PDA

View Full Version : Anyone self-employed here?

sly400ex
02-12-2007, 07:56 PM
For those of you that are self-employed and make a decent living (meaning able to care for you and your family), what is that you do?
How did you get started and where did you get the idea to start this business?

I'm just curious, I'm almost 30 and I have been tossing the idea around of working for myself, problem is, I don't know what I'd want to do!:o My background entails working on computers for several years at a large corporation, and more recently plumbing. I liked working on computers, but that field seems flooded now. Plumbing is not my thing!:scary:

Decisions, decisions.......

ShiftFMX
02-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Explore the Trades man!

You may not like plumbing, but check out electrical, HVAC etc!

sly400ex
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I know. When I lost my IT job due to downsizing, I actually went back to school for HVAC. I enjoyed the schooling, so I went and put my name on the list for union fitters and plumbers. (pipe-fitters cover HVAC portion). I absolutely hated the "union" mentality of it all and that's why I quit. Bad part is that 90% work around here is union. I basically gave up almost $40 an hour, but I was very unhappy with the career path.

Quad18star
02-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Yeah, I know. When I lost my IT job due to downsizing, I actually went back to school for HVAC. I enjoyed the schooling, so I went and put my name on the list for union fitters and plumbers. (pipe-fitters cover HVAC portion). I absolutely hated the "union" mentality of it all and that's why I quit. Bad part is that 90% work around here is union. I basically gave up almost $40 an hour, but I was very unhappy with the career path.

Out of curiosity , what was it about the union mentality that you didn't like ??

crazedape
02-12-2007, 08:44 PM
I am 22 and work in the construction industry. I mainly paint but I do other things too. I basically do what a contractor does most of the time. I set up renovations on houses, I also do construction clean up and clean out rental units. I do run a painting outfit as well. I also am a real estate agent and help people buy and sell homes. I don't like having a real boss and anytime I feel like going on vacation or sleeping and riding quads or hunting, I just go and do it.

HB416EX
02-12-2007, 09:05 PM
I am self employed I own a repossession company.I make 120,000 a year work 5-6 hours a day 4 days a week.

Stevie-D
02-13-2007, 04:08 AM
Trimmer:macho

got started right out of school. was installing kitchens for a while, but that started to dry up, so i jumped ship and am now installing interior trim and railings. pay is great, and i make my own hours. i havent worked an 8 hour day in i don't know how long, and often just work a 4 day week. i am still bringing in more this way than at a 40hr/wk deal

Pappy
02-13-2007, 06:43 AM
well, i am both:eek2:

for the past 2 years i have been fully employed, and have my own business, so my view is a bit cloudy right now:p (100 hours + a week is normal for me, and has been for 2 years straight!)

other then the typical business stuff, being your own boss has its perks and its drawbacks. i am fotunate enough to have a wife that knows the books, tax junk etc, so i concentrate on the work load and marketing blah blah blah. it is a 24/7 job, you are never away from it so you had best pick something you have a passion for. even then, it can get old and burn you out.

this is amerca, make your own path!

sunco
02-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Sunrise chimin in. I'm a carpenter. been self -employed for 24 years also worked corporate for 3 years(2 full time jobs) the wife loved the check. Hey nothing is easy. As pappy said be passionate about your job. Working for yourself draw backs are health ins. retirement, to many hours if you want to get ahead, management of people, you better know how to run a bussiness which is different than doing the job you like. The rewares are great as well. You need to have a good quality of life. 1st put God in your life the rest you'll figure out as you go along. Jobs will come & go but you only have 1 family(some of us). Good Luck !!!!!!!!!

10 SECONDS......................................:eek2 :

Chin_Chilla
02-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Lawn Maintenance is where the money is at my man... Anything and everything that has to do with lawn and yards, mowing, tree trimming, firewood, clean-up, add-ons, I could go on and on. The money is there and demand too. Get you a mower and a weed-eater and you could literally quit your day job. Trust me. Last week I trimmed about 6 oak trees for a customer, worked no more than 4 hours and walked away with $650!! If you want it, its there!

blasterfreak99
02-14-2007, 09:05 AM
its not me but i work there. my dad owns a diner. my stepmom and my aunt started it and my aunt retired so my stepmom and my dad bought it from her. i have worked there for the past two years to pay for my stuff. its a pretty good business but it is hard to prep/cook.

sunco
02-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I think Chin_Chilla is bias. I hear everthing is big in Texas.:D

rollie
02-14-2007, 09:50 AM
My dad owns a plumbing company, he does very well for our family and i plan on taking over his company one day, plumbing isnt really my thing either....but the money is!!!:cool:

tat900
02-14-2007, 09:56 AM
i run a lawn/landscaping biz . I do around 100 yards a week with a helper we get in out on a subdivision yard in aobut 15 min and make 50$ you do the math . this season im hiring another crew and hopefull do around 175 yards a week

dan harris
02-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Before opening the Breezewood Proving Grounds I too owned a lawn care business. Thats a great business, very easy to get into, and very rewarding if your hardworking and motivated. We are all very fortunate that we live in this great country where you can do anything.

I had a vision to open a place where people could come and ride and stay and enjoy the sport. Its taken alot of work, time and money but I've finally achieved my dream. And to be honest I haven't worked a day since opening the park - Its not work if you love what you do.

sunco
02-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Dan , if its not work then what should I tell my wife I've been doing & where I've been goin all this time?:huh