PDA

View Full Version : intake and exaust questions

MX450
02-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Would a full exhaust, cherry bomb, and pro design "pro flo" kit with airbox lid off be a good setup?

Would anything need to be done to the EFI with those mods, or can you bolt on and go?

HiperEX
02-15-2007, 08:54 PM
you really should get a pim or powercommander with full exhaust and intake the cherrybomb isnt enough

MX450
02-15-2007, 09:13 PM
those are the $300+ command module things arent they??

would it be bad to run full pipe/filter and a cherry bomb or just not the most performance out of it?

FUELATV
02-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Testing has shown a few things.

1. You can run MOST pipes with just a cherry bomb, no lid and a pro design intake.

2. You will gain more HP though out the powerband by adding a PIM, Power commander or other contraller as long as you get the correct a/f.

3. the pro design intake will not make any more HP or flow any better then the stock air filter. I have done dyno testing. For even more proof of this go to the power comander website. It says all maps are good for stock filter or Pro design filter ...... that because it does not flow any more air.

LTR450_#67
02-16-2007, 12:40 AM
The only thing the Prodesign has over the stocker is that it seals better utilizing a clamp-on type filter.

later
Aaron

P.S. Ask FUELATV about the intake he made for his LTR........

FUELATV
02-16-2007, 08:35 AM
As some of you may or may not know for the past 6 months we have been working on an airbox eliminator/ intake for the LTR450. We have done the final testing and this part is now INSTOCK and ready to ship.The FUELATV intake and filter combo has be tested and designed to create velocity. This kit made just over 3 HP more the the stock airbox with the lid off and has proven on the dyno to make 2 more HP then just removing the airbox. We have done other testing and know that the Pro Design, trinity and mod quad K&N filters DO NOT makde any more HP then the stock filter. So here is what will come in the FUELATV intake kit ........ Oversized Custom designed K&N style filter, Oversized Billet intake ring with filter and intake boot clamping surfaces, a water repellent outerwear and a Black powdercoated aluminum mounting bracket. All of these parts will bolt right onto the bike with no modifications. You will completely remove the air box, then install my kit. I will also have a PIM map and Power Commander maps available on my website this week.

This is the PIM map i will have
1. Dasa pipe, FUELATV intake and PIM

These are the Power Commander Maps i will have
1. Dasa pipe, Power Commander and no air box lid
2. Dasa pipe, Power Commander and FUELATV intake

Sorry again for the crappy photos. This part looks SIK in person, but these are the best photos i have for now.

Here is the mounting bracket with TPS mounting holes
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE005.jpg

Here is the back side of the bracket
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE006.jpg

My filter next to a K&N filter that comes with the trinity, mod quad or pro design kit. The photo is kinda decieving. My filter look 3 times bigger in person.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE007.jpg

My filter next to a K&N filter that comes with the trinity, mod quad or pro design kit. Just so you can sww the larger openning and mounting surface. You can also start to see the cone inside that will direct air to the intake.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE008.jpg

Alittle better view of the cone.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE.jpg

FUELATV
02-16-2007, 08:39 AM
And a couple more ....

My filter next to a K&N filter that comes with the trinity, mod quad or pro design kit. You really start to see how much larger this filter is.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE010.jpg

Now this is mounted on the bike. The filter looks VERY close to the pipe, but it is not that close. It is just the angle of the photo.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE001.jpg

This angle gives you alittle better idea of the gap.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/LTR450INTAKE003.jpg

strubby
02-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Would you guys be interested in working on some sort of heat shield, or splash guard? I know some people have talked about trying to make their own.

AL Elks
02-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I really don't think you'll need it.

I've been running with no air box on my LTZ for 3 years now and I ride in EXTREMELY muddy conditions at times and my filter barely gets any mud on it at all.

MX450
02-16-2007, 08:09 PM
ok, so the pro design "pro flo" kit is a waste of money?

What about stock filter, no lid, full dasa pipe and cherry bomb, do i still need the commander thing

basically im trying to get a little more power of if it stock for the least amount of money,

im really not interested in an airbox eliminator kit, or making peak hp,

strubby
02-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by AL Elks
I really don't think you'll need it.

I've been running with no air box on my LTZ for 3 years now and I ride in EXTREMELY muddy conditions at times and my filter barely gets any mud on it at all.

Really? Is that because of where it's located? That's good to know though... just keep that bad boy clean.

blholtz
02-16-2007, 09:12 PM
My question about the airbox eliminator for the LTR is look at the proximity to the exhaust.

I wonder about the heat of the exhaust causing either the melting of the filter.

More so I wonder if keeping the the heat from the exhaust from being drawn into the engine would that help to improve the power gains (colder air is denser air).

LTR450_#67
02-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Well you can get the ProDesign and I think you should because it uses a better clamping setup than the stocker by far...... I think I am going to get FUELATVs intake after I get the 4x1 rims that I want for the front....but yeah I would rather spend a $100 on a better sealing filter than to spend a $1-2000 on a rebuilt engine do to a crappy stock filter sealing set-up. And if your not into getting the most out of your LTR its cheap, cuz you'll still be able to retain running a CherryBomb and be able to run just about every pipe except a DASA that I know of which is the TOP DOG exhaust system for the LTR. That doesn't limit you though cuz the other pipes are good too. Other excellent pipes would be: HMF, RAGE ATV, Yoshimura, Motorworks, FMF, and some others......

Hope thats help you with your decision while keeping it in your price range.

later
Aaron

MX450
02-17-2007, 02:04 PM
So i should NOT run a dasa with only a cherry bomb?

What about Sparks, I really like their pipes, they have a $250 commander... should i get that?

Ok so whats a safe setup to run with...

Sparks full system
ProDesign intake
No lid
Cherry bomb???

FUELATV
02-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by blholtz
My question about the airbox eliminator for the LTR is look at the proximity to the exhaust. I wonder about the heat of the exhaust causing either the melting of the filter. More so I wonder if keeping the the heat from the exhaust from being drawn into the engine would that help to improve the power gains (colder air is denser air).

First off the stock air box is even closer to the exhaust. The stock air box not only acts as a Heat sink, but it get hot fast and acts as an oven heating up the air in the air box before it goes into the filter. I have been running this setup for 8 months now and have countless hours on the Dyno. The filter is not going to melt. It really is nto that close to the canister. The air in the air box will be hotter air then the open air going into the air filter with the air box eliminator. Not to mention when you are ridding at 15 or faster the air box eliminator filter will be getting cold air. Hope this helps. This was not something that was just slapped together. Alot of R&D went into this part before it was released.

FUELATV
02-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by MX450
So i should NOT run a dasa with only a cherry bomb? What about Sparks, I really like their pipes, they have a $250 commander... should i get that?

Ok so whats a safe setup to run with...

Sparks full system
ProDesign intake
No lid
Cherry bomb???

I have not tested the sparks pipe. I have tested alot of other pipes. The Dasa pipe with the Power Commander is a very FAST setup. Then add my intake for another 3+HP. The Dasa REALLY needs more fuel then the cherry bomb map gives.

blholtz
02-17-2007, 05:40 PM
I was not trying to knock the package just thinking about the proximity to the exhaust.

And simply thinking along the line of having a open air filter in an engine compartment pulling in engine heat, didn't think about the air flowong around the engine a being cooler.

No harm meant.

FUELATV
02-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by blholtz
I was not trying to knock the package just thinking about the proximity to the exhaust. No harm meant.

Ohh i know ..... Sorry if i came across as defensive.

blholtz
02-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Not taken defensive just looked like clarification to me.

FUELATV
02-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Cool ....... i will post some dyno sheets soon.

Kenny231'sDad
03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
dyno sheets yet?

FUELATV
03-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Yes .... here you go.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d169/FUELATV2005/FUELATVintakeDynoruns.jpg

davidfrederick
03-23-2007, 06:17 PM
hey fuelatv
i have a question for you. i have yoshi exhaust and cherry bomb and power commander with no lid. when i put on the power commander, i dont think it made a differents. can i get your thoughts. please it would help thanks

FUELATV
03-23-2007, 08:42 PM
For the mods you have listed you only really need a cherry bomb. Now if you added my intake you would need a PC. With the Yoshi pipe, Cherry bomb and no air box lid the cherry bomb will work fine.

davidfrederick
03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
fuelatv
what is the price of that air filter ?

raptor_02
03-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey fuelatv, how much is that intake setup????? Is there anyway that you could design that setup and use a prodesign filter instead of a KN type. I'm not a fan of KN type filters for motocross. I don't feel they protect as well.

Speed_MDS2
03-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Fuels filter is an 8 layer k&n type, cleaned and oiled properly it will work just fine for motocross. Its a very nice set-up.

Baracudaaa
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Im running the FUEL eliminator kit, and race MX and Grand Prix. Its a great system, just requires a bit more cleaning since its hanging out in the open.