PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend crashed, need help on which nerf bars to get, etc.

RockstarSMP
02-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Long story short, my girlfriend's right foot came off the peg last Saturday, she ran it over... and when she grabbed for something to keep her up, guess what the only thing reachable [already in her hand] was? Yup, the throttle. =(

Luckily, she only got some road rash and a 7-stitch laceration. Thank God for no broken bones. She doesn't seem to have any torn ligaments, but is pretty sore still, so only time will tell on that one.

She's new to riding and since I've always rode 2wheelers, I don't know much about quads, other than the obvious. I need help on what to get to make it safer. I was looking at Quad magazine the other day and saw an ad for nerf bars. Ok, they're a given to keep her feet from dabbing, but I also saw something about heel guards. I'm not exactly sure what they do, but I'm assuming they keep her lower legs from getting behind the nerf bars and getting sucked under the tire. If I'm correct on that, are the heelguards and nerf bars universal (in case I find 2 different brands on Ebay)?

The quad is an '87 Yamaha Warrior 350. I know it's not the smallest quad, but it'll do for her to learn on. Any help on how to make it safer is greatly appreciated.

RockstarSMP
02-14-2007, 08:58 AM
By the way, please don't reply to get a new (lighter) quad. I know it'd be better for her to learn on something lighter, etc., but this is what we have to deal with... Limited budget, I needed a cheap one for the pits when I race. The Warrior seemed to be a good compromise between utility and sport (for her to learn on).

While I'm at it, what kind of tire pressure is good? And is it better to have it higher/lower [than average] for beginners? We'll probably hit the dunes every once in a while, but the terrain we'll be riding on mainly is hardpack desert w/ rocks (I usually run my bikes around 14-15psi to avoid pinch flats on rocks, if that matters).

fastyz85
02-14-2007, 08:59 AM
yes you are right they do keep your foot from going under the wheel but the universal part you would have to check with the manufacturer of the nerfs to see if the other company might fit or vice versa

400exrider707
02-15-2007, 01:12 PM
You will not find any universal nerfs/heelguard combos, but there are a lot of options. Warriors came stock with plastic heel guards, but Im gonna say they're not on if your asking about aftermarket ones. It really depends what you want to spend. Nerfs with heel guards can very expenive very fast. A cheap set of nerfs without heel guards will set you back around $150. A cheap set of just heel gaurds is about $100. A combo with the heel guards built in your looking at $250 on the cheap side. They are well worth it though.

Also 14-15psi in an atv tire is rediculously high and almost unsafe. Check the sides of the tires, they should give you a safe operation pressure. Try 5 in fronts and backs.

m.h.s.c.#527
02-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You will not find any universal nerfs/heelguard combos, but there are a lot of options. Warriors came stock with plastic heel guards, but Im gonna say they're not on if your asking about aftermarket ones. It really depends what you want to spend. Nerfs with heel guards can very expenive very fast. A cheap set of nerfs without heel guards will set you back around $150. A cheap set of just heel gaurds is about $100. A combo with the heel guards built in your looking at $250 on the cheap side. They are well worth it though.

Also 14-15psi in an atv tire is rediculously high and almost unsafe. Check the sides of the tires, they should give you a safe operation pressure. Try 5 in fronts and backs.

no they didnt only the newer ones 87 through somthing like 97 has the peg only only has the the peg

Trevor
02-16-2007, 07:57 AM
I run stock 400 ex heel guard on my 300ex. Only had to do a little moding to get them to fit but worth it.

woodsracer144
02-16-2007, 09:24 AM
do you ahve the stock heal gaurds? ig you have the metal plates and your handy at weld in you can weld a bar across the spot where the 2 whols ar for the plastic pops in, im gonna do it to mine some time once i get some free time i for it deom a guy on here i dont know where but it was on here some where! i have the AC nerfs there not ban but i wish they had straps that went on to the frame,
good luck!

Ruby Soho
02-16-2007, 10:29 AM
i made my own heel gaurds.:D

RockstarSMP
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the input. Five pounds, huh? Is that to make it slide easier, instead of tipping? Whatever the case, I guess I'll start running the tires at that.

I'm gonna try and find some nerfs on Ebay. As for the heel guards, the fenders seem to be pretty low, but I'll have to check more into that. I'm thinking I can fabricate something to the nerfs I end up getting.

Thanks a lot!!!

400eXr1d3rZ
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by RockstarSMP
Thanks for all the input. Five pounds, huh? Is that to make it slide easier, instead of tipping? Whatever the case, I guess I'll start running the tires at that.

I'm gonna try and find some nerfs on Ebay. As for the heel guards, the fenders seem to be pretty low, but I'll have to check more into that. I'm thinking I can fabricate something to the nerfs I end up getting.

Thanks a lot!!!

Less tire pressure means more traction, it will also be harder to get a flat tire (more air will cause it to pop easier, try it with a balloon), but it could pop off the bead easily.

tjf
02-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I have Pro Armor nerf bars. Good protection your foot or legs won't come off of them or get stuck.

Pro Armor Nerf Bars I have (http://www.proarmor.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=49_472_473_477&products_id=542)

400eXr1d3rZ
02-23-2007, 11:06 AM
IMS makes some really good footpegs(your foot won't slip of these), heelguards and nerfs.

bwamos
02-23-2007, 12:41 PM
5psi is a good all around pressure. Front and Rear.

Nerfs w/ a heelguard would be a good idea. I'd also get her a tether kill switch and a pair of riding boots.

You can also get footpeg extensions that bend up at a 45 on the end. They are great to assist in keeping your foot on the pegs in the rough stuff. A lot of XC racers use them. They are fairly cheap.

Zero74
02-24-2007, 02:28 PM
i have ac racing pro pegs. they are very tough and are solid. the bad part was they were a ***** to put on. i had to do some stretching on the front of them. that was 4 years ago, not sure if the fit is better now.

Zero74
02-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by tjf
I have Pro Armor nerf bars. Good protection your foot or legs won't come off of them or get stuck.

Pro Armor Nerf Bars I have (http://www.proarmor.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=49_472_473_477&products_id=542)

magic racing has them for 249.99. those look nice.

http://www.magicracing.com/LTZ400_c_199-1.html

RockstarSMP
02-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Good idea on the kill switch. I've been checking Ebay for nerfs, and boots are already on their way.

I'm a huge proponent of safety gear... Can't believe I let her jump on without boots in the first place, guess I just figured she'd be ok just learning and "What trouble could she get in going slow?"

Lesson learned.