PDA

View Full Version : shee or R

eldoexrider01
09-30-2002, 11:52 AM
aite i got my reliable 4 stroke and now i want a dangerously fast and wicked 2 stroke. i am either deciding between a shee or a R it will mostly be used for open areas like gravel and sand riding areas. there will be no MX riding so keep that in mind. ive heard that shees are terribly fast (and also heavy) but i wont be jumpin it at all unless its some dunes. and ive heard a R is about as fast plus the parts are cheaper. i know there are some honda loyal fans out there but please i need some good hard facts. and if u hafta reply and are brand loyal jus say so so i will know.

thanks everyone. or if there are any other suggestions, but i dont see any more than a shee or R (that are easy to get parts for) and either one i will get a used one or build one

Castor-426ex
09-30-2002, 11:53 AM
well...honda lover here..so get a good R

but..i myself am looking for a banshee to trick out....i havent owned a 2 stroke in a long time...i miss em

bandit390
09-30-2002, 11:58 AM
I dont really see how people can justify buying a quad old as they are, and for the same price of a new one. So the shee....

Castor-426ex
09-30-2002, 12:00 PM
well sometimes people can find very good 250 R's...like 400ex127...his r was sweet....and i think he will tell you the same...If you find a good one...its a keeper...no matter how old it is...

eldoexrider01
09-30-2002, 12:05 PM
thanks guys keep em comin. i do have a 250R engine sittin in the local 4wheeler shop i work at for 750$ its all stock but on back of engine bolt holes the case is shaved off a lil but ima get chromeones. jus wanted to post that

JLanphear
09-30-2002, 12:06 PM
I think Shee's and R's are like Apples and Oranges.

But unlike most posts, you specified what you intend to use the quad for, and what you wanted from it.

Personally, I don't think you can beat a Banshee when it comes to all out speed...and from your description I think they Banshee would be a better choice.

Also, Banshee's are very reliable....In fact, from listening to some of the "R" owners talk I'd say they are more reliable than the R's.

The downfalls to the Banshee are that it has very little low end power. It likes to be reved all of the time and the powerband is like a lightswitch. It also spins like a mother. Very hard to get it to hook up. The front end is a bit heavy, but that has never caused a problem for me. I DO NOT MX race mine, and after riding/owning a 400ex I never would. The suspension on the Banshee is just outdated and doesn't handle the bumps like the EX does. However, it is more than enough for flying through a field or a pit wide open.

Just my thoughts.

-Josh

Castor-426ex
09-30-2002, 12:21 PM
lmao yeah those are pretty much all the reasons I Love the Banshee!!

09-30-2002, 03:25 PM
The Shee is a twin cylinder, so you have to buy two of everything. keep in mind dude...:rolleyes:

buckNbanshee
09-30-2002, 07:02 PM
yea u would have to buy 2 of everything but your better off to get the shee because u will spending so much money and time to keep the old 250R motors runnin my oppinion get the shee but that is just me.;)

josh
09-30-2002, 09:52 PM
If you live anywere near some sand dunes i say TOTALLY go for the shee, you have specified what you ride in, and both bikes would work, but in the sand GO WITH THE BANSHEE, you hit the powerband all day long with those things in the sand and they are still reliable, o and about the sluggish bottom end i hear that a boost bottle cleans that up so ya get better take off and all around, but the truth is, nothing even remotely touches the banshee's in the sand, except some of the new 650's and stuff, but they have to put serious mods on a 4stroke to come close. i have been to the sand dunes several times and whatched the shee's fly up comp hill with the front tires barely off the ground doin like 50-60mph + up that hill. ya you have to rev the bike alot, and you have to buy 2 of everything when you rebuild or mod, but think of this, compare a 2cyl to 1, it's like modding 2 1cyl's, you get alot more power per mod on a 2 cyl than a 1 cuz it is affecting 2 cylinders, and the things are high output 2 strokes witch really wake em up when you mod them. and plus, you will not find an availability of aftermarket parts for any other bike that comes close to the shee, go to www.wickedatv.com to see some of the stuff my uncle builds, you can hook the shee's up to run alcohol or you can stuff trinity 500 motors in them that put out like 92 hp, i could go on and on and on, becuz i am somewhat brand loyal to honda, but if you want to see the possibilities, just go to the sand dunes on a holiday weekend and see the tricked out shee's to see if anything comes remotely close to them, you really got to mod a 250r to make them come close to a shee with maybee pipes on them.

Bean
10-01-2002, 06:20 PM
also, dont forget the new 450's and such, a few in quad frames tear shee's and R's apart, remember a 426/450f makes 55ish HP STOCK, a shee needs pipes and such to get to that level, and then the 4strokes still run longer, so its opioin,

GET THE R

eldoexrider01
10-01-2002, 08:04 PM
u got a point man. ill look at that. but will it rip my arms off like a shee?

Bean
10-01-2002, 08:09 PM
an R will not hav that brutal pull of a modded shee, but it will pull like a pissed off straight guy runnin away froma gay guy

WyoDuner
10-02-2002, 09:24 AM
You will spend less money to buy a decent Banshee vs a decent 250R. The Banshee is EXTREMELY reliable and can EASILY be made to be very very fast. They do weigh more but then again their frame is strong and the Basnhee is longer & wider which makes for great sliding fun. You can build either machine to be very fast but you'll spend less money making the Banshee fast. Remember that the NEWEST 250R you're going to find is going to be 13 years old - that's a lot of miles.

Get the Banshe. I have one and have been around a LOT of 250Rs and know what the differences are. I wouldn't trade the Banshee for anything.

Oh, about the low-end power - that's really overblown. A well tuned Banshee can put around just fine in 1st or 2nd gear and when you hit the throttle it's outta there instantly.

josh
10-06-2002, 05:49 PM
and you could just throw a boost bottle on, that will clean up the bottom on any sluggish 2 stroke

cheetah
10-09-2002, 05:53 PM
I would say go with a shee, you have to rebuild r's more often too. There is nothing like that immediate hit of the powerband on a shee. For wide open areas and dunes, get the shee.

lil400exman
10-10-2002, 11:30 AM
now i am begining to outgrow my 400s tame power i am looking at a 2smoke something with a real punch i do trails slowesti go is 25 in th tight spots i ride fast and sometimes go long distances from the car how are piped shees feul mileage?i have questions and i think you all can help i dont do alot of jumping only like 13fthigh max! do you think a shee would be good?:) :confused:

beerock
10-10-2002, 11:49 AM
shee= wrong answer.

go wit da R

the reliability of both bikes depends on the maintenence.

and for woods and trails the r is better.
damn in any kind of riding the r is better...

IMHO

by the way im brand loyal.....:devil

Troy86250r
10-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Definately go with the 250r. The only place a banshee is better is in the dunes or in a drag race. And it doesnt take much to mod an r to go as fast as a shee.

WyoDuner
10-11-2002, 04:19 PM
People with Rs are going to say get the R and people with a Banshee will say get that.

The Banshee will always have more power given equal mods and the R will be the better handling machine.... Choose what's more important to you.

(Psst... Get the Banshee)

10-11-2002, 04:31 PM
I have very little time on either machine. Probably just a few minutes on each, but I can tell you one thing for sure. The "R" is a far better jumper.

phatswinn
10-12-2002, 09:26 AM
r, they look cooler and they screw

beerock
10-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by phatswinn
r, they look cooler and they screw

i didnt know my r could fu$k LOL:blah

realy though, im not biased....

ive ridden both of them countless times.....

the r is simply a better machine.....ergonomically, suspension wise, and motor wise....

if you say put the same mods on both the shee will be faster, you also have to take into consideration it cost more to mod a banshee(2 of everything)

so dolla for dollar you can get a r to be faster.

and here goes......

I know alot of r's that beat heavily moded banshee....

that r motor is just magical with the right port job....

josh
10-15-2002, 05:46 PM
well, it really depends on what you want, any 2 stroke is goin to suck alot more gas than your thumper, but the shee is a 2 cycl with bigger displacement, that means it would prob suck more gas than the r, but the banshee does have a 3.2 gal tank, your 400 is somethin like a 2.4 or 2.6 i think, but all around the r is better, the banshee will have a hella brutal pull and almost snap your neck if your relaxed and hit that powerband, i have seen the shee's in the dunes and nothin touches them, but the r on the track can't really be beaten, those r's are very very stable machines and do haul ***** around those trail corners, so it's up to you, the

250R= great susp, plenty of power give or take a few mods, a very respectible quad that will resale easy, prob won't loose any price value cuz they are old and demand for them is still high, and you might have to rebuild em more often, but 1 cyl is half the price and work as a 2 cyl

or

Banshee= awesome power with a tight high powerband, outdated susp that you shouldn't even bother racing with, also will resale good, but you will loose out more than on a R, won't handle half as good as the R on trails or jumps, actually don't even jump it if your toppin 13 ft, that might equal pain, pricey to rebuild or mod, your susp isn't that great for trails or jumps but hey, it HAULS *****

josh
10-15-2002, 05:53 PM
so it basically comes down to what everyone else is telling you, if you want neck snappin power once it nails the powerband, or do you want to actually have fun on your quad in the trails and jumps, if you care more about strickly power, go with the shee, but if you want plenty of power and lots of fun handling that is similar to your 400, go with the r

p.s.
the power and accell is goin to be way better than your thumper, but if your used to your 400's nice susp you will be VERY dissapointed with the handling on the banshee

buckNbanshee
10-16-2002, 07:49 PM
yes handling is not as good on the banshee than it is the 250R and the banshee is pretty awesome in the trails prolly as good as the R or better once you learn how to ride the shee u will be glad you got it,now if you are gonna race MX get the R but any thing else get the shee.but my opinion get the shee you wont regret it, it is super fast;)