View Full Version : tips please

ride red 14
02-15-2007, 03:39 PM
i am going to be racing the hairscramble races soon on my 400ex and any tips from any of you all who race or have raced in these any tips would be appreciated

xben719
02-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Skid plates, a good set of tires, and I like to coat my whole quad in WD-40(being careful around the brakes) before I race. My biggest tip though is to just have fun, don't worry about what place you come in. Harescramble racing is my favorite, it's just you and your quad conquering the terrian that God put there. You are going to need a tether kill switch to.

Amo la terra
02-15-2007, 04:27 PM
In my second series of MX, (Still learning)

teather (a must)
Nerf Bars (another must)
Can of PAM (alittle thicker than WD40 so not as messy)
Good set of tires (with proper air pressure)

Be sure to dial in your shocks according to the terrain you will be racing on, I adjust mine during practice before every race depending on the condition/type of the track as well as for the temperature.

In my opinion, suspension setup will win or loose you a race.

Just my .02 for whatever its worth.

ride red 14
02-15-2007, 04:39 PM
thanks alot guys i already have nerfs and brand new itp holeshots in the back and maxxis razors 2s in the front. i still need a teather switch tho

flauge
02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
I was just about to ask this question too scince Im planning on starting my first harescramble in either Apr or May.
Here's what i got on my checklist so far to make my bike xc worthy:
6 ply tires (klaws or razrs)
skids
handguards
450r front shocks(mabye revaled too if i have the money)
kill switch

Is there anything Im missing? I might need a few tips too since this'll be my first time racing:D thanks

RSWORDS
02-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by flauge
I was just about to ask this question too scince Im planning on starting my first harescramble in either Apr or May.
Here's what i got on my checklist so far to make my bike xc worthy:
6 ply tires (klaws or razrs)
skids
handguards
450r front shocks(mabye revaled too if i have the money)
kill switch

Is there anything Im missing? I might need a few tips too since this'll be my first time racing:D thanks

You forgot the most important part... Have fun! Also don't ride above you level, that could end you fun real quick. I promise you if you relax and have fun not worry about how you are doing yuo will be suprissed by the end of the season at how well you are doing.

xben719
02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
One of the great things about harescrambles is the fact that you don't need to put tons of money into a bike in order to be competative. I feel the 400ex is still the best choice for harescrambles.

chrisw70
02-15-2007, 05:53 PM
i still have stock shocks should that be ok??

Amo la terra
02-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by chrisw70
i still have stock shocks should that be ok??

I raced my first 4 or 5 races with stock front shocks, I never realized how much I got beatin up by the bike until I got a set of R shocks. HUGE difference, the most notable is the fact that you can set the rebound dampining so when you encounter a jump the shocks rebound more slowly and therefore not shooting you straight up in the air like a rocket :eek2: It also helps when you miss the landing and case the jump, something I am all too familar(sp) with. :(

If you have the means I highly recommend a set of R shocks at the least, you can pick up a set on Ebay for around $200.

Amo la terra
02-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Amo la terra
I raced my first 4 or 5 races with stock front shocks, I never realized how much I got beatin up by the bike until I got a set of R shocks. HUGE difference, the most notable is the fact that you can set the rebound dampining so when you encounter a jump the shocks rebound more slowly and therefore not shooting you straight up in the air like a rocket :eek2: It also helps when you miss the landing and case the jump, something I am all too familar(sp) with. :(

If you have the means I highly recommend a set of R shocks at the least, you can pick up a set on Ebay for around $200.

..R Front Shocks, the stock rear aleady has Compression and Rebound dampining.

ride red 14
02-16-2007, 06:34 AM
so i should worry about getting 450 fronts and not worrying about tha backs right now

flauge
02-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by RSWORDS
You forgot the most important part... Have fun! Also don't ride above you level, that could end you fun real quick. I promise you if you relax and have fun not worry about how you are doing yuo will be suprissed by the end of the season at how well you are doing. Thats the main thing i keep reminding myself but I know as soon as i get out there Im going to be all hyped up:devil: I cant wait:D
Hey Amo, those 450r shocks you bought.... You didnt get them revalved did you?? Are they a lot stiffer than stock??

Amo la terra
02-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Thats the main thing i keep reminding myself but I know as soon as i get out there Im going to be all hyped up:devil: I cant wait:D
Hey Amo, those 450r shocks you bought.... You didnt get them revalved did you?? Are they a lot stiffer than stock??

No I have not had them revalved...yet. I plan on having TCS rebuild them when I have the funds.

If not set correctly they are "stiffer" however you can adjust preload, compression dampining and rebound dampining so you can make them as soft as you want. (much softer than stock).

On the stock shocks your only option is 3 settings of preload w hich is useless from a racing perspective. The rebound on the springs even at the lowest level of preload is equivalent(sp) to a pogo stick.

Try this test, push on the front of your quad to compress your shocks then let go. Your springs will uncompress at about the same rate you are letting go.

On mine, I can compress the shocks then let go and the shocks take about 1 to 1 1/2 seconds to fully uncompress.

I'm am hoping to get them revalved soon, the difference between stock R shocks and revalved/re-sprung R shocks is also very dramatic.:D

flauge
02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Looks like thats the first thing im going to get then... I always figured that they would be too stiff for the 400 w/o being revalved...well they've got to be better than the stock pogos:p
Now all i have to do is figure out what tires i want to get.. klaws.. razrs... i cant make up my mind:scary:

Kaleigh
02-16-2007, 03:13 PM
if its muddy out.. spray some PAM on the underside of your plastics and other places that mud might stick.. this will help most of the mud stay off your machine while racing and keep the extra weight down..

flauge
02-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Pam? as in the cooking spray? Is it better than wd40??

ride red 14
02-18-2007, 06:57 AM
i never thought of that but it makes since now

flauge
02-18-2007, 07:02 AM
me neither:o But i guess if it keeps all your cakes & biscuits from sticking it oughta work on mud too LOL:blah:
I just thought of another thing.. How about a steering stabilizer? Would that be a good investment too??

ride red 14
02-18-2007, 07:29 AM
lol

Kaleigh
02-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Pam? as in the cooking spray? Is it better than wd40??

never tried wd40..

also with the 400ex's you can put foam rubber slices in the fines ot keep mud from sticking in there too.. this will help keep the engine a bit cooler.. then being caked with mud..

I use Pam cause I dont like the mud to be CAKED on my machine.. :p

czrider263
02-18-2007, 09:01 AM
stay on the gas as long as possible and be on the breaks as short as possible.

flauge
02-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
never tried wd40..

also with the 400ex's you can put foam rubber slices in the fines ot keep mud from sticking in there too.. this will help keep the engine a bit cooler.. then being caked with mud..

I use Pam cause I dont like the mud to be CAKED on my machine.. :p Yea wd 40 does alright at keeping the mud off but i havent tried pam yet..Looks like its time to raid momma's kitchen.lol:p

ride red 14
02-18-2007, 02:37 PM
im so excited i cant wait to race!!!!

flauge
02-22-2007, 06:59 AM
I cant wait either!
Get a load of where I'll be going to.:D http://www.sunnysideatv.com/
^ click there, then click on pictures...Looks like it'll be a lil bit sandy out there.:o Now Im about clueless on what tire to get. Will klaws, knarlys, or razrs be any good in that kind of stuff, or should i stick with the stock radials b/c i hear they're pretty good in sandy terrain.. what do yall think??

Eviltanker
02-22-2007, 07:22 AM
I would suggest either: http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=31124&nav=4&sMMY=HONDA;TRX400EX;2006

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=288767&nav=4&sMMY=HONDA;TRX400EX;2006

You don't need to get them from this site but it's worth a look at.

flauge
02-22-2007, 08:22 AM
I was kinda thinking klaws would be pretty good too since they can be turned around for the looser stuff. They were my first pick also so i guess i might as well stick with them. thanks:cool:

JAE400ex
02-22-2007, 02:06 PM
is the wd 40 for mud?

SandNut777
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey guys

Neither Pam or Crisco or WD-40. I have the slipperest thing you can find Tire Wetter you get it at any automotive store its the bomb for no Mud. Slide on Slide off. Try it sometime.

ride red 14
02-23-2007, 04:28 AM
i think im just going to keep my holeshots on or get some maxxis