PDA

View Full Version : Stock 400EX

ctay61983
02-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Ok, I know you guys have probably been asked this atleast a thousand times. But, I have a 2003 400EX and it is pretty much all stock.

I am wanting to add some performace parts and make me a little faster.

My question is:

What should I start with? Exhaust, jet kit, air filter, etc??? I am willing to put some cash in the bike so I am not just going to do one thing and quit I just would like the best order to do it....

I know the basics but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ctay

02-15-2007, 10:01 AM
when modding a stock bike, the best order to do it in is...
1. protection-skids plates....250 thick swinger, andy thinckness chassis...a-arms not so important,
2. suspension...a better handling quad will make you you faster without doing any performance mods..
3. performance...exhuast, air filter, jetting, motor work(cam, 416/426/440)
4. looks-unless you are happy with everything else, then this can be bumped up

ctay61983
02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of suspension would you reccomend for a decent price..??? I know there have been many discussions on what kind of exhaust to use... How much of a difference is a full system compared to a slip-on??? And what would be best for total power gain...(not just low-end,mid, or top)

Thanks again,

Ctay

400exrider707
02-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
1. protection-skids plates....250 thick swinger, andy thinckness chassis...a-arms not so important,
2. suspension...a better handling quad will make you you faster without doing any performance mods..

Eh I dont agree fully cause it depends on the type of riding your doing... I ride MX and really dont worry about skid plates

I also like to be comfortable on the quad first... I know you might think suspension, but overall... yes that includes suspension, handlebars I think are very important to feeling comfortable, usually nerfs for protection and a kill switch to protect it if you fall off. Tires/wheels are a good upgrade as well. Pipe and filter would probably be next. Then you can tear into the motor, then once that is done looks.... or you can just do it all at once

02-15-2007, 10:56 AM
i agere that mx don't need skids, but 90% of people don't do strictly mx, and if they were totally serious about mx, we would be answering his question about a 450r.

when i said suspension i should have put it as ssuspension/handling, which includes bars if not comfortable with the stock set-up...

as far as suspension goes, the type of riding you do dictates that. if is is just trails and you don't plan on racing professionally...elka rec series shocks witha different real linkn and a revalve will work wonders for you, along witha stick type stabilizer...i feel the puck types arfe too expensive for non-racing situations.

for the exhuast...a full system is always better than aslip on, even thought the 400ex head pipe is pretty good, a better flowing one from a full system can benefit you.

i have only had experince wih my big gun full exhuast on my 400ex. i seemed to add all over, but with very little gains up top, most gains in the lower end. the mid did have some pick up, more than the top end, but less than the bottom.

my friend had a wb e-series on on his 400ex. he had it tuned to give him more bottom than top...

ctay61983
02-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Eh I dont agree fully cause it depends on the type of riding your doing... I ride MX and really dont worry about skid plates

I also like to be comfortable on the quad first... I know you might think suspension, but overall... yes that includes suspension, handlebars I think are very important to feeling comfortable, usually nerfs for protection and a kill switch to protect it if you fall off. Tires/wheels are a good upgrade as well. Pipe and filter would probably be next. Then you can tear into the motor, then once that is done looks.... or you can just do it all at once

I agree, I would rather feel comfortable on the bike first (which I do...that is why I haven't switched bikes yet). I really do a mixture of trail and Mx. What are the best set of handlebars you have come across??? Sorry for all the questions but what are some good websites to check out??? Thanks again for the help...

Ctay

02-15-2007, 11:28 AM

I would do performance in 2 phases.

Right after your #1, I would add exhaust, jetting, air filter.

Then of course your # 3 would only include true motor work.

02-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ctay61983
What are the best set of handlebars you have come across???

Ctay

I wnet with Trail Tech X-bars with a riser on the stock steering stem.

I love them.

ctay61983
02-15-2007, 11:46 AM
What about using a set of 450r shocks??? Would that be a reasonable upgrade???

02-15-2007, 11:51 AM
What about using a set of 450r shocks??? Would that be a reasonable upgrade???

See my mods.

Yes, I most DEFINITELY think its "reasonable."

:)

ctay61983
02-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Sorry about that...I am assuming they are a pretty good upgrade over the stock 400ex ones.... What all is involved in changing them for the 450r's....????

northwest Texas
02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I think I have a good compromise for what you describe you do.

When I bought my EX, I concentrated on the chassis first and left the engine stock (it already had a slip on).

I found some used +2 arms, a plus 4 axle and bought new Works G Series shocks. Great decision I thought. I found a used TCS rear shock for a price I couldn't say no to and that made a bigger difference than I thought it would. It wasn't until I had all these changes that my quad actually started to feel slow.

Given your situation, I would find a slip on, I don't think you really need a full exhaust just yet, a foam filter (because they're easier to clean than the K&N, forget the jet kit (you only need a few additional jets).

After that, I'd move to the chassis until it can handle more than the engine can generate.

Lots of guys do the stock 450R shocks up front but by the time they do that, I have brand new Works G Series fronts for less than $450. I may not have the adjustability but I haven't missed it.

I'm running Tag T2 handlebars but it's whatever you want. I like them much better than the stock bars. I would do them soon.

02-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Sorry about that...I am assuming they are a pretty good upgrade over the stock 400ex ones.... What all is involved in changing them for the 450r's....????

There's a thread at the top of this forum about mounting the 450R's. With a little grinding, they mount right up....BUT....

They will raise your front end ride height. They are about 5/8" longer than 400EX.

I bought mine for $200. Sent them to GT Thunder and for another $400 got them set up right. BIG difference.

Enuf that I had to send my rear to be set up right and get the XC link from GT THunder.

Total $1,000.

02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by garandman
There's a thread at the top of this forum about mounting the 450R's. With a little grinding, they mount right up....BUT....

They will raise your front end ride height. They are about 5/8" longer than 400EX.

I bought mine for $200. Sent them to GT Thunder and for another $400 got them set up right. BIG difference.

Enuf that I had to send my rear to be set up right and get the XC link from GT THunder.

Total $1,000.

i have the gt thunder link on my ex and elkas up front...total for all was about 750. the front shocks, although do not have the adjustability that the 450r shocks do, are already set for the bike, no modification needed.

plus you can get the desired ride height of around 8.5 inches...

i have no problems with 450r shocks on a 400ex...just stating the +'s of an alternative

02-15-2007, 01:08 PM
i have the gt thunder link on my ex and elkas up front...total for all was about 750. the front shocks, although do not have the adjustability that the 450r shocks do, are already set for the bike, no modification needed.

plus you can get the desired ride height of around 8.5 inches...

i have no problems with 450r shocks on a 400ex...just stating the +'s of an alternative

I'm still playing with the comp and reb adjustments, so we'll see if the extra cost is justified.

At that price (unless you got a real good deal) I 'm guessing your ELkas don't have remote res either.

I've been told rem res is important.

Anyway, I'm happy with completely new rebuilt revalved resprung shox with rem res and comp / reb for $1,000.

northwest Texas
02-15-2007, 01:20 PM
I've been told rem res is important. I think it depends upon your application. Years ago when I had my Quadracer and I bought new shocks the guy talked me into them. Convinced me at the time I could get more time on oil changes and the oil would stay cooler which would lead to better performance over time (a day's ride)

I never could tell a difference which he may have been right but I opted for the non res. on my current ones and I can't tell a bit of difference in them fading. I'msure that would be a different story if I was racing with them that I may see the difference, and with the res. comes more adjustments which helps the racers more than the casual rider.

Anyways, it's about time to probably do at least an oil change as it appears perhaps one of my seals is starting to weap a little bit.

I think most guys, me included, that trail ride would have overkill trying to mess with all the adjustments. Could I have a better ride, perhaps, but she's pretty good as she sits.

At least that's my understanding of it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

02-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas

I think most guys, me included, that trail ride would have overkill trying to mess with all the adjustments. Could I have a better ride, perhaps, but she's pretty good as she sits.

that is pretty much a good way to put it...the preload on my elka non res shocks have suited me well, the bike feels much better with them on, so good infact that i had my 2006 450r up for sale to go back to the ex. nobody wanted to give me near what it is worth so i am keeping it and having it's shocks revalved soon...

i should have done that first, but better deals on other things like a set of new hiper front wheels for 200 shipped kept getting in the way.

02-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas

I'm at the point to start testing reb and comp adjustments

I got this 200 yard long straightaway on my lil test track that's pretty rough.

Dial in an adjustment, test ride, dial in aother adjustment, test ride, see if I can learn anything.

northwest Texas
02-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, that should help you learn alright. But it's still alot to mess with. Do I need faster rebound and slower compression, faster rebound and faster compression, slower compression and xxx, etc

I thought long and hard about it but decided to keep the money. I don't mean to infer you wasted money, it's just that I don't feel the need for them, yet anyway. There wouldn't be those options if they weren't needed.

However, your demands are probably different than mine, obviously. :D