PDA

View Full Version : break in and car questions

tyler3400
02-13-2007, 04:50 PM
alright at the moment my 400ex is dwon the road at the bike shop gettgin some motor work done im having a 416 je 10.8:1 piston put in and a stage 2 hotcams. i know with this i will deffiently see a difference over the bike wich was stock before this. right now i jsut have a t-4 slip on pipe on it, i know its not the best as a full pipe would be better but since i did not have it ported would a full pipe really help that much? also i will be running it with a twin air filter and somekind of screen for airbox have not decided it yet, but i wnt to know if a larger carb like the 450r carb would give me good gains that would be worth its cost? i run xc so if it would take any more away from my low end then id rather not do it. but also on my motor break in i know wiht cams youre not suppost to let it go under like 3000rpm but wiht piston its suppost to have varied rpms so how should it be broken in? thanks and sorry for long post i really appreciate it.

Bigbadfords
02-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I really dont think the 450R carb would help too much, maybe a little bit but I'm not sure if it would be worth the cost really, but I could be wrong. As for your engine break in period, First you want to start your bike and set your idle pretty high. Let your bike run at that high idle for about 30 minutes. Then shut your engine off and reset your idle to normal speed and ride your bike around, go through all the gears and do a lot of stop and go riding to vary the RPM's. When you do that also for about 30 minutes or so it should be pretty well broken in and ready for a good hard riding!!!

tyler3400
02-13-2007, 07:17 PM
its pretty cold up here in new york is this still ok for breaking it in?i jsut dont wnana messs it up and go thorugh all this work again, it takes to long to save up for everything on a part time minimum wage job lol

400eXr1d3rZ
02-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Bigbadfords
I really dont think the 450R carb would help too much

A carb is one of the bestm ods you can do to your quad.