PDA

View Full Version : 480 big bore

quadgod440ex
02-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Ok fellas just got the quad done , i installed the Athena 480 big bore kit , I also installed the Hot cam Stage 3 . Mild porting to the head ( just alittle nife edge) . Very impressed with this setup. I was actually expecting alot LESS . The bike has outstanding throttle response and it doesnt fall off it just pulls through the gears. Once u get into 3rd gear u can really feel the cam go to work.
Now ..... Im running a 172 Main jet and a 52 Pilot jet . If i go from 0% throttle right to FULL throttle The bike stalls. I was told that it is common for these bikes to do that. But on my bike it never did it before. Ive seen this plenty of time on the 06's But ive never experienced this on my bike. Think it has anything to do with the jetting ? If so any opinions are greatly appreciated . Thanks alot!

JW450R1
02-11-2007, 05:34 AM
I have a 04 450r.full exhaust,hrc cam,stage 2 porting.I'm running a 195 main jet.My slow jet i think is a 52.Mind doesn't fall on itface like that.Is your air ox lid off?.

mymastifftucker
02-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Main definetly sounds to small. I am running a 175 main with nothing but a full exhaust and no lid with a K+N filter. I was thinking about the Athena kit, do you like it? Was the kit all inclusive? and was it pretty straight forward to put on?

quadgod440ex
02-11-2007, 03:38 PM
The kit is Awsome , i love the power . Like i said i just gotta get the jetting right. It is like night and day compared to stock . Has so much more power. I love it i have no regrets. As far as putting it together . Its cake work . Comes with the cylinder , piston , rings , wrist pin , and a gasket set. It said i may need to change the shims because i added the cam . But i didnt need to. Very easy . The directions they give you in my opinion are junk. If i never built a quad before i think i would have probley had to ask some people a few different things. Like they didnt have anything to tell u which way the rings went on or anything like that. Always dots up.180 from each other and staggerd on the oil ones. I guess im gonna try and change the main jet to see what happens. Yes my airbox lid is off. Thanks for the input guys.

quadgod440ex
02-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Just for an update , Ive added a 195main to the bike. Idles alot better , no more stalling when hitting the throttle. Bike feels like it has alot smoother power also. Thanks for all the advice fellas.