PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky front end on 05 400EX

mattn03
02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
There is a squeek coming from the front suspension whenever the a-arms cycle on my 05 400EX. Would this be in the a-arms or shocks? Can I use WD-40 at the pivot points to quiet things down a little. It's kinda embarrassing....:p

Pipeless416
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by mattn03
There is a squeek coming from the front suspension whenever the a-arms cycle on my 05 400EX. Would this be in the a-arms or shocks? Can I use WD-40 at the pivot points to quiet things down a little. It's kinda embarrassing....:p

lol, just get used to it. its usually caused by the lower shock bushings. you can take them all out, clean them so they're spotless, grease them up, and put them back if youd like. it'll solve the problem for a little while, but the sound will be back shortly. :p

02-12-2007, 06:17 PM
:rolleyes: INSTEAD OF GREASE TRY ANTISEZE ITS BEEN WORKING FOR ME FOR OVER A YEAR........:chinese:

HondaEXrider22
02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
This will fix it i garentee, I have the same exact problem and know how you feel.

1. Take bolts out of the shock and aarm mounts
2. Take the little bearing thing out of the aarms(dont know what its called.
3. Use automotive grease and grease the bearing things, that holes that the bolts go in, and the bolts themsleves.
4. Reassemble.

mattn03
02-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
This will fix it i garentee, I have the same exact problem and know how you feel.

1. Take bolts out of the shock and aarm mounts
2. Take the little bearing thing out of the aarms(dont know what its called.
3. Use automotive grease and grease the bearing things, that holes that the bolts go in, and the bolts themsleves.
4. Reassemble.

Sounds good. How long does this fix usually last?

firefighterjosh
02-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by mattn03
Sounds good. How long does this fix usually last?

MIne has lasted over a year now and I use waterproof grease on mine.

HondaEXrider22
02-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Few monthes maybe, depending on dustyness, wetness, ect... I ride dusty (coal strippings, tree farms) so i have alot of squeek experience lol.

mattn03
02-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I just have to find time to tear it down and repack everything. I recently purchased the quad used, so I'm not sure if the previous owner did this in the past. How long should it take to take the arms and lower shock mounts loose to regrease it?

kalebarellano
02-13-2007, 12:44 PM
It is super easy to do, should take no more than an hour the first time. About once or twice a year we do it to all the four-wheelers. The grease will last a long time if you keep out of mud/water and dont use a pressure washer to clean, or at least not in those area's.

I am thinking about installing zerks on the a-arm bearings. Would make greasing a breeze.

Good Luck

mattn03
02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by kalebarellano
It is super easy to do, should take no more than an hour the first time. About once or twice a year we do it to all the four-wheelers. The grease will last a long time if you keep out of mud/water and dont use a pressure washer to clean, or at least not in those area's.

I am thinking about installing zerks on the a-arm bearings. Would make greasing a breeze.

Good Luck

Cool. I wish Honda would have put zerks on the a-arms-it'd make life easier! ;)

JBacon
02-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Man I hear that squeaking on my 250ex as well. Its irrirtating as crap! I tryed spraying wd 40 on mine as well. But it only worked for abour 5 minutes...lol

mattn03
02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
According to my service manual, I should use molybdenum disulfide grease on the pivot points. The previous owner included some "Marine Corrosion Control & Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease". Can I use this w/o any problems?

HondaSkidoo
02-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Mine squeaks to. I've been spraying all the pivots with Honda Lube, but it doesn't last very long. I am going to try disassembling and greasing. Thanks

HondaEXrider22
02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Im sure that grease would work. I see no reason to not use any kind of auto/marine grease anywhere.

And yeah, honda did take the cheap way out and not put any grease nipples on the parts that need it. I belive yami/suzuki does tho.

mattn03
02-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Today I removed the a-arms, cleaned each pivot bushing and repacked them with the marine wheel bearing grease. I also cleaned and greased the shock mounts. The squeak is gone now! :D I don't think the previous owner had ever done this as there was some crud in the bushings-they still moved and rotated without any binding so they seem to be okay. I'll probably try to do this once a year or whenever the squeak comes back.