PDA

View Full Version : am i hurting my motor

EXSailor
02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
just wondering if i'm helping or hurting my motor running 50/50 108 leaded race gas/premium unleaded 93 octane with my mods listed below. I'm running a JE 87mm BORE, Stock STROKE, 10.8:1 piston

Pipeless416
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by EXSailor
just wondering if i'm helping or hurting my motor running 50/50 108 leaded race gas/premium unleaded 93 octane with my mods listed below. I'm running a JE 87mm BORE, Stock STROKE, 10.8:1 piston

nope, you're fine. you can safely go up to 11.1:1 on premium pump gas. i think with thinner xr gaskets you would be there..

EXSailor
02-14-2007, 12:46 PM
so running the mixed gas as long as its jetted right is OK?

Pipeless416
02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
so running the mixed gas as long as its jetted right is OK?

im pretty sure.. somebody else who is positive is bound to reply sometime... :cool:

clutch25
02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
As long as your not getting any detonation your fine.

You are wasting money on the race gas though...if you can run straight pump gas without deto....just use that.

EXSailor
02-14-2007, 01:52 PM
what do you mean by detonation?

NacsMXer
02-14-2007, 05:46 PM
what do you mean by detonation?

The octane rating on fuels is simply a representation of a fuel's resistance to detonation. The higher the octane, the less likely it is to detonate.

Detonation happens when the internal cylinder temperature gets so hot that the fuel actually ignites BEFORE the spark plug fires while the piston is still in its upward travel of the compression stroke. So basically your piston is naturally trying to move up like it normally does, but the fuel ignition is mistimed so that the explosion in the combustion chamber is trying to push the piston down at the very same time the crankshaft is pushing it up. This puts tremendous strains on the piston, rod, crank, and everything holding it together. You get enough detonation in a motor and it will be literally ripped to pieces.

This is why it is so important to run high octane fuel if you are running high compression.... Higher compression equals more internal cylinder heat which increases your chances of detonation. High octane fuel counteracts this so that your engine runs as it should :D

Like said above, if you are NOT running high compression (12:1 or above) you do NOT need high octane fuel...you will do just fine with premium pump gas.

EXSailor
02-14-2007, 07:09 PM
got it, thanks alot for the help, much appreciated