PDA

View Full Version : best way to make a rappy less tippy??

fastfox
02-11-2007, 12:27 AM
can i but offset rims for a 660r?? to move the tires out, if so where is the best place to buy them??? or should i get wider axles or spacers??

thanks

austinm400
02-11-2007, 06:35 AM
You can lower the seat hight 1.5" by flipping the shock linkage where the rear shock conects to the swingarm. Did mine 2 years ago and like the way it feels. It only takes about a half hour to do if your somewhat machanical.

Blue_Streak23
02-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Offset rims will help, but i would get front offset rims, and an axle for the rear. Spacers, and extended hubs put a lot of tension on the lug nuts and axle bearings. Plus stock raptor axles are very weak, i bent mine on a small tree.

tater_kamik
02-11-2007, 09:35 AM
a wider axle and a arms is the best way. if you look in the suspension forum there are a lot of threads on the many negative effects of flipping rims and spacers. i dont know what you ride on but lowering definately helps, though im not sure about flipping the linkage, i would thing that would change the leverage ratio quite a bit but i havent tried it so... the ebay lowering kits are a bad choice in my opinion, there are threads about that in the suspension forum as well. the best way to do it is to get a arms and shocks designed to work with your setup. but this obviously isnt the cheapest way lol.

Screven_Rida
02-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Cheapest way to do it is to buy a lowering kit. I would just get some +2 arms and +4 axle and do it the right way.

fastfox
02-11-2007, 12:33 PM
what do you mean by arms???

gobi42
02-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm going to agree with the genarl consences; buy long a-arms(the A shaped bars the concet your front wheel to your frame) and a long axle; i know the was a nice set up in the charpael cat. for new front supsion with a-arms and the had a decent selstion of rear alxes. but that's just my opion

Glenyzracer25
02-12-2007, 09:31 AM
i had shock mounts made further out toward the wheel on my a arms and welded into place, it lowered about 2.5". it seems to work really well and have'nt had a problem yet. for the rear i bought an adjustable lowering strut. im a serious trail rider so i dont do big jumps, i would'nt recommend it for motocross, but if you are a trail rider it is a good setup up b/c you maintain close to stock width.

mxraptor149
02-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I would have to agree: Do it the right way, buy wider a-arms and a wider axle.

You can get a lifetime warranty axle for about $200 these days from companies like G-Force and Team.

As for the front, I got a set of a-arms for less than $500, and shocks for $300. Very affordable, IMO. But with wider a-arms, you do have to buy longer brake lines.

This is by far the best solution. It provides strength and durability with flexibility (i.e., the ability to ride MX, XC, dunes, flat track.) Spacers can be used, but generally limit you from motocross riding and hard trail riding. Off-set rims don't really widen the quad enough to create a big difference, I think. But offset rims used in conjunction with wider arms do help.

Austin, what do you mean by "flip the linkage?" Which part of the linkage, and how did you rotate/change it?

d-cheezey
03-10-2007, 08:42 PM
By flipping the linkage he means the dog bone in the rear. My lady had hers done and I loved it so I did mine. It helped tremendously. If I recall, all you have to do is unbolt the shock and linkage and flip the dog bone.

fastfox
03-11-2007, 06:21 AM
the problem is if I spend 1000.00 dollars on parts to do it , I might as well sell it and put the 1000.00 with it and buy a polaris or somthing

switching the dog bone is cost efective [good idea]

ECATV Raptor
03-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Get this setup...shouldnt tip too much

mxraptor149
03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
ECATV Raptor Get this setup...shouldnt tip too much

Tip your quad or your wallet? :p

Racing Rice
03-14-2007, 08:31 AM
I ran stock fronts and rear GeForce spacers for a while. They helped quite a bit. The best way to make it more stable is to widen and lower it, obviously.

My Rappy now has +2.2 arms, rear spacers, and sits two inches lower. The difference is night and day. If you can get good aftermarket suspension then do it!

wi_400EX_2001
03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
flip the rear linkage and get YFZ front shocks..

djguestone
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Why YFZ Shocks? They look very similar to the Raptor ones. What's the difference?

djguestone
03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
P.s. Is the dogbone linkage the same on the 2007 700 Raptor? Also able to flip on this bike?