PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Fuel Saver? Increase Power?

oregonrider89
09-30-2002, 11:40 AM
- I was channel surfing and came across a infomercial about a product that guaranteed an increase in fuel mileage and power. It said the Tornado Fuel Saver would give a 7-28% increase in fuel mileage, and 4-13 horsepower increase to automobiles, which made me wonder if a bike or atv would bennifit? Has anyone ever tried one in their 400? or know of anyone who has? The infomercial said it has a 30 day, any reason money back guarantee, but be sure to check befor you buy.

- I also wanted to add that I have no idea if this product works!!! I saw it and wondered myself.

- If you want to know how it works check the web site.

http://www.tornadofuelsaver.com

Thanks for your toughts.

oregonrider89

Pappy
09-30-2002, 11:43 AM
i have seen it also....and the concept is sound. the straightening a swirling of the airstream has long been used to increase performance in all motors. get the thing and if it works..let me know so i can order one....lol:D

Extremeracer167
09-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Many of the top manufacturers have been running air straighteners in the top MX bikes and so forth. It is basically just fins inside the carb to put a more direct flow of air, without having turbulance inside the carb. And just now u can start buying them from cetain companies. And it DOES make a big differance. Alot of the things that they sell for cars i wouldnt try them in my quad until someone came out and specifically developed it for quads. Just my opinion

DMC mx400ex
09-30-2002, 03:49 PM
ok guys, if u send me money, like 2 dollars each and i will call up the guys and maybe try it out for them,,, cmon lets all work together...:D

oregonrider89
09-30-2002, 05:32 PM
I've emailed the company but no responce yet. What companies are producing quad applications? What do you mean, without having turbulance inside the carb? When I hear back, I post their responce.

oregonrider89

Big - D Racing
09-30-2002, 07:24 PM
the thing is a piece of junk add hurts your engine more than benefits it. It actually slows you air intake down because it gets in the way of the air coming in. The more air your enging takes in the more power it will produce. It doesn't allow more air to come in, it just stirs up the air coming in and slows it down. think about if you put something ing the midlle of your intake boot it will slow the air down because it is obstructing the air path.

Leo
09-30-2002, 10:04 PM
if they could get a 10% gain in hp + economy just by installing one they would come from the factory like that..

have you looked at the intake of any of the new generation of vehicles? they spend some serious $$ creating tuned , active intakes.. and you wanna slap something in the way to disturb the airflow LOL..

maybe (and I stress MAYBE) on an old 4bbl, (which I seriously doubt) it might help.. on a modern production motor, NO WAY..

pure BS

Leo

250xman
09-30-2002, 10:20 PM
my freind has one in his 97 chevy 454 dually and the thing has a big notic in power when he has it in. he also got 3 miles more per gallon of fuel. he owns a trucking bisness and he has them in all his trucks.

2K1 300EX
09-30-2002, 11:23 PM
A friend of mine has one in his Toyota 4x4 and there is a difference.

oregonrider89
09-30-2002, 11:28 PM
I have no idea if this thing does work. But I am wondering, who told you, or how did you find out it was such a bad thing? The company that makes them wouldn't still be in business if they were bad for an engine. Not only that the thing has a money back guarantee, if they all sucked, they'd all be returned.

oregonrider89

Big - D Racing
09-30-2002, 11:43 PM
I went to a truck racing website (forum) and asked the same question, just about every single person, told me they hurt you more than they benefit you. And if you think about it does make sense. They don't draw more air in, they are just suppose to make it swirl, and by doing that it obstructs the air flow. I have never tested it, this is just what a big racing forum with more members than this one told me.

BigThumper33
10-01-2002, 12:18 AM
I do not know whether for fact it works or not, but I wouldn't count it out. A company does not make money if the product is a flop and I have seen that infomericial several times in almost a years time. Leo, I'm sorry but they don't spend dick making intakes on new generation vehicles. Just something that is reliable, otherwise why would there be aftermarket intakes? A supercharger and turbo are both things that "block" a intake but look at the power they produce. There are ways of manipulating air to do what you want, thus the turbo/supercharger comes along. Also next time you have your carb boot off take a look at the hole where the air enters the carb. You will notice that it narrows as it goes in. This is called a venturi(spelling) it SPEEDS up the air as it enters the carb for a better air/fuel mixture. But wait, doesnt that make the hole even smaller? So then I guess from the stand point you guys are at then all carbs with venturi's are crap? Hmmm that makes just about all of them huh?

MeatHead
10-01-2002, 06:06 AM
WHAT!!!
You can't be serious about putting this thing in the same category as a turbo or supercharger, just because they "block" airflow?!?!?!?!?!? But as I read the rest of your post, I realize you were making a point. And saying something very similar to what I was going to say.

I believe the theory behind this thing is that it causes the air to swirl, which mixes the fuel/air better, causing better combustion, therefor more power and better economy.
But since my 300 has such a bad drinking problem, 2 tanks to my dad's 1 tank and he has a 400, maybe I could use something that would increase my fuel economy. But I have to agree with Leo, if it increased the FUEL ECONOMY that much, the manufacturers would put them on already. The manufacturers could careless about the power, as long as it is enough to do its job and reliable. But they are very concerned about getting better fuel economy.

BigThumper33
10-01-2002, 12:35 PM
I am not putting it in the same category as a charger or turbo, just using an example. Both turbos and chargers give better gas mileage so why dont all manufactorers run them? I feel it might help on a large displacement vehicle. But on our single cylinder machines performance will probably not be noticed.

oregonrider89
10-01-2002, 01:33 PM
What made you come to the conclusion a large engines, but not with the single cylinder? Just wondering.

oregonrider89

BigThumper33
10-01-2002, 06:59 PM
small hop ups are more noticable on large displacement motors. A k&n filter on a v-8 can give up to a 20hp gain. On an atv, your lucky to get 1 or 2. Same goes with high compression pistons, you will notice more power in a motor with more pistons, I bearly noticed any difference when I went to a wiseco 11:1 with a xr400 head gasket. All hop ups give the same amount of gains per engine it is just that on larger motors the gains are multiplied by the amount of displacment. Notice how you can get 20 hp out of a filter on a car but only 1 on a atv, but if you did the math on the displacement sizes the results would be close.

Lorduss
10-03-2002, 10:34 PM
yeah, it does make more HP on bigger motors, but if you figer it this way, in a % increase its more equel, letalone, increase is a increase.

but i do question this product.

How can it give you more MPG yet more HP ? or does it take away from torq giving more hp ?

if theres anything that stands true, more fule means more power.
and Obstructing airflow does decrease power.

i cant say this wont do any thing, i just dont think its some thing i want. untill im more sure of its capabilitys and real effects on a engines preformance and such.

EricB
10-04-2002, 04:44 AM
i read an article somewhere on these things. they simulated a 4bbl carb with this thing on it. all it does it makes the air "rough" it doesn't cause a tornado effect, it simply makes it swirly arround everywhere. if you think about aerodynamics you would realize that something that is essentialy bouncing arround travels slower. ussaly the air is sucked in a somewhat straight manner. with this thing applyed to your intake the air is just being forced to travel in differn't paths with more resistance. it's totaly nonsense. to prove the theory about "it must work, they're still in business" wrong, just look at all the infomercials on late night TV. most of that stuff is junk, but people still buy it.

an who ever said that a K&N gives a V8 20 horse power....i'd like to see the dyno.

Leo
10-04-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
Leo, I'm sorry but they don't spend dick making intakes on new generation vehicles. Just something that is reliable, otherwise why would there be aftermarket intakes? A supercharger and turbo are both things that "block" a intake but look at the power they produce. There are ways of manipulating air to do what you want, thus the turbo/supercharger comes along. Also next time you have your carb boot off take a look at the hole where the air enters the carb. You will notice that it narrows as it goes in. This is called a venturi(spelling) it SPEEDS up the air as it enters the carb for a better air/fuel mixture. But wait, doesnt that make the hole even smaller? So then I guess from the stand point you guys are at then all carbs with venturi's are crap? Hmmm that makes just about all of them huh?

"they don't spend dick making intakes on the current generation of vehicles?"

LOL.. have you seen a current generation motor? most have 'active' intakes.. IE they have long tapered runners for low RPMS (some new mopars runners are in excess of 34 inches) and short fat tuned runners for high rpms, and an electronically controlled valve that switches between them depending on load / rpm..

Turbo's + superchargers work because they compress the air more air=more power.. NOT because they restrict the flow.. Take the belt off a blower and see how good it works then LOL..

Go spend your $$ on a "tornado fuel saver".. Nothing out of my pocket.

Leo

Leo
10-04-2002, 05:33 AM
forgot to mention.. I put a K&N on my V8 truck, didn't make a fart's worth of difference.. Not only that but it didn't make any changes in the amount of fuel delvery NONE of the adaptive memeory values changed, even 1%.. To make more power she'd have to be getting more air + fuel.. no change in the adaptive memory factors = no more fuel..

k&N's benefits from an excellent advertising campaign, and people who take the ads at face value.

Leo

Guy400
10-04-2002, 06:04 AM
This device has been covered before in this forum.http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18939&perpage=15&highlight=port%20wall&pagenumber=1

Go to page 3 and read my comments on the Tornado.

Pro400EXC
10-04-2002, 02:38 PM
Guy,just tell em straight up...the thing is BS, a POS,no good, a hunk of Junk,waste of Money..thats all....:rolleyes:

yamaha1470
10-04-2002, 04:48 PM
its on an infomercial......how good could it be

Null95
10-04-2002, 09:02 PM
i wouldnt buy one but i might try to make one

phatswinn
10-05-2002, 12:21 PM
well just think about it, if ya put it throught that tornado crap its just going to streghten up aftr it goes through it, it might save gas money because of the drop in air delivery on these electricly tuned engines, thats all i can think of its BS just because its on a infomercial, nothing on those comercials work

oregonrider89
10-07-2002, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all you comments. I don't plan on trying it out.

Extremeracer167
10-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by yamaha1470
its on an infomercial......how good could it be

Hey the Goerge Forman Grill was once on an Infomercial, and that is prob. one of the best products ever introduced in the good ole U S of A

300EX
10-07-2002, 11:40 AM
The more power you have the better gas milage you will get because the motor doesn't have to work as hard to go. Also, this thing was made for "AUTOMOBILES" not for quads. Cars suck in alot more air then quads do. I wouldn't wast the money on it.

DarkStarRacing
10-07-2002, 12:49 PM
I do not know whether for fact it works or not, but I wouldn't count it out. A company does not make money if the product is a flop and I have seen that infomericial several times in almost a years time.

bro you just said "infomericial" have you ever heard of anything working thats been on an infomericial..lol, i had bought things in the past and they have all sucked, don't buy into there scam theres no way this thing could work imo...good luck though

BigThumper33
10-07-2002, 01:35 PM
you guys all break out with restriction this restriction that. Take your carb off and look at the air pathway. IT GETS SMALLER, thats called a VENTURI, it speeds up the air for a better fuel/air mixture. Take some powers technologies classes and get back to me.

Guy400
10-07-2002, 04:55 PM
you guys all break out with restriction this restriction that. Take your carb off and look at the air pathway. IT GETS SMALLER, thats called a VENTURI, it speeds up the air for a better fuel/air mixture. Take some powers technologies classes and get back to me. What does that have to do with a stationary blade being more of a restriction than a benefit? Just because the carb barrel is tapered doesn't mean that this worthless Tornado product works.