PDA

View Full Version : 250r or 400ex

400ex18
02-15-2007, 10:39 AM
im looking to get a mx quad for this summer! I have a 400ex but i did not know witch one would be best for mx. Im just racin this quad tell after july! So what do u all think?

mad440
02-15-2007, 10:59 AM
personaly i love my ex wouldnt trade it for anything, but there is just somethin legandary about the old 250rs that has always cought my intrest and if i could afford one id buy one. my vote is 250r

02-15-2007, 11:08 AM
I loved my old 250R.

But there's a reason the ENTIRE MX world has switched to four strokes.

There power is much more usable and available.

If you want to be old school, go with the 250R.

If you want to be competetive, get the EX.

projectram
02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
I would go with the ex cause i wouldnt want to deal with the two stroke up keep. I have a buddy who used to race two stroke dirt bikes and he told he was constantly tearing it down and rebuilding it. I know you have to with four strokes aswell but not near as often. Thats just my 2 cents.

KB Motorsports
02-15-2007, 01:41 PM
I'd keep the 400ex that you have and spend the extra money on suspension.

DOHC
02-15-2007, 02:24 PM
I would go with the 250r, ive owned 2 stroke race bikes and 4 stroke race bikes and i like 2 strokes better. Alot of people are going to tell u that 4 strokes are better but thats not always the case. If ur a smaller guy the 2 stroke is alot better the mild power band is alot easier to control, the 4 stroke is better if ur bigger. The low end grunt may be to much if ur smaller. I owned a 2004 crf 250 all stock motor other than a chm system p 4r exaust. When i had the bike i was 14 (5,9 130 pounds) the torque was so hard for me to handle i did bad at any riding, where a cr 125 i could control. Me personaly will always love 2 strokes over 4 strokes cheaper, sound better, more fun, and who doesnt love the feeling when u crank the throttle back and hit the powerband :D

400ex18
02-15-2007, 03:12 PM
hey thanks guys for all the help.....but i think im going to put my 400 for sale and buy a 250r! i have rode a 4 stroke all my life, and its just getting really boring to ride! time to change it up a little!

northwest Texas
02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
I don't miss my 2 stroke at all and the power really isn't that more than the 400, just feels like it because of the way the power hits.

A 2 stroke is much more demanding and it feel like it is riding you and not the other way around. I don't have anything against 2 strokes but even if I were racing, the physical demands are more.

I only tell you this because yousaid you've never had one before and you might seriously reconsider selling yours before you at least find one to take a good long test spin on. You'll need to ride about an hour before you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Either way, good luck.

02-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by 400ex18
hey thanks guys for all the help.....but i think im going to put my 400 for sale and buy a 250r! i have rode a 4 stroke all my life, and its just getting really boring to ride! time to change it up a little!

Like NW Texas says -

2 strokes are VERY different.

I too would suggest a LONG test ride on a 250R - not just up and down the road in front of the sellers house - cuz teh power delivery is VERY different.

WHat's an easy hill climb on the 400EX becomes a tricky thing on a 250R. Momentum becomes VERY important on the 250R.

I'd also investigate building up your 400EX.

Honda has the poor thing WAY detuned, and you can get ALOT more out of this motor.

I still love that old 250R, but it is very different.

ATVnewbie
02-16-2007, 07:27 PM
While you think that the 4 Stroke is not as fast as a two stroke think again, the two stroke only pulls within the powerband, the 4 pulls all the way through. Unless you plan on getting a Quadzilla or Banshee, (which have a great powerplant but lousy suspension in stock form) you will be disapointed to find your EX was a better machine.
I also have a KTM 300 EXC that is a two stroke, but has the 4 stroke grunt too, so I too like the 2 strokes and I wish I had enough money to buy that motor and put in another EX chassis. LoL , John:D

yamahamx14
02-16-2007, 08:18 PM
If your going to race, stick with the ex definetly. The entire racing world is switching to four strokes, and IMO the 250R has no (or very little) potential in the racing world. A modded 400ex could go a long way in racing with the proper mods. Plus... do you really want to be dealing with a quad that is 20 years old???

pro-pain
02-18-2007, 12:40 AM
i think the 250r has more potential if you upgrade suspension and the engine. I am not sure about the weight but it seems a lot lighter than the 400, if you arent a big guy it will make a big difference and you will be a lot lighter on your feet.

the torque of the 400 is nice though

idk for racing i think a 250r with some upgrades should work beter

400ex18
02-19-2007, 08:02 PM
well i adapt to quads pretty easy, as long as it got 4 wheeles i can ride it!!!so im not worried about not being able to ride it! i have rode a 250r, 450s! 450s are ok but im not impressed with them much! i have rode a 250r and love it!!! so thats prolly what im going to get!!!