PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Putting Engine Back Together

kalebarellano
02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Ok, here is my situation. I am in the middle of completely remodeling my 400ex, as some of you may have already read. Right now I am almost done with my frame, but I need to get my motor together. Right now It is in these pieces bottom end, cylinder, head, valve cover, right side is off.

I have bored the cylinder to 406, I have a 86mm wiseco for it. New valve seals are installed. I also have a crf 450 cam chain. What should I do first? install the cam chain? Could I install the cam chain around the bottom sprocket first, then get the timing right by turning the cam/top sprocket?

Is the cam just set back in the head? Or does anything special need to be done?

What is the correct procedure for all of this? Also does anyone have any special tips? This is my first rebuild, so sorry if I sound like an idiot.

Thanks

kalebarellano
02-13-2007, 04:54 AM
Any help would be great. I am going to try to start working on the engine tonight.

Thanks

kalebarellano
02-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I started looking through the manual, but anyone got any tips or advice?

Thanks

underpowered
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
alright, put the piston in and the cylinder on. next put the cam chain on the bottom sprocket. with the adjuster out you can put the cam in and time it. you can move the cam around till you get it in time. the cam does just sit in the head, nothing special need to be done.

DaSandMan
02-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Start from the bottom up. Or it will never go together and if it does you most likely wount ever get it running right again. I have seen what happens when yu top down,snaped time chain, blown gaskets, the whole nine yards. Build it from the bottom up and you will have no problem.