PDA

View Full Version : elkas question (jeff can u read this)

Tommy 17
09-29-2002, 03:56 PM
when i go to turn my compression adjuster its really hard to feel the clicks in it... i'm only goin in 2 clicks on mine but its really hard for me to find them and i dont' wanna be between clicks is there anything i can do to make it easier to find the clicks??? haha i know i'm stupid:huh :o

rowlrag
09-29-2002, 08:21 PM
Try spraying some WD in behind the knob and turn it back and forth, ther could be a little dirt making it harder to here or feel the clicks. You could also take the knob off using a small allen wrench and see if there is dirt and spray it out, when you put the knob back on make sure you turn the little shaft it tightens to all the way in prob with pliers, if not and you push the knob all the way on and tighten the allen you will loose compression firmness adjustment. Also if you are between clicks it will not hurt the shock.

Tommy 17
09-29-2002, 08:29 PM
thanks for the tips rowlrag i'll try that tomorrow...

and i thought it would hurt that shock thats what someone told me but i can't remember who...

Pappy
09-29-2002, 08:39 PM
tommy..its all that "STUFF" you got on them when they arrived at yer house:eek: :blah

Nausty
09-29-2002, 10:11 PM
I can't feel the clicks on mine at all, I never got any directions with it or anything else either so i didn't know I was suppose too.

09-29-2002, 10:24 PM
The elkas seem to click better in reverse :D what I mean is when reducing the settings you can set it or count the clicks better.

I dont know why but would love to know since it would seem better in opposite form.

But hey they still seem to work great just a little bit more feel is neded when setting them.

cdalejef
09-30-2002, 08:09 AM
I guess I'm not needed after all!:(

09-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Jeff,

So this is normal?

Razorback
09-30-2002, 10:58 AM
i can feel the clicks on mine, but it's very faint, so i usually double check myself to make sure i have it set on a click. it's really a "feel" thing...

Ex'r Marlin
09-30-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by RazorbackEXRider
i can feel the clicks on mine, but it's very faint, so i usually double check myself to make sure i have it set on a click. it's really a "feel" thing... Ditto for me too! I guess this is a normal thing.

Note: I don't know much about the other aftermarket shocks out there, but I adjusted a Works shock that with each "click" was very noticeable, no mistaking them.

cdalejef
09-30-2002, 02:16 PM
Ya, its normal!

10-01-2002, 11:52 AM
That is elka for you!! PEP or axis is the way to go!!!

cdalejef
10-01-2002, 11:56 AM
We sell all three brands, I believe Elka is the best. They are about the same as Axis in the way they preform but Axis is way over priced. I don't care for PEP's because they use Works bodies.

10-01-2002, 11:59 AM
I thought they said that PEPs dont use anything works anymore. Thats what The guys from PEP tell everyone now??

cdalejef
10-01-2002, 01:08 PM
I havn't heard that one. They look the same!:confused:

Pepto_Bismol
10-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Also if you are between clicks it will not hurt the shock.

You may want to be carefull with that statement. The purpose of the adjustment is to change the arpeture size of the hole that the oil flows through. The larger the hole, the faster the oil flows, and you have less compression( soft) However, if you are between clicks, that means may be between holes, and if it's just right, you may not get proper flow, and that's equivalent to hard compression, which stresses the valving and could cause pre-mature breakdown in your seals. Especially if both shocks are not adjusted the same.

Pepto:cool:

cdalejef
10-01-2002, 02:02 PM
The holes are so close together that if you have them between holes it will actually flow through 2 half holes at the same time.

Ex'r Marlin
10-01-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks Jeff! You don't know how worried/cautious I have been making sure they haven't rotated while riding or washing the shocks.:)

cdalejef
10-01-2002, 03:07 PM
The thing I warn against is running them at full hard compression. Thats a tiny little hole that can blow seals if it takes a hard enough hit.

Razorback
10-01-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
Thanks Jeff! You don't know how worried/cautious I have been making sure they haven't rotated while riding or washing the shocks.:)

i'm with Ex'r Marlin. thanks jeff. i, too, have been constantly worrying about where those things are positioned. i never get mine close to full compression, so i'm not worried about that.

holeshot19
10-01-2002, 07:09 PM
i just wonder i got my full set off elkas for my400 in july and it seems that the rear spring seems to stiff and the valveing too soft im not a suspension genus but ill try to fugure it out and the front seem soft ive tryed raise the quad in the front and tighten the compression .

Dave400ex
10-01-2002, 07:53 PM
Yeah I also watch where mine are very close. Don`t have to worry about them so much. My Fronts are great. I have only moved the Knobs one full turn Hard. Rather then that I haven`t messed with them. Haven`t even touched my Rear yet.

Tommy 17
10-01-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin

amen!! spending 20 mins just to make sure my clicks are good thank god no more of that!

Dave400ex
10-01-2002, 08:25 PM
Now I just got to find a different place to mount my Rezzy`s so I can get a Stabilizer.