PDA

View Full Version : Question... Cold EX.

rYan01400EX
02-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Hello,

My 400EX has sit for a month or so.. It's been extremely cold.. This thing is so hard to start.. but I can get it on choke and it'll run.. I guess I need to leave it there for a bit, right? Well, sometimes it'll die and won't start back.. I'm stumped.. I know all is good as far as spark and things.. Anyone else have a clue?

Thanks

hornetgod13
02-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Install a 42K pilot jet and that will make cold weather starting so much easier. The stock 38K pilot doesn't supply enough fuel in cold weather and makes it difficult to start when the motor is very cold or the outside temperature is below 40 degrees. You can get a 42K pilot (slow) jet at www.jetsrus.com for $6.00 or $7.00. Instructions on how to install it can be found in the "how to" section of the website.

I saw in your signature that you have a K&N filter and you "hate it". I got a chuckle out of that. I have a UNI sponge filter and love it! It's a breeze to clean and it filter as well as, if not better than a K&N filter. You should buy one. They're only $20.00.

rYan01400EX
02-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Whoops, forgot to mention.. she's got a 42 in 'er... I don't know what her problem is..

Oh and yea, the K&N.... junk.. I hate that air filter.... If I only a man could find a WIX for one... I suppose the UNI's are nice.. I'm gonna have to pick one up.

scruff_mcruff
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Install a 42K pilot jet and that will make cold weather starting so much easier. The stock 38K pilot doesn't supply enough fuel in cold weather and makes it difficult to start when the motor is very cold or the outside temperature is below 40 degrees. You can get a 42K pilot (slow) jet at www.jetsrus.com for $6.00 or $7.00. Instructions on how to install it can be found in the "how to" section of the website.

I saw in your signature that you have a K&N filter and you "hate it". I got a chuckle out of that. I have a UNI sponge filter and love it! It's a breeze to clean and it filter as well as, if not better than a K&N filter. You should buy one. They're only $20.00.

my bike has no issues starting in cold weather w/ a 38 pilot and the choke removed.and its been in the 20's the last 3 times ive ridden. 2 quick pumps, hit the button, hold throttle lightly for 10 seconds, then it idles on it own. i think putting a 42 in is just a band aid for the carb not being set up right.

Honda#4
02-12-2007, 09:30 AM
what's your jetting currently? Try a 165 main or a 170 main to see if that works with your setup.