PDA

View Full Version : Engine Performance Question!

jread14
02-09-2007, 01:59 PM
What kind of engine perfomance difference will you see between the next 3 if you match them up stock for stock. Keep in mind I am talking about engine performance.

Cobra 50
DRR 50
X treme 70

My son is 4 and is on a Predator 50 and I have to start looking at something that he can upgrade to in the next 6 months. He will be running in the TQRA Peewee class this year . You cant make any engine/intake/exhaust mods in this class so I would like to look at getting him something that will be somewhat comp. in stock form. I would rather not spend $6,500 on a Cobra but am open to suggestions. Thanks for any advice that you can throw my way.

racinmason911
02-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I believe the in the TQRA the Cobra 50 has to run in the mini class. I would have to say that the DRR 50 is the best bet. They are pretty bullit proof and They dominate the GCQRA pee-wee class in the Houston Area. A set of light weight aluminum wheels with 16" snow hogs would be a good idea also to get some weight off of it. Theres are real nice DRR 50 for sale right now on www.gcqra.com it the championship winning pee-wee bike. You might want to check it out.

jread14
02-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the info... There arent any pics of the quad so I am waiting on them for now. I have heard a ton of good things about the drr's, but I am kinda intrigued by the typhoon 70. I just have not seen one run. I know that they have had some problems as most new quads do, but I dont know how much performance the 70 4stroke motor puts out vs. the drr 50 2 stroke. I would think that it would smoke his predator 50 because IMHO his predator has been a disapointment as far as engine performance goes. Thanks again..

mxdad423
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Well my opinion is stay away from the typhoon, we had a guy bring one to the track this year that was supposed to have all the hop ups already done to it and I tell you I was not impressed with it, there is now way it would come close to hanging with the 2 stroke 70's and this was a 90 typhoon and it shifted really hard I rode it myself and had a hard time shifting it.

jread14
02-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Interesting.... Good info....

LT80
02-10-2007, 09:17 AM
The DRR IMO. He is 4 ya know..:D:eek2:
I agree, good info. But IMO,"16" snow hogs",,,this is the tire I'd recommend to my competitors. Rough riding,machine busters.
Perhaps a nice soft sided knobby ie: GBC groundbusters..:)

Livin4Real
02-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Like Jack said he is only 4 so go with the DRR. The cobra 50 will hang with 90's and would be too much for the little guy.

Arctic Cat Dad
02-16-2007, 08:24 AM
I would go with the DRR! We have raced an 04 Cat for 3 seasons. Two of them on the National level. The Cat and the DRR are pretty much the same mini. This Cat has been one of the Best mini's you could ever buy for the price. This mini is bullet proof. Not to mention that it is very fast right out of the box.

STAY away from the Typhoon 70! We have raced with them and they will not even come close to running with the 2 strokes.

I have 2 complete sets of 16' wheels and tires. I have 4 brand new never ran stock AC tires and steel wheels. Four Turff Tamers style and a set of 4 Snow Hogs.

jread14
02-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Livin4real- Thanks for the info. I was not aware that the Cobras were that fast. There is not way I would put my son on something that will run with a 90 at his age and size. He rides really well, but giving him a rocket ship that will allow him to get really hurt because he is not ready for it could scar him for life mentally and physically!!!!!

Arctic Cat Dad- Are the snow hogs what you run on your sons bike? Do you run the same size on the rear as you do on the front? How much would you take for the snow hogs? Do you have any aluminum wheels that they fit on and that will fit the predator wheel pattern? Thanks, JR