PDA

View Full Version : There she blows.....

Crazy lil punk
02-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I think I blew my top end today, the quad just stopped, and the kick start goes down with no effort, now the fun beggins, rebuild time.. could it be anything other then a top end?
thanks in advance

deathman53
02-11-2007, 07:19 PM
not really, you might find bad crank bearings or excessive play in the rod. Both require a full rebuild. Sometimes top end failure is related to the igniton timing.

kiesta00
02-11-2007, 07:34 PM
might have had detonation and put a sunroof in your piston...thats y theres no compression. Sorry to hear that man, I just did a total rebuild on mine and love it now. Good luck with the rebuild!!

Crazy lil punk
02-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
not really, you might find bad crank bearings or excessive play in the rod. Both require a full rebuild. Sometimes top end failure is related to the igniton timing.

that doesnt sound fun at all... how hard would it be to replace all that? and what am I looking at for a price on parts? Im going to try to do all the labor with my pop...I hope its just rings.....
thanks for the info

Crazy lil punk
02-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by kiesta00
might have had detonation and put a sunroof in your piston...thats y theres no compression. Sorry to hear that man, I just did a total rebuild on mine and love it now. Good luck with the rebuild!!

what do you mean by detonation? how much did it cost you to finish your rebuild? alot of down time? thanks for the headsup

kiesta00
02-11-2007, 08:40 PM
if it ran lean, it could burn a hole in the top of the piston, therefore letting air leak into the crankcase == no compression. Hopefully you can get away with a new piston, fresh bore, and rechambered head...someone else can chime in, I'm not sure what else to look for with this problem.

Crazy lil punk
02-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Hopefully you can get away with a new piston, fresh bore, and rechambered head

you mean I probally can't just put a new "top end kit" on?

draggin-accord
02-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Crazy lil punk
you mean I probally can't just put a new "top end kit" on?

best case - new piston, rings & cylinder hone. only down a few days depending on the machine shops schedule.

worst case - pieces of piston are down in the bottom end or crank bearing is wooped. the will require new pistons, rings, cylinder hone, splitting the cases, all new gaskets, & possibley new crank bearings, etc... & honestly while its torn that far down you should go over everything. i did all new seals & all new bearings when i did mine.

02-12-2007, 02:10 PM
rebuild it yourself, i do all my 2 strokes right at home...unless there is something really wrong with it (bottom end)....do a top end rebuild yourself and save a few bucks

Crazy lil punk
02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by my88r
it happened to me i put a new spark plug in it and it was fine

your bike had the same problem? and all it needed was a plug?

my88r
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
did you try a new plug

86 Quad R
02-12-2007, 03:46 PM
before you do anything to it. you should figure out what caused this to happen. there are a number of things that could have happened. i/e overheated, blown base gasket, blown head gasket ect ect ect.

i'd do a leak down test to check for possible leaks first. do the process of elimination on it.

how long have you been running this particular engine with the current setup? was the jetting dialed in correctly?

Crazy lil punk
02-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
before you do anything to it. you should figure out what caused this to happen. there are a number of things that could have happened. i/e overheated, blown base gasket, blown head gasket ect ect ect.

i'd do a leak down test to check for possible leaks first. do the process of elimination on it.

how long have you been running this particular engine with the current setup? was the jetting dialed in correctly?

bought the bike a couple months ago, as soon as I got it home I cleaned the filter, ran fine untill 2 weeks ago when I blew a radiator hose, replaced both hoses, thats the only thing I touched on the motor. What does "leak down test" mean? and After I rode the bike a couple times a realised the crank case was bone dry. So I put some 10/40 oil in it. Did I do something wrong?

kiesta00
02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
did you still have coolant in your radiator? how is your overflow tube routed? to the open or to an overflow tank? I know when I first got mine, my friend was riding it and the overflow tube was blowing out steam...ran outta water, thank god i caught it before I messed something up.

Scott-300ex
02-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Prolly need new piston rings and gaskets, it prolly just burnt a hole in the piston.

Don't listen to my88r he's just a jokester on here, like is on here just to mess around.

2-strokes are easy to do topends, I could have it all done in a day EASILY if I had all the parts, just take your time, get a manual, and torque them all, and make sure you do it right.

kiesta00
02-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Changing the top end isn't hard, just might be a lil tricky at first. Theres always a learning curve your first time!

Crazy lil punk
02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Changing the top end isn't hard, just might be a lil tricky at first. Theres always a learning curve your first time!

yeah, my Pop will be tearing it down with me, so I'm sure we will be okay

Crazy lil punk
02-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Prolly need new piston rings and gaskets, it prolly just burnt a hole in the piston.

Don't listen to my88r he's just a jokester on here, like is on here just to mess around.

2-strokes are easy to do topends, I could have it all done in a day EASILY if I had all the parts, just take your time, get a manual, and torque them all, and make sure you do it right.

yeah, I'm praying it's just a top end kit

cdrookie
02-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by my88r
it happened to me i put a new spark plug in it and it was fine

your "kick starter went down with no effort" and a spark plug fixxed that?

fouled plug will cause a bike not to run, but it won't restore any compression...

250r4life
02-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
your "kick starter went down with no effort" and a spark plug fixxed that?

fouled plug will cause a bike not to run, but it won't restore any compression...

he didnt say it was fouled... he just said a spark plug fixed it...

if he didnt have one in it- his kick starter would go down without effort... and placing a spark plug there would fix that..

cdrookie
02-15-2007, 05:52 AM
^ huh:confused:

did you read the whole thread?