PDA

View Full Version : Three Letter Word Seach

JOEX
02-12-2007, 08:03 PM
The seach function here has a minimum word length of three characters.

That dosen't mean you can't search three letter words like 'cam', 'HMF', 'FMF' etc...

All you have to do is add an asterisk (*) to the beginning or the end of the three letter word.

cam* or *cam
*HMF or HMF*
etc...

Adding the asterisk to either end may result in different results meaning *cam may have different results that cam*. Try them both for which ever three letter word you're trying to search to get the most results.

Scro
02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Not complaining or anything, but what is the technical reason we can't search for 3 letter words?

JOEX
02-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Not complaining or anything, but what is the technical reason we can't search for 3 letter words?
I belive it has to do with the forum software. Which is something i'm not envolved with.

olimj
05-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
The seach function here has a minimum word length of three characters.

That dosen't mean you can't search three letter words like 'cam', 'HMF', 'FMF' etc...

All you have to do is add an asterisk (*) to the beginning or the end of the three letter word.

cam* or *cam
*HMF or HMF*
etc...

Adding the asterisk to either end may result in different results meaning *cam may have different results that cam*. Try them both for which ever three letter word you're trying to search to get the most results.

I've seen this advice given as a workaround, but the fact is that an asterisk (*) means the same as "1 or more of any character", not "0 or more". So for instance, using HRC* as a search term will not turn up this post (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=299512), but will turn up posts containing "HRC," "HRC." "HRC/FMF" etc. This is quite misleading and severely limits search results for 3-letter terms for which there's no other way to search.

JOEX
05-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by olimj
I've seen this advice given as a workaround, but the fact is that an asterisk (*) means the same as "1 or more of any character", not "0 or more". So for instance, using HRC* as a search term will not turn up this post (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=299512), but will turn up posts containing "HRC," "HRC." "HRC/FMF" etc. This is quite misleading and severely limits search results for 3-letter terms for which there's no other way to search.
It may not be perfect but this is what we have to work with. If there's a better way i'm sure everyone would like to know:)

HRC* came up with 188 topics
*HRC came up with 148 topics

It's better than nothing;)

born2ride14
05-16-2008, 02:46 PM
NOTE: you can search for 2 letters such as DG but you need a star before and after the word

EXAMPLE: *DG*

mooseracerX
08-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Mods do you think you could put this as a sticky in all of the different topics? People forget to look here and they don't know how to search 3 letter search term and they end up asking the same question as ten different people.

matt14c
03-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Everytime I do this my internet explorer freezes and it comes up error. Whether i put it at the begining or the end. Not my computer I dont think. I have a new HP laptop with Vista pro and not sure what internet explorer but its definitly newer.