PDA

View Full Version : what's better trx450r or yfz450

darkstarboy360
02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
i just sold my yamaha blaster and looking to get a bigger quad,and was wondering what i should get......either a trx450r or yfz450?

250r4life
02-14-2007, 10:12 AM
LTR all the way... :huh :huh :huh

Les Davis
02-14-2007, 10:20 AM
go test ride both because they have good and bad about them. I think more importantly, it's what bike your going to feel more comfortable on because you can't go wrong with either bike. If you ask 50 people, you will probably get 50 different answers on why to go with either one but at the end of the day your the one riding it. Good luck!

400exrider99
02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Les Davis
go test ride both because they have good and bad about them. I think more importantly, it's what bike your going to feel more comfortable on because you can't go wrong with either bike. If you ask 50 people, you will probably get 50 different answers on why to go with either one but at the end of the day your the one riding it. Good luck!

well said:)

sandmanblue
02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
They are different - but one isn't better than the other. The fit differently, they steer differently, they have different stock suspensions, the motors have different power characteristics...

They are both competitive 450 racers (when in race form - not stock).

And ALL of the 450's out there are going to require you to maintain them more than other motors, simply because they are in a higher state of tune.

Pick your favorite color and if you feel comfortable with the price and fit - there ya go.

250r4life
02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
sandman... im pretty dissapointed you were not at glamis that weekend that i went... i would have liked to have raced you...

i know your bike is faster, but i think you said you were 250 lbs so with that handicapt i think we could have somewhat of a good race...

im not saying i would smoke you or even win, but i sure would have liked to see...

you never go to gordons well?

TWILES
02-15-2007, 03:00 PM
You can get more power out of the Yamaha motor for less money compared to the Honda. The Honda has less to replace in the head if you trash it. Aside from that, its the one you like the best. I think the Yamaha is more comfortable. I'm 6'1".

nicker71
02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
easy question yfz!!!!

04450rrider
02-16-2007, 07:59 AM
I would have to say Honda 450r. I just think the Hondas are more reliable and that is mainly what i care about.

Bill Fuller
02-16-2007, 08:01 AM
YFZ :muscle:

300excrazy98
02-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Go with the honda, they are easier to maintain. If you have to take the plasctics off on the Honda, it takes all about 3 seconds, he YFZ is a different story. They both require a lot of attention and maintence.
The honda is supposed to have a better stock suspension, but who cares both their suspensions stock suck. For taller people i think the YFZ is more comforable, its a little lower to the ground, and Honda is a little more tippy. If you wanted to take one go faster and spend the least amount of money, i would get the yfz, get an exhaust, cam mod, intake/filter.

But its all up to you... Ride Red!

Over both i would suggest the LTR450

nicker71
02-16-2007, 08:40 AM
300ex

02-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by nicker71
300ex

nah a recon

oldskoolex400
02-16-2007, 08:38 PM
yea, you cant go wrong with a recon

TWILES
02-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by 300excrazy98
Go with the honda, they are easier to maintain. If you have to take the plasctics off on the Honda, it takes all about 3 seconds, he YFZ is a different story. They both require a lot of attention and maintence.
The honda is supposed to have a better stock suspension, but who cares both their suspensions stock suck. For taller people i think the YFZ is more comforable, its a little lower to the ground, and Honda is a little more tippy. If you wanted to take one go faster and spend the least amount of money, i would get the yfz, get an exhaust, cam mod, intake/filter.

The Honda's aren'r as realiable when you get them to make the power the Yamaha makes with minor upgrades.

ProjectLTR450
05-02-2007, 06:02 PM
i own both the yfz and the ltr. i think the ltr is way better

pro-rider46
05-03-2007, 11:48 AM
i personally think the honda is a better built bike but not because i have one i mean my friend has a yfz and it seems to be a little rough feeling and vibrates bad but the honda i think is a little bigger feeling to the yfz for the larger rider and smoother feeling, but thats just my opinion and i know someone is going to flip out on me but i dont care
the bikes are both great bikes and whatever you choose good luck

jubileeatv
05-07-2007, 05:23 PM
the honda has a little more cc and a larger carb but it follows the yfz, yamaha's yfz450 is set up the best, and aftermarket stuff you can make it into a rocketship!

05yfz450(439ccactual)

i phuckn fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:

culichi
05-09-2007, 03:32 PM
THE LTR ALL THE WAY not just cause i own one but because it delivers incredible and you just need to do some pc work and hold on to the bars and you are now flying!!!

besides the yfz vibrates alot, i just did 3 laps one a frinds yfz and i had the worse arm pump, besides the ergonomics on the yfz are really bad

the trx is a great quad but you need to get some big mods to really get the engine going the way its suposed to deliver

06YFZ450SE
05-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by jubileeatv
the honda has a little more cc and a larger carb but it follows the yfz, yamaha's yfz450 is set up the best, and aftermarket stuff you can make it into a rocketship!

05yfz450(439ccactual)

i phuckn fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:

The 04-05 YFZ has 439cc
The 06-07 YFZ has 449cc

I have a 06 YFZ with just bolt ones and it flys.Mods are in sig. I think Iam ready to do a higher compression piston.

x rider1291
05-12-2007, 12:02 PM
get a 250r:D ...nah im playin even though i love them...but seriously i think all the new 450's are very nice quads they all have there ups and downs...i cant wait to see the new ktm, can-am, and polaris 450's

06YFZ450SE
05-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by x rider1291
get a 250r:D ...nah im playin even though i love them...but seriously i think all the new 450's are very nice quads they all have there ups and downs...i cant wait to see the new ktm, can-am, and polaris 450's

I would like to see them but iam gonna stay with my YFZ450 Yamaha 4 life.

maddmatt02
05-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
The Honda's aren'r as realiable when you get them to make the power the Yamaha makes with minor upgrades.

stock for stock the TRX put more to the ground than the yamaha already. I think it was a comparison between the 06's. I think i remember it being the honda layed down 35 and yamaha put down 33.

pro-rider46
05-13-2007, 09:05 AM
i am happy with my honda. i ride red even though it is blue.

oldskoolex400
05-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
stock for stock the TRX put more to the ground than the yamaha already. I think it was a comparison between the 06's. I think i remember it being the honda layed down 35 and yamaha put down 33.

he said minor mods, not stock, where did you read this at? theres a few "free" mods u can do to the yami where the honda will cost you a couple hundred bucks to get it there.

06YFZ450SE
05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
he said minor mods, not stock, where did you read this at? theres a few "free" mods u can do to the yami where the honda will cost you a couple hundred bucks to get it there.

He must of read this in a dirt wheels Mag. I think I seen this to. but I now the 06 YFZ has 38-40 HP stock I was told.

maddmatt02
05-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 06YFZ450SE
He must of read this in a dirt wheels Mag. I think I seen this to. but I now the 06 YFZ has 38-40 HP stock I was told.

you "know" the 06 has 38-40 you "were told"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oldskoolex400 he said minor mods, not stock, where did you read this at? theres a few "free" mods u can do to the yami where the honda will cost you a couple hundred bucks to get it there.

I read it as putting the minor mods to make the trx have as much power as the YFZ it became unreliable, my bad, now that I read it again it sounds like he means mod for mod/HP for HP the yamaha is more reliable in the end.

TWILES
05-14-2007, 09:02 AM
To clarify what I trying to get at, I've been wanting to get back into racing the local MX races since I sold my Banshee in 04 to "up-grade" to a 4-stroke and was sick. We bought the 04 450R and to get that motor to something similar to a 2-stroke you change the ignition(700), piston(200), carb(800 thought Baldwin), HRC kit(300ish), and thats just the motor. The stock Honda shocks are horible and the rear link will get you killed. The Yamaha would smoke the 04/05 until you spent a ton of money. I have a 2005 WR450 and that motor is almost identical to the 07 YFZ. I think the only real differences are the exhaust cam and piston. I'm thinking that the CDI's are the same. I know uncorking the WR got nearly 10hp out of it. You can't uncork the Honda without spending way too much money and you still don't have much when you get done. The newer Hondas are different than the older one's and if I had the money to send on the HRC kit and a nice pipe right off the bat, I wouldn't be scared to buy one but you can hop the Yamaha up a little at a time where the Honda is all at once. I vote Yamaha or wait for the CanAm. I'd stay away from the Kawasaki. I've heard the Suzuki's are great if you have the money to get the motor up to par.

maddmatt02
05-14-2007, 07:17 PM
I wasnt talking about the 04/05's, i was talking about the new design. much faster than the first gen's

oldskoolex400
05-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
I wasnt talking about the 04/05's, i was talking about the new design. much faster than the first gen's

well i sure as hell dont have any problems beating/running equal w/ an 06/07 yfz,450r,ltr 450 anything. even mod for mod. i like the snappy feel of the 04/05 yfz, reminds me more of a 2 stroke.................. ive ridden a few 06 yfzs and the power just comes on smoother.

maddmatt02
05-14-2007, 09:06 PM
I love riding her 04 yfz, its got a drd/K&N. its really quick, except that thumb throttle kills, I just put in an aftermarket softer spring though and now its easiest throttle out of all 4 quads. thing winds up so fast. i still dont think any of them are slow anyways so I want what I think looks best. im going towards honda(white) or kawi(green) I think the honda is the nicest but reverse and EFI sound nice to have.

TWILES
05-15-2007, 09:49 AM
well i sure as hell dont have any problems beating/running equal w/ an 06/07 yfz,450r,ltr 450 anything. even mod for mod. i like the snappy feel of the 04/05 yfz, reminds me more of a 2 stroke.................. ive ridden a few 06 yfzs and the power just comes on smoother.

The crank on the 450cc YFZs is out of the WR. It gives it a longer stroke making up the 10cc's. Thats why they feel smoother.

250r4life
05-15-2007, 10:43 AM

the 06s are quite a bit faster than previous years...

oldskoolex400
05-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
the 06s are quite a bit faster than previous years...

like i said, had no problem running even beating equally modded 06/07's. maybe its rider, i dunno

katch26
05-15-2007, 02:26 PM
whoever said the yamaha is better for taller people is crazy!
I dont own either but have ridden both a fair share

yfz-------just my opinion
pros- motor felt much quicker, seemed to handle better (lower center of gravity)
cons - thumb hurt, hips went numb

450r -
pros - engine felt smoother, better ergos for larger riders
cons - engine lacked "bite", did feel tippy

this is based on the older models, engine impressions may change but the feel of the bike should be about the same.

woodsracer144
05-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by 300excrazy98

imo i thikn that plastic take the same amount of time.. they both have a bunch of bolts that hold them on un like the 400ex, 250r 250 300ex 200x.ect. i've nevery rode a yzf but i really wanna try one out. alot of my friend are pro honda and **** but when you think about it. its what you like the most and if our gonna hvae it modded out it wont matter becaseu you can get alot of things some what the same like bearing carriers you have a honda setup already stock unlike the blaster and banshee. thats the biggest thing they cry about... i would wait a while and see what that ds is like. and test all of them honda yamaha suzuki, kiwi, and can am...

maddmatt02
05-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I never rode a 450r yet, still want one just cuz I know they are good and am a die hard honda man, but I gotta admit the more I ride my girls 04 yfz, the more I fall ion love with the way the power comes on in that thing and the way it winds up right now when you nail it.

RidetheRed
05-26-2007, 10:41 PM
One of my friends has got a YFZ450 special edition, and another has an 06 TRX450. Ive rode them both becasue I am looking for a new quad myself. Personally, I Felt a lot more comfortable on the YZF and Had more fun riding it . After sitting on all the major brands and riding a few different 450's , I Feel that the YZF is a lot comfortable for me (5-10, 155). Just sitting on them , the YZF had the best ergonomics for me. and powerwise I enjoyed the YZF more than the TRX 450. I love my 250r, but I am going to have to get a 4stroke to be able to race, and from all the reading, reviewing, and seat time ive spent on the 4 wheelers, I am leaning heavily towards hetting a brand new YZF, but Im goin to wait a little bit longer to see what changes come out with the new 08 model. Just my .02 but I like the Yamaha out of any of the other 450s.