plenty of oil) and keep em clean!!