PDA

View Full Version : 416 Vs. 426 Vs. 440 Vs. Stroker?

duffman1483
02-13-2007, 04:42 AM
In terms of reliability which motor has been proven reliable? I'm building up a motor for a race/trail bike. I don't mind the maintenance or having to tear down the motor but I would really like the motor to be able to hold up to the rec riding I do. I want a high compression piston in it as my area I can easily get a hold of race gas, but I ride for up to 10 hours a day in any type of weather. I was gonna go with a 440 stroker but I heard they have overheating problems just like normal 440's. I have the whole bike set up, now I need to get the motors in them. Just wanted to pick your brains on this as with snow on its way, I have a lot of time indoors to spend on my tear down and rebuild. Any help is appreciated guys, thanks.

Bill Fuller
02-13-2007, 05:49 AM
416 kit. JE piston,TC 926 (GNCC) cam and Sparks pipe.:muscle:

02-13-2007, 06:44 AM
See below for what I went with. Its got about 4 hours total on the motor, so I can't speak as to reliability.

Generically, the more you demand out of your motor, the more stresses you place upon it. The more stresses, the increased likelihood of failure.

johnsls
02-13-2007, 07:05 AM
I think most people would say the 416 is more reliable than the others, But - I think the more you read about engines and talk to people that it all depends on how well it’s built and then how well you take care of it.

Everything breaks down after awhile so since you seem to be mechanically inclined, having to rebuild it in another 2, 3 or 4 years could happen.

I know of guys having the 440 for more than 3 years now and no problems, and its raced

I personally have the 426 and the only problem I've had is a blown head gasket. But for whatever reason I lost a bolt which probably caused my problem.

I should get used to going over the entire bike after a few rides to make sure everything is tightened down.

Theres my 2¢
Good luck

svahle
02-13-2007, 08:58 AM
I have a 416 w/ Stage II cam, 11:1 piston, port/polish, and I absolutely love it. I did have the crank go out, but it was a stock crank with many hours on it. One thing to consider is that the 440 kits get more pricey than the 416. I also just bought a 426 and I can't tell that much difference. But I don't know the details of what all was done to the 426. I hope this helps.

underpowered
02-13-2007, 09:26 AM
like garandman said, the more you do to your motor usually the less reliable it becomes. my 426 with mods in sig has been together for well over 3 years now with only minor problems like headgaskets. it is very reliable for the most part. i have never had good luck with 440's, everyone i know that has them has had problems but i ahve also heard people on here with 440's that are as reliable as my 426. reliabiltiy has alot to do with the motor builder and parts used. anything can be reliable. my buddies 460 stroker has been a very reliable bike but it has been well maintained.

duffman1483
02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks, I had a 416 that just had the stock crank with like a million hours on it go, I never went any bigger or put a lot of money into the motor, but I have a stage 2 hotcam and a secondary oil cooler. I personally am doing the head and bearings, the rockers are hard faced and while I have my trans apart I'm prob gonna case harden them and the forks just for reliability sake. In all I am just trying to figure out what was reliable and had the power differences.

SandNut777
02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey guys

Like they all pretty much said 416 is the most reliable of the bunch ,just for the fact that is the its is the smallest compression mod of the bunch. I would go with it also! the 426 is a little to close to the wall of the cylinder and you can always upgrade to the 440 if you crack a sleeve. If you do a lot of trail rideing you might think of going with 11:1 compression piston to it is more durable and not as hard of the motor.

eganracing
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
whatever u choose make sure u buy the heavy duty head studs. they are key to keeping head gaskets in one peice.

i have a 440 that has been beat to hell in MX racing and our main issue was the trans goin out. but like every one has said if u build it right it will last.

Wheelie
02-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't know where you heard about the 440 stroker's overheating, but IMO it's not true. Actually, believe it or not, mine seems to run cooler than it did when it was stock.

Almost a year now on my stroker, no problems yet, even with the stock head studs and 11.5:1 compression. If you want power, look no further than a stroker.:macho

johnsls
02-14-2007, 06:34 AM
I should also add to my 1st response that my cylinder was originally a 440, when it blew I put a bigger sleeve in and went down to a 426 (so the sleeve is thicker than boring out a stock sleeve.) :confused: I think?

02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
If I was going to do it I would go all the way and make it a 500.:eek2:

400ex124
02-14-2007, 07:38 PM
a little over a year on my 440....but im just gunna say that its all on who puts it together...and if its right.

02-15-2007, 06:48 AM
From what I was told any sport/race quad over 440cc needs a rebuild every year.

DOHC
02-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by nacs420
From what I was told any sport/race quad over 440cc needs a rebuild every year.
Thats not true i have a 440 (mods in sig) and ive had absolutly no problems at all and the motor hasnt been doen in 2 years. The 440 doesnt have problems, i ride my quad all summer long almost every day at the track or the trails. Ive never had my quad over heat and ive ridden it 6 hours with hardly any stops and on a track so i was giving it.

WhtPrd09
02-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Ive looked into doing the same thing. and it all came back 2 as long as u have a good motor builder the better the motor will be and more reliable it will be. but if u dont go with the stroker and u go with another kit ur crank will prolly go out. so u will have to get a new crank anyway.

but has any1 tried the 460 kit 4 the 400ex yet? ive seen it in a couple mags but i havent heard any news about anything?!?!?

400ex124
02-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by WhtPrd09
Ive looked into doing the same thing. and it all came back 2 as long as u have a good motor builder the better the motor will be and more reliable it will be. but if u dont go with the stroker and u go with another kit ur crank will prolly go out. so u will have to get a new crank anyway.

but has any1 tried the 460 kit 4 the 400ex yet? ive seen it in a couple mags but i havent heard any news about anything?!?!?

i agree... and ive raced a few 460's... most of the time its back and forth...i win won...he'll win won... but it could be the rider or just how the bike is put together i duno... but a local buddy of mine that works at honda has the 460 stroker, havent raced him but supposebly it runs good.