PDA

View Full Version : pilot jetting

SuperChris
02-15-2007, 07:23 PM
I have never messed with pilot jetting before but it seems reasonable in my head that if the screw needs turned out to get a higher idle, then the jet is to big. The engine is more responsive with the screw turned out only about 1.5 turns, no matter what jet is in it, but idles faster with less response the more I turn it out. I have went from a 58 incrementally down to a 45 pilot. hat's my problem?

C-LEIGH RACING
02-15-2007, 08:05 PM
1.5 turns out is about right if your getting a good clean idle, but if you turn it out more & the engine revs some the pilot may be to lean.

I dont set mine to idle at all, they are rich enough that you chop the throttle & the engine shuts off.
This does several things,
1, the low side is rich enough that while racing & the throttle is chopped, when the rider gets back on the gas theres a good load of fuel waiting to supply the engine & not a dry spot.
2, no idle, from the jet being so rich is a tattletail of sorts, if the engine should ever start to idle or rev up with the throttle chopped, its telling you its getting air from somewhere & time to shut the engine down.
3, this is something I might not should say but it is a rider trainer as well, meaning the rider will run in a different way sence they know they have to stay on the gas just a little to keep the engine running.
For 1, they wont even realize it but it will make them go into the corners faster, not roll in, off the gas like a 4 stroke rider does.
Keeping the corner speeds up in the end will make for faster lap times & that could just very well win a race.

I would rate # 2 as being the most important.
Neil

wilkin250r
02-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
3, this is something I might not should say but it is a rider trainer as well, meaning the rider will run in a different way sence they know they have to stay on the gas just a little to keep the engine running.

Oh man, I did that once a few years ago, and I'll never do it again. Several times, my quad actually DIED through the corner, but I had enough speed to bump-start it again.

The very last corner was a hairpin turn. The quad died, and it almost didn't start again. It coughed, it sputtered, it chugged. I had a HUGE lead, there was nobody within 20 yards behind me, and I almost blew my trophy because of that stupid pilot.