PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Problems

Scottt89
02-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, I am breaking down the R for some winter work. I went to take my front wheels off (Hipers) and I can't get the things off. I tried kicking them from behind and everything, its like they are stuck on the Hub.

Anyone ever had this problem with Hipers? Any suggestions? I'm at the point of taking the entire hub off or pulling the studs out.

lee37vernon
02-12-2007, 01:17 AM
had this on cars , a clean square whack from behind with a peice of 2 x 4 does the job to break that bond normally , or hold it against wheel and tyre and get someone to mallet the wood .

cdrookie
02-12-2007, 03:35 AM
drill the holes out a little bigger

NJD
02-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by lee37vernon
had this on cars , a clean square whack from behind with a peice of 2 x 4 does the job to break that bond normally , or hold it against wheel and tyre and get someone to mallet the wood .

Good idea. By using a piece of wood, you can evenly spread out the energy from the mallet blows, that should get them out.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
This might sound like a dumb idea, but loosen the nuts some, just enough to have some play between the nut & rim & ride a little.
Not much just a little around the house to free the rim up.
Whats happened is the nut has flaired the aluminum rim part around the stud & locked it in place.
Neil

Scottt89
02-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to get out there this weekend and give it a shot!

svahle
02-13-2007, 08:54 AM
If you are using a tapered lug nut, be sure to put the FLAT side toward the wheel and use a washer between the lug nut and the wheel. As far as I know, all Hiper wheels are made for flat lug nuts instead of the tapered lug nuts that Honda uses. If the tapered side is toward the wheel it can cause problems removing the lugs and wheels. Just a thought. Good luck.

clutch22
02-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by svahle
If you are using a tapered lug nut, be sure to put the FLAT side toward the wheel and use a washer between the lug nut and the wheel. As far as I know, all Hiper wheels are made for flat lug nuts instead of the tapered lug nuts that Honda uses. If the tapered side is toward the wheel it can cause problems removing the lugs and wheels. Just a thought. Good luck.

Ya. my friend put tapered nuts on nontapered wheels.... That sux tryin to get those off... We took off the back wheel hubs and had to hammer it out.

clutch22
02-13-2007, 07:54 PM
.... and since we're talkin bout wheels and lugnuts, ,,, How many pounds are you supposed to tighten the nuts to? j/w

C-LEIGH RACING
02-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by clutch22
.... and since we're talkin bout wheels and lugnuts, ,,, How many pounds are you supposed to tighten the nuts to? j/w

Hummm, you got me on that one.
Should be listed in the manual but just guessing & thats a 10mm stud, I would say around 30 ft lbs.
I just use a 3/8s butterfly air impact for mine, zip zip & I'm done.
Neil

clutch22
02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
i have a half inch impact that i used to use but i started tearin up my wheels... Got alot of metal shavings.