PDA

View Full Version : oil in carb

hotlicks
02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
is there any way to determine if the rings are good or bad?

NacsMXer
02-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Compression tester like this one will give you an idea. You screw it into the spark plug hole and it will give you a pressure reading in psi. I couldn't tell you what the normal cylinder pressure of a 400EX is but you can probably find it easily in a search. Maybe someone will chime in with that spec.

http://kctools.com.au/images/TOOLS/TOOL%20JPEGS/TOOL%20JPEGS%20INC%20DESCRIPTION/08122%20COMPRESSION%20TESTER.jpg

hotlicks
02-13-2007, 05:00 PM
well I would , but the top end is completely apart. Is there anyway to determine if the rings are good with the top end apart?

ImplodedMindZ
02-13-2007, 05:15 PM
If u have a manual i would think there would be a measurement for ring gap. Put the ring in the cylinder, press it down w/ the piston top so its level and put a feeler gauge in the gap between the ring ends. If its outta the limits of what the book says then they are bad.

Keep in mind i am going mostly off of what i know about car motors i am not 100% sure if the procedure is the same for ATVs but u should be able to do something similar.

dixon_cass
02-13-2007, 07:34 PM
if you already have it apart why not throw rings in it and hone it? nothin like a fresh set of rings right. then u aint gotta rebuild any time soon:)

NacsMXer
02-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by dixon_cass
if you already have it apart why not throw rings in it and hone it? nothin like a fresh set of rings right. then u aint gotta rebuild any time soon:)

I'll second that... once you get the head and everything off, pulling the jug is really simple.