PDA

View Full Version : kickstart return spring???

450 Racer R
02-09-2007, 06:37 PM
I have an 04 450R and the big end rod bearing went bad in it. I took it to the dealer to have them install a new hot rods crank and rebuild the entire bottom end.

Well I went tonight to pick it up after getting a call saying that it was ready to be picked up and they had it running. so I get there and i see a note at the bottom of the paper work the kickstart spring being bad and need to be changed or it'll wear out the gears.

I asked about it and I told them that it worked fine before I dropped it off. The guy took me outside to let me check it out and they had a bungie cord wrapped around the kickstart lever holding it up. I took the cord off and kick it over once. It had good compression and everything felt fine, but the lever wouldn't spring back.

It's still at the dealer and I haven't paid anything yet, but what could the problem be and could it be caused by a technician's mistake? If anyone can shed some light on my problem for me that'd be great. I'll be going back tomorrow morning to talk to the manager about it.

450 Racer R
02-09-2007, 06:56 PM
I didn't really see anything about it in the Service Manual. Think there's a chance that it wasn't installed right? I just need some opinions from some people that have rebuilt the bottom end on these before I go back and demand that it gets fixed free of charge.

HAVOK
02-09-2007, 07:01 PM
My kick starter stuck down on my 04 today when I was out riding. I kicked it started and the kicker stayed down and I grab it. I have a warrenty so I will see what they tell me this comming week.

400exrider0004
02-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I doubt they snapped that spring. I mean its a pretty HD spring and I think they installed it wrong. It has to fit in a hole to catch and make it spring back when you kick it. I would ask them to take the sidecase off and fix it.

450 Racer R
02-09-2007, 08:59 PM
yeah I seen that while looking through the manual 400. I'll mention it to the guy tomorrow when i talk to him.

they were also telling me some story about the mechanic working on it broke his ankle while trying to start it. Said the kicker snapped back up real hard and caught his leg. So I'm thinking he was on the gas and that could have damaged it.

But we'll see. I'm going to do all I can to get them to fix it at no cost. Which I don't think they're planning on doing.

quadgod440ex
02-09-2007, 11:17 PM
I see ur in hammonton , Please tell me u didnt have Motion install that on ur bike ..... .PLEASE!

450 Racer R
02-09-2007, 11:44 PM
lol no, the only thing I'll ever buy at motion is oil. I had it done in Bensalem, PA at East Coast Cycle. I provided all the parts for it and they just did the labor. They open up at 10 am and I'll be there at 9:45 waiting for the manager to show up. I'm gonna take my Service Manual with me to show him what's wrong and we'll see what happens. I HATE dealerships, but just don't have the time to do a bottom end rebuild myself.

Sjorge450R
02-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by 450 Racer R
lol no, the only thing I'll ever buy at motion is oil. I had it done in Bensalem, PA at East Coast Cycle. I provided all the parts for it and they just did the labor. They open up at 10 am and I'll be there at 9:45 waiting for the manager to show up. I'm gonna take my Service Manual with me to show him what's wrong and we'll see what happens. I HATE dealerships, but just don't have the time to do a bottom end rebuild myself.

I hate ECC. There like 15 min from me and I refuse to go there. I ordered a jet pack (sizes 122,124,ect) and I got all 122's. So i returned it and they were like well taht what you ordered and I flipped out and I was like why the #$%@ would I need 4 122's. So they gave me my money back finaly (like $9...lol) but the real part of the story is that when my dad picked it up, they made him pay for it again!

Also, they tried telling me that the 05 R's were the same as the 06's. I was like are you serious? They like yea.....I had to tell them a few things...lol. I do all my business at Hamiliton Honda now, thats were I bought my R.

quadgod440ex
02-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Well let us know how u made out man.

450 Racer R
02-10-2007, 05:28 PM
well i didn't make it out of my house til about 12. it's an hour and a half ride for me and they called me while on my way there. They changed the spring out and it works fine now. Said they had one torn apart in the back that they swapped it out of. They did it free of charge so....

Yeah, I don't know about ECC. They seem like pretty cool guys in there, but they were actually gonna give me my bike back without the kickstarter working right. that's kinda shady if ya ask me.

and don't worry Sjorge, I've seen worse. my brother took his 04 R to Depford Honda because it had no compression and he couldn't get it started. The guy asked him for the key and my bro told him it was in it... You'd never guess the reply he got. The Service Manager looked him in the eye and said, "Oh. Well no wonder why it won't start. You left the key on and the battery's dead!" :huh

Sjorge450R
02-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by 450 Racer R
well i didn't make it out of my house til about 12. it's an hour and a half ride for me and they called me while on my way there. They changed the spring out and it works fine now. Said they had one torn apart in the back that they swapped it out of. They did it free of charge so....

Yeah, I don't know about ECC. They seem like pretty cool guys in there, but they were actually gonna give me my bike back without the kickstarter working right. that's kinda shady if ya ask me.

and don't worry Sjorge, I've seen worse. my brother took his 04 R to Depford Honda because it had no compression and he couldn't get it started. The guy asked him for the key and my bro told him it was in it... You'd never guess the reply he got. The Service Manager looked him in the eye and said, "Oh. Well no wonder why it won't start. You left the key on and the battery's dead!" :huh

lol. Yea, there is no reason for me to take my quad to the dealership. ECC had a 450r with the baffle out of it and they were like yeah thats got a HRC kit in and i was like get the #$@! outta hear.

Good to hear they fixed your bike tho.