View Full Version : painting a hood

kawabunga
02-09-2007, 11:59 AM
alright, here's the deal
i have a maier hood for my R and the color is faded really bad and doesnt match the red of the plastic anymore, doesn't look the best. i'm considering painting it black now.
i was just looking for some advice on how to do this.
i know i'll have to prep the plastic by sanding it with a really fine grain sand paper...how fine of a grain?
also, for paint i was thinking i'd just go with a rattle can special. krylon fusion with the plastic flex adhesive. would that work or is there something better? apply multiple thin coats with plenty of drying time between them.
i would much rather just buy a quad tech carbon fiber hood but i can't see spending that much money on a hood for my wheeler.
any suggestions are really appreciated.
thanks
kawabunga

XCpred
02-09-2007, 12:50 PM
A couple coats of fusion will work fine but make sure you read the directions and let it cure for the right amount of time.

400exrider707
02-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by kawabunga
alright, here's the deal
i have a maier hood for my R and the color is faded really bad and doesnt match the red of the plastic anymore, doesn't look the best. i'm considering painting it black now.
i was just looking for some advice on how to do this.
i know i'll have to prep the plastic by sanding it with a really fine grain sand paper...how fine of a grain?
also, for paint i was thinking i'd just go with a rattle can special. krylon fusion with the plastic flex adhesive. would that work or is there something better? apply multiple thin coats with plenty of drying time between them.
i would much rather just buy a quad tech carbon fiber hood but i can't see spending that much money on a hood for my wheeler.
any suggestions are really appreciated.
thanks
kawabunga

ehh carbon fiber ones are junk anyways... anytime they git hit with anything they crack...

paint it with the krylon

roundsy
02-09-2007, 01:03 PM
what about one of quadtech's newer plastic hoods? they come in black, red, or white i believe, they are quite a bit cheaper than the carbon fiber version

450raider
02-09-2007, 04:34 PM
id say go with a black laker custom hood, but for painting that plastic krylon paint is good stuff you just gotta follow the directions and get it right the first time.