View Full Version : A Couple Of Performance Questions?

bobbys9350
02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey Guys, Have a few questions about my jetting. the quad is an '06 450-ER. My current mods are a DMC slip-on, and I am going to be putting in an aluminum air box (new off ebay) in it. i live in northern indiana and elevation is around 700-800 ft. above sea level. I have a Dynojet needle and im wondering if i should use it or get an HRC? what clip should it be on with the box and filter? Also, the bike has always started hard when cold. with the choke on you have to crank it FOREVER before it will start and it always runs the battery dead. if i pump the gas about 5 times it will fire right up and it will also fire right up when up to temp without any gas. which needle would control fuel on start up? if you guys could give me some Keihn jet sizes for ALL the jets to help me get this thing running right that would be AWESOME! By the way i have an adjustable air/fuel mixture screw to put in so do you have a ballpark number of turns i should go out on it?

Second. I want to get a HC Stage II. Will factory springs be suffecient for this cam? I heard that they would but i want to be sure..... Also, what jetting changes would need to be made after the cam install along with my current mods?

Third. Would a Rpm extender be a good idea? if so what Brand is the BEST? also i am wondering about a programmable ignition curve box? which brand is the best for this? Do they make a RPM extender AND a rev box in one unit?

Last. After the cam what would be next on the "to do" list as far as best bang for the buck goes?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated! I really appreciate your guys time and knowledge. Thanks!!! :):

02-12-2007, 12:08 PM
do not ever use gas when starting the quad...do as you said...hit the throttle 5 times then hit the magic button.

i do no tknow if you know this, but there is a green wire coming from your cdi that you can cut to make it like the hrc kit cdi box. it slightly changes the timing curve and adds about a 1000 rpm. from the front of the bike, the cdi has 3 plugs, the green wire in the left plug is the one you want to cut.

the pilot jet is the one that would control start-up the most...i went up on mine from a 42 to a 45...i think...just one size over stock anyway...

best bang for the buck, is always the suspension...it should be done before any performance gains...if you can't handle the added performance, it is useless...you will be surprised how much better the bike seems with some suspension work. you will be faster and more in control

bobbys9350
02-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks! I did go up to a 45 pilot and it didnt seem to help... Keep the replies coming please!

bobbys9350
02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
so keep the stock leak jet? oh i almost forgot to say i have the boyeseen accelerator pump cover.