PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Question...Why not these pipes?

400exrapes
02-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Okay how come you all recommend hmf pipes because i was almost posotive that the pro circuit t4 and yoshimura pipes were the best. Although i know hmf are very cheap for a pipe i want to know which ones add the most power no matter the price and tell me a couple of them

exrider2001red
02-11-2007, 08:45 AM
i no im kind of biased but i would reccomened the pro circuit t-4 it works and sounds good

hornetgod13
02-11-2007, 09:08 AM
I have never seen side by side comparisons of all the exhausts. I own a HMF slip-on. It wasn't cheap $269.00 but, I got the color I wanted with a custom black vector exhaust tip and quiet core insert.
I'm not certain which exhaust is actually the "best" but, I'm happy with my HMF exhaust and wouldn't trade it for any other.

400exridin121
02-11-2007, 09:10 AM
sparks is good im really happy with mine

mmartin
02-11-2007, 09:53 AM
I would say purchase more for the sound your going for. Most of the aftermarket slip on exhaust systems that I have seen are pretty free flowing unless you go for something quiet. I have a 99 400ex with a white brothers slip on, an 05 400ex with HMF slip on and had a 04 400ex with a full HMF system. Comparing the two with the slip ons I would say the HMF feels like it has more torque but not by much and the stock gearing is a little different on the 05 (the 99 has a rebuilt engine and new carb, only mods are jets and filter). My friends all have 400ex's as well, pipes range from sparks to FMF. Seems like everyone who has a slip on, intake and the correct jetting stays together when we run. They just all sound different. This is just an opinion, no scientific facts involved.

I didnt research the full systems much, I liked the sound of HMF so I threw it on my 04 and loved it. Lots of low end power, top end seemed to increase some as well but I was mainly shooting for a powerful trail riding bike.

I also believe with FMF and Yoshimura you are paying extra for the name. FMF has been around a long time and has earned a great reputation. Yoshimura seems to be really popular with guys that ride street bikes as well as off road, I didnt even consider them an option because of the pricing being so high. I'm not dogging either one, they both have great products.

HMF seems to be popular because of the sound, the quality is great for the price and the customer service is top notch. I stripped a screw on my cap and told him (guy named Mike I think) I had to drill it out and ended up making the hole too big. I just wanted to order and pay for a new one. He sent me a brand new cap, new screws including a few extras and threw in a few stickers (love swag) free of charge, he even declined my offer to pay for shipping. I have been bragging about them since and they have a customer for life.

Hope this helps a little...

Honda#4
02-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I have a white bros slip-on and its got great power I think, the only reason why I have one is I was'nt to kean on jetting back when I first got my quad but now sense I know how I should have bought a HMF.

ImplodedMindZ
02-11-2007, 10:32 AM
When i started lookin for an exhaust i looked more @ reviews from others on durability than anything else really. Most full exhausts provide about the same power i think, w/ exception of some higher priced ones like sparks and wantnot. So i was lookin more for a reasonable priced good quality exhaust that i didnt hear any negative comments about. That choice turned out to be a Yoshi RS-3. My choice also had somewhat to do w/ the mainstream Yoshimura name. At 400$ from rockeymountain im very happy w/ my purchace.

hondaracer57
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
i found so stuff for ya.....

Four Stroke: CT Sonic four stroke pipes are proving to be the best on the market. CT 400ex was the best Slip on pipe in a recent Dirt Wheels Magazine pipe shoot out. CT does extensive Dyno Testing to make sure we are offering the best pipe or pipe kit available. Many pipes are offered as a kit. We do this because our extensive testing would show a large gain in adding a few components like jetting or a filter change. If there is not a significant increase then we just offer pipe only. Four stroke pipes are ceramic coated, for durability and long lasting good looks.. CT only offers a slip on if this is what works best on a stock unit. If a larger diameter headpipe works better, like on the raptor we do not offer a slip on. You will note the 400EX we offer three pipes. A slip on for a stock unit, a Mid Range for a 34-40 mid range type package and a High Output for 40+ HP units. Bolting a High Output on a mid range package will give less performance than the Mid Range. You might choose a Mid Range for a stock ATV that you intend to do mods in the future. Your power gains will be better than stock but not as good as the correct pipe.

also go to this link is shows u pretty much all of the best slip ons and witch one gives u the most..
http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/dirt_wheels_march_2001.htm

hope it helps

Kaleigh
02-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by exrider2001red
i no im kind of biased but i would reccomened the pro circuit t-4 it works and sounds good

I love my T4.. This is the only place I hear everyone talk about HMF... i want to know if the people that talk about the HMF have had other pipes before.. Cause personally i think there are alot better pipes out there from reading specs..

Sparks, CT racing, Graydon, Yoshi, Pro Circuit

muddy400EX
02-11-2007, 12:37 PM
HMF is just as good as the popular brands, there just not known as well yet. all the top brands give pretty much the same power its just what sound and look you want. the pipes i wouldnt buy would be DG, cobra, supertrapp etc. they just dont look like theyd be good. ive had an e-series on one 400ex and an HMF on the next one, and i must say i liked the HMF alot better. im gonna get an LRD on the 400 i have now:D

ImplodedMindZ
02-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I would be careful if u get an LRD and u get the ceramic coated one. iv heard bad things about their coating chipping off in no time. I was considering gettin their pipe too until i learned that. donno if that problems been fixed yet or not.

ride_red666
02-11-2007, 01:18 PM
my yoshi wasnt expensive at all, it was cheaper than a hmf. i love my yoshi, lots of power and a good sound to it and it can be really loud if i want it too be. i chose yoshi cause i heard they were the best. because its japs that designed it and we all kno how smart they are....

dixon_cass
02-11-2007, 01:24 PM
HMF HMF HMF HMF HMF HMF yes i said it HMF!!!!!!!!!! i love mine. much cheaper than others $217 with jets, shipping, and spark arrestor. i love the performance it has now. jetting K&N and slipon. like i say HMF

projectram
02-11-2007, 01:39 PM
I have a WB R4 on mine and i got great power out of it. once i jetted it it was even more of a gain. i have never ridden another ex so dont know how it compares to others but i noticed a big difference.

underpowered
02-11-2007, 02:48 PM
the "best" pipe will depend on who you are talking to.

most pipes do have comparable numbers af far as HP goes, but those are dyno numbers. what about in real life? i have ridden many bikes, with many different exhaust. HMF gives great power, and a great sound tone. Pro circuit is pretty good, similar sound to HMF, but i like the power of teh HMF better. White brothers is just a poor build quality, but does give good power gains but the pipe breaks to easily. FMF is ok, but like yosh you pay for the name. yosh makes great pipes, but to pricy.

Everyone has their own opinion of what is best. i bought HMF and a very happy, but would have been happy with another pipe as well. i bought HMF because of quality first, price, adn reputation. best is different to everyone, jsut do some research, ride some quads adn see which one you like best.

400exrapes
02-11-2007, 06:55 PM
oh hell yeah thanks all of you it helps like the sound of an hmf is great my friend has basically the same exact pipe. But i dont need it that loud like it really doesnt get louder than that i want something with close to the power and not as close to the sound

procircuit406ex
02-12-2007, 07:50 AM
I think Procircuit and LRD would be the way to go great power gains and not real loud at all.

02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
A dirt wheels 400ex pipe shoot had HMF in it and it lost. The CT racing pipe made the most power but was 101dbs so ct lost from noise and the white bros E-series with 12 discs won and it had slightly less hp than the ct but less than a HP differance. :eek:

02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer57
i found so stuff for ya.....

Four Stroke: CT Sonic four stroke pipes are proving to be the best on the market. CT 400ex was the best Slip on pipe in a recent Dirt Wheels Magazine pipe shoot out. CT does extensive Dyno Testing to make sure we are offering the best pipe or pipe kit available. Many pipes are offered as a kit. We do this because our extensive testing would show a large gain in adding a few components like jetting or a filter change. If there is not a significant increase then we just offer pipe only. Four stroke pipes are ceramic coated, for durability and long lasting good looks.. CT only offers a slip on if this is what works best on a stock unit. If a larger diameter headpipe works better, like on the raptor we do not offer a slip on. You will note the 400EX we offer three pipes. A slip on for a stock unit, a Mid Range for a 34-40 mid range type package and a High Output for 40+ HP units. Bolting a High Output on a mid range package will give less performance than the Mid Range. You might choose a Mid Range for a stock ATV that you intend to do mods in the future. Your power gains will be better than stock but not as good as the correct pipe.

also go to this link is shows u pretty much all of the best slip ons and witch one gives u the most..
http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/dirt_wheels_march_2001.htm

hope it helps

Theirs the proof that the E-series is one of the best.

400exrapes
02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
i get some good stuff about the e series but ive gotten some stuff that there really badalso

dabrowat
02-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I have White Bros. E series and im happy with it.

hondaracer57
02-12-2007, 07:18 PM
ive heard alot bout the old e series breakin but im not sure bout the new..

dkrider017
02-12-2007, 07:48 PM
i love my t-4 it has great power and isnt wicked load i think it is a great pipe....but hey its all about what you want and what you like dont listen to what other people say go out and try it for your self :D

SandNut777
02-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi guys

They are all good pipes t-4 ProCurcuit is the loudest of the bunch i know that i have 1 so if your going to ride in state parks or such dont buy a ProCurcuit. Because they will not let you in the park LOL. I am looking at the HMF for cost and because they are quiet, and they look cool 2. Take that for what it is worth.I love the t-4 And the ProCurcuit Head Pipe is nice also. Lots of flow!

hondaracer57
02-12-2007, 08:06 PM
u think ur T-4 is loud ill get a pic of mine and post it tommorrow i haked about 6in off mine its pretty sweet and it still gets good back pressure...

northwest Texas
02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
SandNut, you're the first one I can recall saying the HMF is quiet. It seems like most guys say they're loud.

I'd have to disagree on the PC T-4 being loud. My b-i-l's is hardly overly loud.

I've had zero problems with my WB E-Series. I don't want to recommend them but I'll be honest about my slip-on.

400exrapes
02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
idk you think the t4 is louder then an hmf cause my friends got the dg r.a.c.e its not that popular would give a lot of power its really loud though probably like the hmf and i didnt think it went any louder then that and how loud are the yoshi rs3's? cause im pretty locked on those

northwest Texas
02-12-2007, 08:26 PM
My experience is the Yoshi and the T-4 are about the same in dB's but sound completely different (on Suzuki 400 engines) Both sound good, just different from each other. The t-4 may have a "throatier" sound to it if that makes any sense to you.

SandNut777
02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
SandNut, you're the first one I can recall saying the HMF is quiet. It seems like most guys say they're loud.

I'd have to disagree on the PC T-4 being loud. My b-i-l's is hardly overly loud.

I've had zero problems with my WB E-Series. I don't want to recommend them but I'll be honest about my slip-on.

The HMF clames they have a Pipe that sings less than 95db, thats why i was looking at it because SilverLake sand dunes has a metering spot and your exhaust cant be louder than 98db. Maybe its not the pipe you have. They come with a silenser and a sparky.

trev10
02-13-2007, 03:01 AM
Guys,
I run a Pro Circuit T4 Slip on and yes it is loud. To the point where I have placed a small plate with holes in it in between the muffler body and the end cap. Seems to have just taken the edge of it in regards to bark, but seriously sounds a lot better than the standard pipe.
As for performance, I have raced my brother who has the same model quad with the same hours on it and only just beaten him in a straight line drag. He has re-jetted and virtually removed his airbox lid, placed an XR 400 tip in his exhaust and thats about it. (gotta admit, the carby makes more noise than the exhaust.)
I am waiting on a jet kit as I am running way to lean at the moment, with the standard jetting and T4. Also removed snorkel,drilled airbox lid(still using the standard air filter).
Waiting on a Hotcam stage 1 as well.
Will be interesting to mach the two after these mods.

Trev...

hornetgod13
02-13-2007, 07:16 AM
HMF with a quiet core installed is 97db. It's quiet enough to ride in all of California's State controlled Off-Road recreational areas.

northwest Texas
02-13-2007, 08:14 AM
I didn't realize they had the 95 dB claim but that hasn't been something I've been looking for in pipes since I had not been in the market.

I'm only going on perception in that it seemed most guys love(d) their HMF but claimed they were loud.

If I remember correctly, the PC T-4 is claimed to be right around the 94 -95dB range too. Can anyone confirm that?

I'd have to go back out and listen to the Yoshi and PC side by side but I think I'd say they both are around the same dB's as well.

My WB E is louder than both but I think that's mostly the factor of worn packing. I don't remember it being so loud. I guess I'd see when the new packing comes in.

JForestZ34
02-14-2007, 03:03 PM
They do make a quiet core for the T-4 correct. I'm looking at getting this pipe again for my other quad. I really like they way it sounds and really woke it up good.

James

400exrapes
02-14-2007, 03:06 PM
yeah ive been looking at some dynos i dont want a weird shaped pipe like the cobra and stuff the ct racing one looks alright maybe has the most or equivelent power but im narrowing it down after tons of decisions its either
White Brothers E-Series
Yoshimura Rs3 Comp Series
Pro Circuit T-4
Hmf Sport Series

j450rking
02-14-2007, 04:10 PM
here is a page from the dw pipe shootout

j450rking
02-14-2007, 04:11 PM
and another

j450rking
02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
and another

hornetgod13
02-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Notice that HMF is not in that article. It's dated 2001. Might be time for a new test.

j450rking
02-14-2007, 05:06 PM
i agree

400exrapes
02-14-2007, 06:06 PM
well if anyone can find a new dyno chart of the pipes i would be more then grateful. Forgive my spelling

400ex124
02-14-2007, 07:17 PM
well i LOVE the sound of the old WB e-series... and i loved the power off the WB r-4....plus they were really loud :D but now i have a curtis sparks x4 and i LOVE IT ALL AROUND. but i do have to admit it did make my wallet decrease in size... but i think it was worth it... but like others have said it just all depends what u want... i also like the big gun evo x they put out a good amound of power.. but just go what u think you'll like and i think youll be happy.

idro
02-15-2007, 04:18 PM
i bought my HMF because its red!

It sounds really good too, nice deep tone. Exactly what i was looking for.

EDIT: Don't really care about power, if I wanna power trip ill just jump in the stang and did a few rolls to about 130 ;)

muddy400EX
03-11-2007, 03:58 AM
im deciding between LRD and T-4, and some people on here are saying the pc is quiet and some are saying its loud, so could someone with the new style T-4 (without the quiet core) tell me if its loud or quiet, lol. i definately dont want a quiet pipe, (not real worried about noise where i live)