PDA

View Full Version : Spring Removal=Ride Height??

bah1491
02-15-2007, 04:22 PM
I was just wonering....I have a set of works tripple rates, if i took off the top spring, would that give me a lower ride height? the shocks are fully adjustable, would i just have to compensate the shock travel loss by threading the pre-load adjustment all the way down? or is this a bad idea?

ZSNOW
02-15-2007, 05:37 PM
john natalie did this with his elkas...so i think it would work?:confused:

m.h.s.c.#527
02-15-2007, 05:42 PM
they are pressurized for the third spring i wouldnt do it

trx4ever
02-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Usually it won't sit higher, simply because the top spring is where u recieve most of your sag, I did this with my tcs shocks, they sagged nearly 4 inches I took off the top sag spring and and now it sag less and bottoms less , but sits a inch higher,

bradley300
02-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by ZSNOW
john natalie did this with his elkas...so i think it would work?:confused:

sort of. john did only have 3 springs, but the internals of the shock were also modified. without re-working the insides of the shock, this isnt really a god idea

TBD
02-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by bah1491
I was just wonering....I have a set of works tripple rates, if i took off the top spring, would that give me a lower ride height? the shocks are fully adjustable, would i just have to compensate the shock travel loss by threading the pre-load adjustment all the way down? or is this a bad idea?
OTE]Originally posted by bah1491

Removing a spring will make it sit higher. To make it sit lower you would need to back off on the preload against the spring and then you might even want to add small amount more of crossover so that you can retain some of the bottom resistanct you will lose when you run less preload. Come on guys, what the pro's do isn't always the answer and it is not always as simple as "Natalie removed one of his springs". Just because top notch riders do it doesn't make it right. Example: When Honda first started sponsoring quad racers back in 86 they would have all there sponsored riders go to the practice track to test. They would have there techs there and the box van. The quad would go into the box van to be worked on or not but they would never let the riders know. They would let each rider run the quad and then have them fill out a questioneer on what they thought of the changes. Long story short the guys who would say that it worked better when they did nothing at all would not be used for any further testing. Those guys were still excellent riders but they just couldn't really feel changes in set ups.

JOEX
02-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by TBD
...Example: When Honda first started sponsoring quad racers back in 86 they would have all there sponsored riders go to the practice track to test. They would have there techs there and the box van. The quad would go into the box van to be worked on or not but they would never let the riders know. They would let each rider run the quad and then have them fill out a questioneer on what they thought of the changes. Long story short the guys who would say that it worked better when they did nothing at all would not be used for any further testing. Those guys were still excellent riders but they just couldn't really feel changes in set ups.
This is interesting and sure makes sense.

bah1491
02-16-2007, 09:40 PM
I just switched to my other shocks, works with zps, so thats takin care of. How would removing the top spring give you a higher ride height???

TBD
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by bah1491
I just switched to my other shocks, works with zps, so thats takin care of. How would removing the top spring give you a higher ride height???

If you remove a spring all you will be doing is changing the spring length and then by removing that spring you will have elimenated some of the spring action. You will have actually made the spring set up stiffer by removing one of the springs. That extra spring that you are thinking of taking out to lower the quad is in there to actualy make it softer so it sits lower. I hope this made sense