PDA

View Full Version : crank play in cases

rustee
02-09-2007, 08:13 PM
hello all i am rebuilding my lower end. and iam useing a new hot rods crank and new bearings put the colar on the right side of crank flanged side in. got trans and cases halves back together. but i am able to push and pull the crank back and fourth i mean to left side of case and right side about .025 is this normal or should there be no play at all. i dont remember trying thatt when it came abart and i dont want to fully assamble untill i get the answer hopefully some body can let me know tonite. the manual has nothing on the crank moving side to side in the case or its tolarance. just crank and rod side clearence.

GOTFEAR
02-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Ok some play is normal did you tighten the clutch drive gear on the right side if so you should check your bearings again even if their new but take your bearins off and hold the out side of the bearing in one hand and the other hand try to move the center if it moves some you might need to replace thim

rustee
02-11-2007, 09:26 AM
GOTFEAR

thanks for the reply i tore it down again and what was happeing in the left side case even though i but a new bearing in which did not really need to be pressed in. but i did tap down in the case with a plastic mallet with out too much force was actualy moving in and out of the case race a littleabout .020 when assembled. there is absolutly no sign of wear on the steel race in the case all i can think of is that mabee the new bearing is about a thousnth off from the old bearing.so i used a small punch in the race and tapped it all around in the race with little dots so it raise the surface of the race. and now the bearing fit in the race nice and snug and the crank does not move back and fourth.probably not the best way off doing it. a little secret from my dad who was an aircraft mechanic. but i am not sure what was really the problem the case or the bearing. i had no issue with the last crank and it too moved in the case i tried it back in the case before i staked it and it did the same thing so it was doing it all along.we race tt and just wanted a fresh motor. i hope it holds up mabee every thing will seat itself in. thanks rustee........