PDA

View Full Version : installed 450r carb GOT PROBLEMS!!!

hondaracer57
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Im sure this isant a huge problem for yins but im not very good at jetting..ight i installed my carb today every think went well even with first start up... well i fired it up sounded good idled alittle low so i turned the idle up alittle then i waited like 5min to let it warm up a bit then hit the gas and it boged alittle waited acouple more minutes and hit the gas again, it didnt bog as bad but it still did..my jets were 178K main and stock pilot jet im not sure what notch the needle is on but it came off an stock 450 so im guessing its stock and 2 1/2 turns on the A/F screw....so then i though it was too rich so i put a 172K main and everything else the same and it seemed to get alittle worse so then i tried a 170K main and it ran really bad as so as u touched the gas it wanted to die and backfired outa the carb...so i though maybe it was a leak in the intake boot i tried sprayin WD-40 by it and it didnt do anything i have started fluid but i wasnt really sure if i should u it so i didnt...so my question is what am i doin wrong here am i still to high on the main jet or u think i have too move my needle or what lol cause im clueless and im hopein to get it done tommorrow cause we are suppose to get like 14in of snow so i wanna go play alittle...
Thanx in advanced.....

by the way its like 25 degrees here and i like in pa and i think its around 2000ft above sea level....

400eXr1d3rZ
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM
What color was your plug?

hondaracer57
02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
damn lol thats the one thing i forgot too check...ill have too put my new plug in and check it tommorrow...

quadracer505
02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
the main jet is just your top end. It sounded like you need to mess with your clip which is mid range. Or af screw which is bottom end. It didn't sound like you were getting the motors revs up high enough for the main to affect the bogging. Thats how it sound to me but I could be wrong.

hondaracer57
02-12-2007, 08:12 PM
it seems more mid in the throttle so ill try too move the clip tommorrow should i go up or down with it?and what about my main jet should i throw the 178K back in or leave the 170 in it,i have a 170,172,175,178,and 180 if any of them would be better please tell me...

northwest Texas
02-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Did you mess with your Air/Fuel Screw? I think you wasted your time with the main jet. I'd go back to where you started, new plug, and tinker with the A/F screw and see what that does.

BTW, how did you make the larger hose work on the petcock? Just clamp it tight to make up the difference for the larger 450R hose or what?

I'm about ready to install my carb on mine and I've seen no one has commented on that minor issue.

hondaracer57
02-12-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah i just used a hose clamp plus i cut alittle off of the stock fuel line its alittle too long.i heard ppl were havein problems bolting there airbox back in the stock position and mine fit just fine..

hondaracer57
02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
ight i put my new spark plug in and put a 180K main jet, stock pilot,4th notch up on the needle,and about 3turns out on the A/f screw it runs pretty damn good instant throttle response and feels alot faster but there is too much snow too know for shore..but it still stalls out every once and awhile and the spark plug color isant whit and isant brown its more like a gray. im wonderin if i should bump up the piolet to like 50 and maybe the main jet one size?what do yins guys think....

hondaracer57
02-15-2007, 08:02 AM
any buddy ?

hondaracer57
02-15-2007, 08:24 AM
o and i had too leave my lid on it would bog with it off..and i would like too take my lid off cause i got a outerwear lid...