PDA

View Full Version : A racers life

tat900
02-13-2007, 08:17 AM
A racecar drivers life, it may take you two minutes to read this, but if you do not take the time to read this you are one of the people this post is talking about.

You stay up for 16 hours

He's been for 24 straight working to go racing for the thrill of victory and to entertain a corwd of 10,000.

You take a warm shower to help you wake up.

The thrill of hearing that engine roar keeps him up.

You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.

He's chilled to the bone, hasnt eaten all day, has the flu, had drove for 9 straight hours without anything to drink or eat, and then races his heart out for the crowd.

You drink your coffee on your way to the mall.

He drives 15 hours to the next track drinking a red bull to stay awake.

You make sure you're cell phone is in your pocket.

He makes sure he has his crew with him, no man gets left behind!

You talk trash about your "buddies" that aren't with you.

He watches his buddy get hurt/killed every other night.

You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls.

He walks back to the trailor after tearing up his car with his head down and in disgust. Oh the agony of defeat.

You complain about how hot it is.

He wears 30 pounds of gear in the middle of July and climbs in a 140 degree racecar and sweats his *** off to perform in front of a packed crowd. He loses 5 pounds every night.

You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong.

He hasnt seen a meal since the waffle house at three in the morning 2 nights ago.

Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes.

Hes worn the same stinking, wet, grungy clothes for the past 24 hours....no time for a shower he's goota get to the next race.

You go to the mall and get your hair redone.

He doesn't care what his hair looks like, it's time to perform!

You're angry because your class ran 5 minutes over.

He has to travel 500 miles in the middle of the night with a torn up racecar just for 10 thousand dollars...if he wins.

You call your girlfriend and set a date for tonight.

He calls his girlfriend to tell her he will be home sunday night/monday morning and not to worry.

You yell and scream at the raedy truck and trailor that just past you beacuse they slowed you down.

He and his crew have traveled over 600 miles in a matter of 8 or 9 hours, and their exhausted, give em a break!

You roll your eyes as a baby cries.

He cries as he hears his wife is in labor and he is 300 miles from home.

You criticize your local drivers and say their nothing but dumbass rednecks anyways.

He puts his life on the line just to entertain a crowd of 6,000 people every night.

You hear the jokes about fallen drivers and say they should have known better.

He knows that one inch to close to the next car and it could result in death.

You see the bright lights when you go by.

He sees the heartbreak, blood, sweat, and tears put into this sport.

You are asked to go to the store by your parents. You don't.

He looks into buying a 30 thousand dollar racecar because he trashed his two nights ago, and he's going to have to build it within a matter of 2 days. Can it be done?

You stay at home and watch TV.

He takes his spare time to wash the racecar at a local carwash in some unknown town, fix anything broke on the car in a hotel parking lot and maybe call his mother to tell her not to worry, he'll be home in a couple of nights.

You crawl into your soft bed, with down pillows, and get comfortable.

He tries to sleep in his truck but keeps getting woken up by the teenager messing with his truck, ahh, one hour of sleep, it should due till tommorow night. He and his crew are troopers, thats why we do what we do.

You sit there and judge him, saying the that its a waste of money to go around in circles.

But its not the money. It's the thrill of victory,the agony of defeat, the only way to make money for his family so they can eat. Seeing the smile on his son's face after he had a horrible night but his son still thinks he is the best. It's the fans that cheer for him durring driver introductions. He's scared to death that he may never see his family again,as he kisses his wife before he climbs in the car. All that just to put a smile on your face,because he is an entertainer.

cody anderson
02-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Great story and all.. But I don't know if I agree with all this. I mena, a racer does what they do because they love it. Not because somebody else is making them. This story kinda seems like we should feel bad for racers, when in reality, we wouldn't want it any other way. Sure, more sleep, less crashes, nice beds and awesome meals would be a bonus, but... That part of the deal. It is what it is.

I love the racer life...

Pappy
02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
i dont think racers bag on the fans, it would kind of be self defeating.

everyone i know races because they love it, and no matter the hardship they keep doing it!

Ralph
02-13-2007, 09:33 AM
YEah that was pretty dumb.

sly400ex
02-13-2007, 10:45 AM
I'd give anything to have a races life.

Do what you love and making a career of it, sounds really rough.:ermm:

naw0029
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
YEah that was pretty dumb.

Only because you have never done it before and have no idea what the feeling realy is. Not bashing but letting you know myself being someone who lives to race (started in go-carts now in micro sprints) can relate to that kind of story. If you dont like the post dont say any thing at all. :rolleyes:

rollie
02-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by naw0029
Only because you have never done it before and have no idea what the feeling realy is. Not bashing but letting you know myself being someone who lives to race (started in go-carts now in micro sprints) can relate to that kind of story. If you dont like the post dont say any thing at all. :rolleyes:

your on a quad fourm where the majority of people race, most everyone can relate to you, we all do it but i agree wuth everyone else, racing gets hard at times, like right now i have no idea how im going to get my quad race ready in 6 weeks for the first race, but we all do it because we love it, not to make other people feel bad for us

keller45
02-13-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm so with that! I race modlites. http://swmodlites.com

Robin Hood
02-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Nice article and all, but I don't know anyone that races for anything other than the love of their sport. The blood guts and tears come manditory.:)

naw0029
02-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by rollie
your on a quad fourm where the majority of people race, most everyone can relate to you, we all do it but i agree wuth everyone else, racing gets hard at times, like right now i have no idea how im going to get my quad race ready in 6 weeks for the first race, but we all do it because we love it, not to make other people feel bad for us

I was responding to someone else who posted that the original post was dumb. It was not it was a very good example of what a racecar driver (or someone racing a quad as in you) goes through every seasion as they travel. Hope i did not offend you. Not on here to bash just wanted to state my oppinion. And if you were wondering yes i do ride and love this sport.

rollie
02-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I was responding to someone else who posted that the original post was dumb. It was not it was a very good example of what a racecar driver (or someone racing a quad as in you) goes through every seasion as they travel. Hope i did not offend you. Not on here to bash just wanted to state my oppinion. And if you were wondering yes i do ride and love this sport.

No sweat, i was just stating my opinion:cool: nice to know you can have a civilized debate with some people on this site without bashing, haha

naw0029
02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by rollie
No sweat, i was just stating my opinion:cool: nice to know you can have a civilized debate with some people on this site without bashing, haha

Same thing I was thinking:D

Ralph
02-13-2007, 07:26 PM

That story makes racing seem like a disease. Its not. Its a hobby and u do it because you like to. Its the lamest thing ive ever read. All that crap about going out there for the crowd. BORING. That whole write up sounds like an emo kids life superimposed on a racers life.

If racing is such a burden on ur life then stop

JR3
02-13-2007, 07:39 PM
hey naw do u race at new egypt speedway i use to pit crew for a sprint car last season there my buddy craig martin drove

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/250ex3/100_0450.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/250ex3/100_0452.jpg

Dan229
02-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by JR3
hey naw do u race at new egypt speedway i use to pit crew for a sprint car last season there my buddy craig martin drove

That is a bad arse ride right there! How much does one of those things cost roughly?

1fst400
02-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Im starting on getting this years enduro car ready. Enduro = full contact racing. It is soposed to be the cheepest form or car racing. but I still manage on dropping 5g's on this and that.

The more competive you want to be the more money you have to spend. The less money you spend the harder you have to work. Race car season starts up in april, cant wait for them sleepless friday and saturday nights.

this was my budies vw rabit.

Kickstarts-suck
02-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by JR3

HOLY HUGE TIRES BATMAN! :eek2:

400EXTRA
02-14-2007, 07:15 AM
i think it would be very rough but worth it

tat900
02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f365/tat900/z-i-52K-KylePrater.jpg

one day you might see me in the hootters cup if everything works out

02-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Gee, my heart is soooooo breaking for them in their CHOICE of how they spend their time....

:rolleyes:

naw0029
02-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by JR3

No never ran new eqypt but running for points this year at bridgeport. I will get some pics. up as soon as the car is done......got a new one this year and needed to make some changes.

keller45
02-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by garandman
Gee, my heart is soooooo breaking for them in their CHOICE of how they spend their time....

:rolleyes:

This more applys to anyone trying to make a career of racing....and believe me it's hard work!

That Sprint car on there is roughly 50g. you usally go through that huge right tire in one race and it's about 180 bucks

naw0029
02-14-2007, 04:45 PM
^^^yep, and its only 180 if you got a hook up with your hoosier guy. Let alone if you get one of these things up-side down.

vpofthedrc
02-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I agree. I've been racing with my family for over 20 years now, and have never once complained or asked for any sympathy. Yeah, it gets tough to work 9 hours at my job and put in 5 more hours in the garage, but we do it because we have fun. I can't say that we have ever done it for anyone but ourselves though.

I'm excited about the 2007 season. Got a 2007 Bob Pierce Race car and a 430 c.i. Cropper racing engine. Should be a good combination. :)

idro
02-14-2007, 08:03 PM
hmmmm

I just trailer my stang up to the track in a cooled/heated 06 super duty for heads up races on fri and sat night at the track.

no stinking and sweating here... win/lose some cash and go home. :cool:

ThumPIN_450R
02-14-2007, 10:11 PM
The worst thing about that is that it actually started out as a soldiers life and at some point it got hacked into that in a effort to get people to sympathize for racers who do what we do for fun rather than soldiers who do what they do to protect our country.

Ralph
02-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
... rather than soldiers who do what they do to protect our country.

Who most of the time do what they do for

A. the money
B. Lack of other options
C. Passion for the Military

I dont think anyone should be sympathised for their actions unless it is a true Selfless act. Now dont get me wrong. Theres a difference between respect and sympathy.

02-15-2007, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by keller45
This more applys to anyone trying to make a career of racing....and believe me it's hard work!

That Sprint car on there is roughly 50g. you usally go through that huge right tire in one race and it's about 180 bucks

NO one is forcing anyone to race.

I don't have ANY patience or sympathy for people who whine about the CHOICES they make in their life.

If its too tough for you, GET OUT.

AIN'T NO WAY I have ANY patience for whining when the solution is simple - GET OUT.

02-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Who most of the time do what they do for

A. the money
B. Lack of other options
C. Passion for the Military

I dont think anyone should be sympathised for their actions unless it is a true Selfless act. Now dont get me wrong. Theres a difference between respect and sympathy.

Soldiers do it for the money? Get a freakin' clue.

They have no other options? Get a freakin' clue.

The soldiers I know live BELOW the poverty level, are highly educated, and choose to be there for code, for God, for honor and for country.

Yer prolly one of those self deceived individuals who "support the soldiers, but not the mission" theya re doing.

cletusEX
02-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by garandman
Soldiers do it for the money? Get a freakin' clue.

They have no other options? Get a freakin' clue.

The soldiers I know live BELOW the poverty level, are highly educated, and choose to be there for code, for God, for honor and for country.

Yer prolly one of those self deceived individuals who "support the soldiers, but not the mission" theya re doing.

Doesn't all that fall under C?:rolleyes:

02-15-2007, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by cletusEX
Doesn't all that fall under C?:rolleyes:

My objection was the assertion that soldiers serve for the money (there ain't no money in it) as well as the assertion soldiers serve cuz they have no other choices ( as if they are the dregs of our society in need of a jobs program)

Both assertions are pure unmixed crapola.

Ralph
02-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Umm well lets see. All the one kid talks about is the car hes buying when he gets back. Also how is recruiter kept him out of jail. Lied like it was his other job. Lets just say he wasnt the most law abiding citizen.

Same story with my friend in the marines. He sais he just wanted to kill some "A-RABS" over there. Im telling you right now he didnt have many other options. I love the kid. But he let his life get out of control and the marines is the only thing that will kick his *** back into shape.

Here is a case C. Smart *** kid decided to join the marines. This was after playing counterstrike for several years to the point he was obsessed with it so he joined the marines. I guess that would be passion.

How about a 4th. Straight A Highschool student. Teachers son. Top Musician. Got to college. Failed out. Now joined the marines. I think its great. Hes really doing good and will probably play in the band. But he ceirtaintly never planned to join.

I think you need to get a clue. Not everyone in this country is armed with a bible. And it may sound like im being a prick towards the mlitary. I told you i respect but not sympathise for most. My opinions are based on my experiences. Thats how they should be. Maybe all ur friends went because they wanted to protect our country.

If u wanna talk about this more then pm me instead of takin over this thread

czrider263
02-15-2007, 08:19 AM
you know your a racer if you think the last words of the star spangled bannor is gentilmen start your engines.

welpracing
02-15-2007, 08:54 AM
I thought it all was pretty decent. not the best storry about racing but i could relate to it. for example:

Texas GNC 2006: Freezing cold (set record cold temps) Didn't matter I was out there just riding and haveing fun.

Pell city, AL, GNC 2006: like 115 degrees. didn't matter still rode with a huge smile.

Flordia GNC 2006, around a 14 hour drive just got done with a 11 hour day of work, drove staright through sucking down red bulls, and slept in a hotel parking lot only to wake up to people messing with it and got a total of 2 hours of sleep and put my gear on and showed up and raced 2 practices and 2 motos back to back.

yes it is rough and tireing and takes the $$$ but am i going to stop? Nope not at all. i just love riding this thing. Every time a kid comes up to me and smiles and says "you race?" it just makes my day or everytime some one says "I wish I was him" it just is some of the perks of the life. but never once have i thought about hanging it up, so when you see me out there even after a crash you prolly will still see a smile come across my face.

Brandon

02-15-2007, 09:58 AM
This whole thing strikes me like Ted Johnson, former Patriots linebacker.

I'm a big Patriots fan.

He got several concussions, now he's experiencing memory loss, a little dementia, and early alzheimers.

So he blames the coach as "playing God with his life."

Funny, I didn't hear ole Ted complaining about it when he was making millions, scoring chicks, livin' the life of a pro athlete.

Now that he's retired, he's acting like the coach intentionally exploited him. Like he wasn't actually an adult, able to tell the coach "I'm not playing this week."

Fact is, we ALL make our own choices here in America.

And we gotta live with the consequences of those choices.

For racers, that means long, tiring, hot days, pinching pennies elsewhere to be able to afford racing, and lots of other hardships.

If you truly love racing, those sacrifices are no big deal. In fact, they are part of the deal. You accept them as such. You don't whine about them.

Cuz you can JUST as easily make ANOTHER choice and stop racing and then all the hardships are gone.

Ralph
02-15-2007, 10:13 AM
I just hink this is stupid cause it isnt even funny. Its a serious piece on how rough racers have it.

In reality there are so many people who have it so much worse out there. People who dont eat a meal everyday. People who work 80 hour weeks while living in a small apartment with 20 other people. People who didnt get to chose. Who didnt get to go to school.

welpracing
02-15-2007, 11:09 AM
just cus it wasn't funny doesn't make it stupid.

and i don't think this one was ment to be funny in any way. I think it was ment to show the sacrfices us racers make.

There are alot of people out there who watch Nascar or any other form of racing for that matter and say "Damn all that guy does is drive a car around every weekend, I wish that guy would have to work hard for a living, he is living a dream life" when in all reallity we work hard to get there.

Brandon