View Full Version : Magazines and engine cleaner

400exrapes
02-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I need help with two things i want to subscribe to a good magazine i can learn from and enjoy. What magazines are good?
Also is there any engine cleaner i can spray on my quad after a ride and then spray off with the hose when its not frozen and make it sparkle? thanks

northwest Texas
02-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Dirtwheels is good and so is ATV Action. I subscribe to both.

There's ATV Rider and Quad. Both are good as well and have their following but I like the first 2 better.

Some of the best information can be found right here though, especially for technical questions.

Ace Sixx
02-13-2007, 06:17 AM
I subscribe to Quad and DirtWheels. Quad is a well put together publication. DirtWheels, on the othe hand, is kinda lame. Sure, I like the readers rides section, but I expect it to be better written than it is.

I occasionally buy ATV Rider and ATV Sport.

400exrider707
02-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Dirt wheels is probably one of the worst publications IMO, they are so biased its not even funny. They do have a huge following so their readers rides and letters sections are good, but lately even their tech articles are trash.

Quad is going to be awesome, they are still new and very good, but they will only get better.

Honestly I hate to say it but for tech articles I read dirt bike mags... it seems that the dirt bike guys who ride/race know more about tech stuff, than most atv'ers, only because a lot of atv'ers are just avg joes who dont know how to work on anything. Motocross action mag is probably one of the best most tech oriented mags... hands down!

northwest Texas
02-13-2007, 08:53 AM
I'd just like clarification but who is DW biased towards, Honda or Yamaha? The Honda guys say Yamaha and the Yamaha guys say Honda. I'm a Suzuki guy at heart but don't have a dislike for any of the mfg's and I don't see the bias many claim to exist. I grew up loathing Honda but I can't ever see getting rid of my EX. Rational thinking has triumphed over youthful emotion of my young age.

I've been reading DW (and ATV Action) probably longer than most members here have been alive and I don't see the bias. I've looked because of the claims and maybe I'm just too blind to see.

I'll admit most of the tech how to's are pretty basic but lets face it, not everyone has been riding xx years. For the more technical issues, there's great sites like this one to pick up the slack.

I've been impressed with Quad, it's good but except for all color pages it's still lacking. It has a lot of flash but I don't see enough in it to justify a subscription.......yet.

Scro
02-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
I'd just like clarification but who is DW biased towards, Honda or Yamaha? The Honda guys say Yamaha and the Yamaha guys say Honda. I'm a Suzuki guy at heart but don't have a dislike for any of the mfg's and I don't see the bias many claim to exist. I grew up loathing Honda but I can't ever see getting rid of my EX. Rational thinking has triumphed over youthful emotion of my young age.

I've been reading DW (and ATV Action) probably longer than most members here have been alive and I don't see the bias. I've looked because of the claims and maybe I'm just too blind to see.

I'll admit most of the tech how to's are pretty basic but lets face it, not everyone has been riding xx years. For the more technical issues, there's great sites like this one to pick up the slack.

I've been impressed with Quad, it's good but except for all color pages it's still lacking. It has a lot of flash but I don't see enough in it to justify a subscription.......yet.

Honda has probably never won a shootout in Dirtwheels magazine :chinese:

NacsMXer
02-13-2007, 10:14 AM
For the cleaner, simple green works well. You can also get simple green foam i've used it on my truck engine a few times and works pretty nicely on tough grease.

There's also this stuff at the Honda dealer in a red spray bottle called Hondabrite. Very handy everytime you wash your quad. Spray on, scrub if you need to, and rinse off. Seems to keep the aluminum on the motor and everything else looking its best. Also is nice because you can use it on the whole quad...recommended for plastics, rubber, metals, etc.