PDA

View Full Version : 400EX axle problems

04TRX400EX
02-15-2007, 07:31 PM
I was looking around online at axles for my 400 and came across some interesting info on Durablue's website ...

"Honda trx400ex -
This bike has a short swing arm that angles down excessively (look at the bike from the side). Due to the angularity of the swing arm, there is a tendency for the bike to “jam” the axle into ground, virtually eliminating the action of the suspension. Imagine the front end off the ground (as in landing a jump) and you will see that there is no suspension action at all. The entire mass of the bike and rider (not to mention the impact load) are landing entirely on the axle. Your bike, effectively, has no rear suspension. The result is a broken axle (if this impact exceeds the tensile strength of the shaft). Be aware that the axle is fine, the bike is not.

Look for a major redesign axle and swing arm combination from Durablue in the future. Until then, be prepared to replace many axles."

What are everyone's opinions on this? I have noticed recently the rather poor performance of my rebuilt rear shock and stock swingarm/axle. Will a longer or better swingarm help at all? What do people with aftermarket rear ends think?