PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do

fastyz85
02-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Hey guys I'm having a real problem trying to figure out what I want to do the rest of my life. I was thinking of owning my own parts buisness like C&D or Kb motorsports but how hard would that be and do they make good money. I was also thinking of being a mechanic, but a trained one and go to MMI or some institute like that. I just don't know what to do and any opinions on either would be great, especially from the guys in the line of buisness.thanks

mike

CRich[814]
02-14-2007, 10:14 AM
im in the same exact boat as you. if i dont figure something out, im screwed.

fastyz85
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
lol, im not screwed its just im in high school and want to figure out what I want to do at a young age, so I can prepare sooner and take the right classes.im already going to be taking metal tech

nowukno
02-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Me & my friend have always wanted to open a quad service/parts/accessoires shop. I have been saving for a long time & so has he. Hopefully with the savings + a loan we can do it one day. That would be my dream to own/run a place like that.

fastyz85
02-14-2007, 10:32 AM
thats why I am asking because my friend and I both love working on quads, and the parts for it. Since there is like no respectable shops around here we thought we would open one someday and call it K&R motorsports.

krt400ex
02-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by fastyz85
lol, im not screwed its just im in high school and want to figure out what I want to do at a young age, so I can prepare sooner and take the right classes.im already going to be taking metal tech

i started a lawnmaintenance business when i was 12, now i got a commercial mower, backpack blower, and new weedwacker. i got 14 jobs making about $400 a week for 12 hrs of work. that equates to something like $36-$38 per hr. if you do it right, and build a client base you can make alot of money fast.

BTW, im only 16 as of now, and making more $$$ per hr than my dad.

i would go that route

i dont have any pics of my mower, but ill put one or 2 up tomorrow or something.

Honda#4
02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm in the same boat as everyone too, I would like to open up a performance parts store but it takes more than one person to do that so that's out, the other idea I had was to build tricked out quads and then sell them but I don't know if that would work or not so i'm pretty much screwed, guess I should have paid better attention in school.

02-14-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm 40 yrs old, and contemplating a career change. Its cool....whatever you choose you don't have to stick with the rest of your life.

Some advice from an old fart....

Get some career / aptitude counselling.

They offer some tests that show the things you tend to be naturally really good at - those things you are "gifted" to do, not just the things you think are fun.

Figure out what you are gifted at, and then find a way to make money doing them.

You'll derive personal satisfaction from spending your time doing things you are naturally gifted at, and then even a 12 hour work day will be fun.

Simple fact is this -

NO amount of money is enuf to spend all day doing a job you hate.

Find your talent, then find a way to make money at it.

NPelletier
02-14-2007, 11:52 AM
ive known what ive wanted to do since i was like 5, my dad owned a garage(car) basicly all my begining years until i was maybe 6 or 7, and in kinder-garden i used to gto his shop evry day after school, so naturally i want to be a mechanic, bt recently i decided i want to goto Nascar Technical Institute and be a nascar mechanic for DEI or MWR or something....i hope i get in, if not, its UTI for me and ill be a normal mechanic:D

400exrider707
02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i started a lawnmaintenance business when i was 12, now i got a commercial mower, backpack blower, and new weedwacker. i got 14 jobs making about $400 a week for 12 hrs of work. that equates to something like $36-$38 per hr. if you do it right, and build a client base you can make alot of money fast.

BTW, im only 16 as of now, and making more $$$ per hr than my dad.

i would go that route

i dont have any pics of my mower, but ill put one or 2 up tomorrow or something.

I worked for a married couple who owns their own landscaping company. If you want to call it that. They mostly did garden maintenance... meaning they weeded gardens, and did a few other similar things like trimming small trees and such. It was just the two of them. They charged $120 an hour for this service. They would do anywhere from 2-5 houses a day, five days a week. Most of it for me was sitting in the truck driving to the next house, they take lunch when they want, and then they only work something like half of the year. Pretty nice if you ask me. The guy worked at home depot two nights a week and that took care of insurance for them.

02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by NPelletier
ive known what ive wanted to do since i was like 5, my dad owned a garage(car) basicly all my begining years until i was maybe 6 or 7, and in kinder-garden i used to gto his shop evry day after school, so naturally i want to be a mechanic, bt recently i decided i want to goto Nascar Technical Institute and be a nascar mechanic for DEI or MWR or something....i hope i get in, if not, its UTI for me and ill be a normal mechanic:D

Dream big, live big.

I say go for it.

Good luck.

fastyz85
02-14-2007, 12:08 PM
howis it that you need more than one person to open up a parts/service shop.

Honda#4
02-14-2007, 12:17 PM
It can be done with one person but it's always nice to have more than one person helping you RIGHT takes some of the stress away, plus you can always blame the helper for all of the mistakes.

fastyz85
02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
lol yea.

FourFiftyFour
02-14-2007, 02:33 PM
I was 21 when I finally decided what I wanted to major in in college... Those aptitude tests did not help me out at all. I ended up figuring out what I wanted to do when I got a job at an ACE hardware.. I found out that I was very interested in helping pick out stuff for peoples houses and give color consultations... I then found out I would be a helluva Interior Designer... I now am majoring in that and it is a really hard program..Interior Design is a mix of architecture, science, art, and experience. Its not just picking out pretty things...anyways, sometimes having different jobs will help you figure out what you are meant to do with the rest of your life... it helped me and everyone considered me a "lost cause." Hardly any of my friends or family could think of something I would be good at going for a professional job.

400exrider707
02-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by FourFiftyFour
anyways, sometimes having different jobs will help you figure out what you are meant to do with the rest of your life... it helped me and everyone considered me a "lost cause." Hardly any of my friends or family could think of something I would be good at going for a professional job.

Exactly, even having a bunch of different jobs can tell you what you DONT want to do as well. Get a lot of different jobs, and also take a broad range of classes your first year in college, you should be able to see what you like almost immediately though.

Which 450?
02-14-2007, 02:41 PM
do something you are good at, most mechanics have been working on stuff their whole lives, guys that go "hey, i wanna be a mechanic now!" out of no where never last.

02-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Those aptitude tests did not help me out at all. I ended up figuring out what I wanted to do when I got a job at an ACE hardware.. I found out that I was very interested in helping pick out stuff for peoples houses and give color consultations... I then found out I would be a helluva Interior Designer... .

Interior design IS something that aptitude tests can discover an aptitude for.

Your testers just did not use the test, or interpret the results correctly.

Doesn't mean the testing doesn't work.

king219
02-14-2007, 02:52 PM
whatever you do if you dont like it ,then its not worth it

FourFiftyFour
02-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by garandman
Interior design IS something that aptitude tests can discover an aptitude for.

Your testers just did not use the test, or interpret the results correctly.

Doesn't mean the testing doesn't work.

the tests said i would be a good engineer..... even though I can barely pass high school algebra...i say the tests didnt work for me at all lol

02-14-2007, 06:29 PM
the tests said i would be a good engineer..... even though I can barely pass high school algebra...i say the tests didnt work for me at all lol

The tests aren't intended to guarantee success.

Actually, (as I work at an engineering firm) I'd say the test did pretty good. There are some strong parallels between interior design and engineering, which is design oriented.

If the test said "math major" then I might doubt its veracity.

I'd say the people who gave you the test failed to give you the human guidance the tests require to be successful.

02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
dont worry, most people in college dont even know what they want to do

Honda#4
02-14-2007, 06:45 PM
I guess the only thing i'm gonna keep on doing is work on my quad untill I die. It's the only thing that keeps me motivated, I like doing it, and I learn something new everyday.

I could'nt do that with farming I know that, all I do is go up and down in a field all day for 9-14 hours.

02-14-2007, 06:58 PM
what would you do with 10 million dollars?

Whatever your answer was, they say that is what you should do