PDA

View Full Version : New Yoshi cannister came in today.

AL Elks
02-09-2007, 06:38 PM
The can arrived today with no mention of the questions I had asked Doug. One specific question I asked was what I can tell anyone else that has the first generation cans they can do to have this problem fixed.

Here's the deal. There is no doubt in my mind that the first generation cans have a design defect and there is also no doubt in my mind that Yoshi is fully aware of this defect. I called Doug (the technical sales manager) no less than 11 times. I got 1 callback which went to my voice mail. I called several more times and left him a message to call me back with no results. I called the last time and talked to Chris (a GREAT guy by the way who is in charge of research and development). Chris talked to Doug and was told to have me send my can in to Doug with a note attached and they would take care of it. Again Cris called me several times to update me on the status of my can. They were out of stock and had to build the next batch. He called me 3 times letting me know how things were going.

My personal opinion is that EVERYONE should contact Yoshi and DEMAND they replace your cans as there is a very good possibility that it could rupture and do damage to your quad. Does everyone remember the quad that had $1800 damage done to it due to this problem? Feel free to drop my name if you like because this is absolutely the last thing I'll ever buy from Yoshi.

It's all about good customer service for me guys and it is evident that Yoshi is not going to step up to the plate and acknowledge that there is a problem with the first generation pipes. There is no way they would have re-designed the can if they didn't know about the flaw. It just costs too much in R&D to do that.

Now it looks like this design will do the trick but once again they have lost my business.

I also have a PIM and FIMAK that I am getting ready to un-install (I ordered the Power Commander from FUELATV) so if anyone would like a deal I'll let it go for $350 shipped. It's mapped perfect at 3/4 throttle and Wide Open Throttle for the Yoshi full Pipe and a K&N filter without the airbox lid.

AL

spanky101
02-09-2007, 11:42 PM
how can you tell the first gen cans from the 2nd generation cans? thanks

Speed_MDS2
02-10-2007, 06:10 AM
I believe the 1st gen pipe has a polished end-cap and the 2nd gen has a brushed or satin end-cap. I too have had nothing but problems with my RS5 and Yoshi in general. Their customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. They have not sent my new can yet and they won't return calls or e-mails. Live and learn I guess. All I can do is rub their name in the dirt every single chance I get. If they would have steped up to plate and taken care of us then I would have been fine but every time you call you get a differant answer and the same ol run around. To be honest, I smell a class action law suit brewin on this very subject. I wish I had more time on my hands, I'd be leading the way.

AL Elks
02-10-2007, 07:13 AM
The first generation cans have the oval exhaust/endcap cap. The 2nd generation have a round exhaust cap.

The spark arrestor tip is oval on the first generation and the spark arrestor tip is round on the 2nd generation.

The cannisters themselves are the same shape.

05Z400rdr
02-10-2007, 07:19 AM
wow....i never would have expected customer sevice like that out of such a big company. and whenever i go to order exhaust from them, do i have to specify which generation i want...or will they ask me or what?...cuz in the magazines and stuff in there adds, they still have the pictures of the "oval" end cap... will they just send that to me if i dont specify or what will they do??

Landon

AL Elks
02-10-2007, 08:49 AM
If you order it straight fro them I wouldn't think so. I'd ask no matter who I ordered it from to be on the safe side.

blholtz
02-10-2007, 02:03 PM
what is the issue with the first gen cans? This is the first I have heard about any flaw in the can so could or would some one explain to me what the flaw is and how do I check my can to see if it ok. I guess that is unless it is an issue that can't be seen.

But like I said this is the first I have heard about it, even on this forum.

406Z26
02-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I have a RS-3 with the oval end cap...is this the style your referring to? I cant see how it could rupture in any way.

AL Elks
02-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Here are a couple of cases. There are more!

http://www.atvgraphics.org/images/hq.bmpinvision/forums/index.php?showtopic=2337&hl=melted+my+seat

http://www.atvgraphics.org/images/hq.bmpinvision/forums/index.php?showtopic=4886&hl=cracked

coryatver
02-10-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't like how they charge 40 bucks for a 2 cent resistor with a plug (the cherry bomb)

AL Elks
02-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Supply and demand!

LTR450_#67
02-10-2007, 05:03 PM
The cherry bomb is still the cheapest mod for the LTR450.......big deal....... best bang for the buck, I don't care who you are!

rh250r
02-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I agree 100% thier customer service is the worst I've seen. I've left this guy Doug 5 messages and he has not returned one of my messages. I've also called about 20 times and he never picks up the phone. Its Bull ****, they know that they have a problem. I haven't had much time to dedice to this but next week they will be hearing from me.

AL Elks if I'm not misstaken you wrote to them on thier forum page back in Dec at the same time that I brought this up with Garret, I'm glad that you got this taken care of. I will be calling Chris on Monday to hopefully get this taken care of because by the looks of things Doug does not plan on taking care of this issue. Did you have to send you can in before they sent the new one? If you did that blows, how long did they take to send the new one?

AL Elks
02-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Yea, I had to send it in. Unfortunately they were out of canisters so they had to have them built. They had it for about 5 weeks or more. I really can't remember when I sent it in now. It was at the same time I sent the letter because the letter was in the box with the can.

You're right Doug NEVER answers his phone. I left quite a few messages and only got 1 phone call back after 9 or 10 calls and then I called several more times after that and NEVER got a phone call.

Quite honestly I'll never do business with them again no matter what they come out with.

Oh well it's their loss.

If anyone can help you Chris can as he seems to be a stand up guy.

AL

Speed_MDS2
02-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Actually, the 1st gen pipes had a polished end cape and the old tube style sparky. When they started selling it with the updated sparky(cone style) they switched to a satin finish on the end cap. That would make the round end cap the 3rd gen. I hope they got it right this time.

AL Elks
02-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Hmmm!

I got one of the first pipes out and it was polished and had the oval endcap/sparky.

I've never seen a first production with a round endcap (the part where the sparky goes).

Speed_MDS2
02-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Did your old can's sparky have a long perforated tube connected? If it had the updated cone style, its the first I've heard of a polished endcap comming with it. Not really important anyways. I ordered my pipe late Feb, 06. It had to have been one of the very first units off the line, and it held up acordingly. Can't wait to be ridding around with the Dasa this spring!

AL Elks
02-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Yep, It had a long mesh tube! You're going to like the DASA. You'll just need to get some sort of heat shield for it though because it does stick out more than the Yoshi. Some have had problems with it burning their riding pants while other's haven't.

AL Elks
02-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the new design:

Here we go:

http://www.atvgraphics.org/Suzuki/LTR450/NewYoshi1.jpg

http://www.atvgraphics.org/Suzuki/LTR450/NewYoshi2.jpg
http://www.atvgraphics.org/Suzuki/LTR450/NewYoshi3.jpg

Heatpump#4
02-12-2007, 08:30 AM
yea i just ordered mine the other day hope to soon have it

AL Elks
02-12-2007, 03:04 PM
This looks much better. I had to get a wooden dowel and tap it out from the other end. It had RTV sealant holding it on.

http://www.atvgraphics.org/Suzuki/LTR450/NewYoshi4.jpg

http://www.atvgraphics.org/Suzuki/LTR450/NewYoshi5.jpg

http://www.atvgraphics.org/Suzuki/LTR450/NewYoshi6.jpg

By the way here is the letter I sent in with my pipe and like I said they didn't even take the time to respond.

Doug,

You’re a hard man to get in touch with. I talked to Chris and he informed me to send my LTR canister in with a note enclosed addressed to you.

My concern is that due the design flaw in the original canister that I will run into the same problems that I have seen with at least 5 of the initial designs (one of which did over $1800 damage to the quad) This is the reason I have asked for a replacement canister. I appreciate you taking care of this for me. Also thanks for stepping up to the plate and coming up with the new design.

I have a couple of other questions/suggestions that I talked to Chris about. As a business owner myself I feel a duty to give constructive criticism to another business if I indeed feel it may help them in any way so here goes.

1. At present Power Commander is starting to eat your lunch on fuel controllers for the LTR. Many individuals are switching to their system from the FIMAK and PIM. There seems to be two reasons for this change.
a. The Power Commander has an accelerator pump function much like the FCR carbs.
b. The Power Commander can be programmed with a Laptop and entire maps downloaded and loaded at once.
c. The Power Commander interfaces perfectly with the most common dyno on the market, that being the Dynojet and can tune the quad normally within 2 pulls.

Note: I really think that if you had ????????? (don’t worry I haven’t told anyone else who actually designs the controllers) redesign the PIM and FIMAK to where you could add these features that the Yoshi would stack up much better to the Power Commander. There seems to be a lot of sour grapes in the fact that Yoshi did not have these features designed into the PIM as most individuals feel that Yoshi is just after the buck the way the system was designed (a comment I’ve seen posted on every forum I regularly visit). Now if the above features were added you would actually have an advantage over the Power Commander as the PIM could be either programmed with or without a laptop and FIMAK is much cheaper to buy than a laptop and this would be the advantage of the Yoshi system.

2. In regards to the forums section of the website. A forum section is a fantastic idea but it can quickly turn into a very poor idea when it is not monitored correctly. If you will take a look at the forums as they sit right now the lag time between when a question is asked and the question is answered is entirely too long. Many times it takes a week or so for an answer and in a few cases over a month. I’d venture to say that if you look at the traffic to that particular section of the website it has declined drastically over the last few months for that reason. This section has the potential to actually promote Yoshi products and create business if monitored correctly and unfortunately it can also have the reverse effect if it is not.

I know I’m going to get asked about this on every forum site I visit so here goes. I know there are others that have the same concern about the older canisters. Will they be able to have their canisters replaced also?

OK! I’ve thrown out a few suggestions and I hope you take this in the way it was intended and not as a complaint.

Thanks,
AL Elks

ltrspeedracer69
02-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey AL,In those pictures is that of the new one? Is supposly fixed? I bought the full rs-5 exhaust about 45 days ago and it looks like that one. So is that one suppose to fix the problem. Another question I got the power commander and the rev extension plug they give you doesn't snap on So I called power commander and they told me to use the cherry bomb with it. So I called yoshi and they told me not too because they both change the maps. Power commander is gonna call me back but they said all there kits have the problem with the plug. Have you heard anything about this? What is the true purpose of the cherry bomb a rev extendor or a new map? Thanks

AL Elks
02-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Haha!

The CRBM is nothing more than an resistor. The Yoshi and the Power Commander should do the exact same thing.

I have heard of people having problems with them snapping in. Let me look to see if I can find the solution.

PS,

That is the new one!

EDIT: It seems that it's about 50/50 as some have the problems an other's don't. Here's one solution someone posted:

One thing that pissed me off though is the rev box doesn't just snap in the whole way like the cherry bomb, it makes the connection but I had to zip tie it on for it to stay pluged in.

ltrspeedracer69
02-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Power commander called me back today and they told me that inside the plug where it connects that on some of them to pull out the white spacer. The reason is because the pot metal behind it sometimes is pushed back far enough. Just make sure the connectors are straight when they get pluged in. So I'll see when I get home to try it out.

AL Elks
02-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Good to know because mine should be arriving in a few days.

Thanks,
AL

ltrspeedracer69
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah they were right.I got a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled it out and it snapped right into the connector. When you look into the plug you can see the big white thing that seperates the prongs. Hopefully yours wont have that problem. Power commander was real cool about it. They said they would send me another one If i wanted it.