PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Battery On The 06?

bumble bee band
02-08-2007, 11:51 PM
HAS ANYONE HEARD OF PUTTING A BIGGER BATTERY ON THE 06 ER?
IF SO WHICH ONE?
WHENEVER IM RACING AND I STALL SOMETIMES ILL DRAIN THE BATTERY BEFORE IT STARTS BACK UP.
BUT IN THE MORNING BEFORE I RIDE IT STARTS UP PERFECT.
IS ANYONE ELSE HAVEING THIS PROBLEM ?
SURELY IM NOT THE ONLY ONE.
I KNOW ON THE YFZ450 YOU CAN PUT A CROTCH ROCKET BATTERY ON IT WHICH HAS WAY MORE COLD CRANKING AMPS SO IN THEORY YOU CAN DO IT.

400exrider0004
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
You cant put a bigger battery on there unless you modify the tabs that hold the battery itself. Yes many people are having battery issues and thats why I put a kicker on mine:D

trx400exxracer
02-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Fuchs motorsports has come out with a starter improving kit for the ER!!! Sounds like he has it figured out!!! I might get this in the future!

http://www.fuchsmotorsports.com/index.html

lumi
02-09-2007, 09:28 PM
^ i wonder what i contains a better starter clutch with upgraded sprags?

-lumi

trx400exxracer
02-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by lumi
^ i wonder what i contains a better starter clutch with upgraded sprags?

-lumi
he sent this to me in an email!

The kit comes with a new airbox, battery, airbox lid and some wires. It
takes about 45 minutes to an hour and only requires common tools.

What the kit actually does is send a larger voltage to the starter but the
rest of the quad (ie: CDI) gets only the reglar 12volts. It works amazingly
well but I will not offer any sort of warranty on this. But I sell it
because I use it and I know it works and it is a problem that Honda will not
fix, I can almost guarantee you the holeshot if you are any good.

:D

bumble bee band
02-10-2007, 12:06 PM
i appreciate all your replys guys until then i just pull my clutch in downshift and get on the gas! and try and not stall lol...

:D

tfuchs
02-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Video of mine starting

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/tfuchs/?action=view&current=450r009.flv

andy roth
02-10-2007, 05:00 PM
tfuchs, So what kind Of battery is it? 16 volt battery? Why a new air box? Does the battery go inside the box?

tfuchs
02-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Stock Type battery, Airbox is for a second battery mount.

Pappy
02-10-2007, 06:32 PM
so basically you are running the second battery in parallel.

sounds cheaper to build a battery box that would attach in place of or utilize the factory mount allowing you to jump up a size (say to a YT12ABS 175cca) unit and not have to jack around with an aluminum airbox etc.

tfuchs
02-10-2007, 06:36 PM
A larger battery doesnt fix the problem or make the starter spin faster. I never said that they were in parallel. All that would do is let it crank longer not faster.
I could honestly care less if anyone bought this. I have it, It works for me and thats all that relaly matters to me. I just thought is someone wanted it I would provide it.

All I know is that I will be gettin some holeshots this year(or should)

Pappy
02-10-2007, 06:40 PM
ummm, running the batteries in parallel will allow more current to the starter, in effect cranking it faster(less voltage drop) it will also allow more cranking as stated. i geuss running it (the second battery) staight to the starter would juice it but what about charging the second unit? if a second unit is used?

as far as a higher capacity battery not providing faster starts....would you like to rethink that?

didnt mean to somehow set you off into defense land, just asking some questions. if your unsure about the product or dont want to sell it thats cool, but dont get pissy when we ask questions about it.

tfuchs
02-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm not pissy about it but this is the same conversation that has been had all year. No one has come up with a solution. This is mine.

Well Ok maybe I am pissy, I havnt been able to ride lately and I am goin stir crazy. It probably dont help that I am watchin the GNCC videos.

Any way the batteries are hooked up in series thus sending 24v to that starter. The rest of the system is hooked up to the first battery so the CDI and other stuff is only getting 12V.

Hope this answers some questions.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/tfuchs/450r003-1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/tfuchs/450r001.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/tfuchs/th_450r009.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/tfuchs/?action=view&current=450r009.flv)

Pappy
02-10-2007, 06:50 PM
LOL..see Pappy knows;) (trust me I am also ready for warmer weather!)

This isnt new, even the race cars have a 18 volt(and 24v) that apply higher voltage to the starter and 12v to the rest of the system. Its a relatively sound set up.

The only concerns I would have would be the starter handling the extra voltage.

I honestly havent looked over the 450r e-start set up and mount to see what could be done to fit a higher capacity unit in place with limited modifacations. I have a warehouse full of batteries...just no time to dive in and see what the possibilities are. Thats why I suggested a mount that mated to teh stock mount allowing a retro fit. the jump from a 130cca unit to a 175 to 190 cca unit is huge in these small batteries and while not a cure, it would help.

komatsu kid
02-10-2007, 07:10 PM
pappy how much for one of those 175cc batterys?i'll try and make it fit

thanks

Pappy
02-10-2007, 07:17 PM
by the measurements, you would have to cut away so much of the mount that it probably would not support the battery!

the YT12ABS units sell anywhere from $59 to $69 at just about any retailer. I sell them for $75 shipped, but honestly, I think you would be asking for a headache trying to cut away to make it fit.

bumble bee band
02-11-2007, 10:49 AM
this is a good and informative post. pappy i figure if i can hook a battery that produces more cold cranking amps ill be good. the problem is finding one that can mount up the quad with some modifications. which one do you recommend and how many cca's does it produce?

my quad also starts up like a champ when its its cold or should i say first thing in the morning. my problem with starting comes into play when im racing and running the quad hard and then stall. then sometimes it just wont start. i already know not to give the throttle any gas and stuff what do you think is causing this?

komatsu kid
02-11-2007, 10:55 AM
well my starter went out today time to convert to kicker,good luck to you getting yours to work,this has to be the biggest (pos) i ever owned

Pappy
02-11-2007, 11:16 AM
bumble bee,,,,,there really isnt a battery that gives more capacity that will readily slide in the stock mount, even with the slightest of mods to the battery bracketry.

OEM battery FATZ7S L 133mm W 70mm H105mm and provides 130 cca at zero degrees. By all calculations, this is more then ample capacity to fire a stock 450r. While I agree more battery capacity is helpful, I also feel jetting is more of an issue to the starting problems.

The next larger Battery that would provide 190 cca is part #FAYTZ10S L 150mm W 87 mm H 93 mm and the FAYTZ12S at 210 cca L 150 W 87 H 110

I think the end result to a good fix is going to be two fold. jetting and a larger capacity battery, but no one as of yet has designed something for the average joe to install without having to dive in with TIG in hand and create a larger mount.

bumble bee band
02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I HOPE YOU REALIZE HOW EXPENSIVE IT IS TO SWITCH OVER TO A KICK START.

bumble bee band
02-11-2007, 11:20 AM
THANKS PAP FOR THE INFO. YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL

komatsu kid
02-11-2007, 11:21 AM
400 bucks with discount,i'm sick of it not starting all the time,getting pulled started last of the line,

spincr4hire
02-11-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm running an equivalent to a YTZ-12, have been for the past year, works great. Me and Dober are working on a new battery design that relocates it behind the stock airbox. Should have it done in a week or so. I hacked the old mount off of my subframe before Pappy pc'd it.
Unfortunately yesterday, my starter clutch decided to take a dump. I plan on getting that fixed and adding the kicker conversion as well. I wish Honda would have done a little more R&D before releasing such a POS starting system for the 06/07 models.

box design http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=272148

Woodsracer400ex
02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I put a bigger batt. in and it works great. Has fiftheen more cranking amps than stock and if I knew how to mess with the decompression it would work even better.

tooanxiousii
02-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Woodsracer400ex
I put a bigger batt. in and it works great. Has fiftheen more cranking amps than stock and if I knew how to mess with the decompression it would work even better.

What Battery are running (what ###)

I was just doing some searching on the net and found a place that sells a Battery the has 180cca ( Power Source Batteries )
#WPZ7S I plan on calling the on Monday to find out more

Pappy
02-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Woodsracer400ex

you installed a YTX7LBS and it has LESS cca then stock!

Woodsracer400ex
02-11-2007, 02:46 PM
All I know is I took the battery out that was stock and took it to Interstate battieres, they tested it and said it was fully charged and it was the highest cranking amps that you could get out of a battery that size, so the only way to get more was to go bigger with the battery, he got a taller battery with more cranking amps. This is a guy that does it for a living, with all type of batteries. I don't know anything about numbers and what not, all I know is it start faster and easier. It started easy before but after riding a couple of hours I would stall and it would take for ever to start, this is no longer a issue. I hope it is not a weaker battery, but will get the box and look into it more.

Pappy
02-11-2007, 02:49 PM
trust me, for the past 17 years all i have done is batteries and you were sold a battery with less cca then the stocker.

the battery you have produces 85 cca, the factory battery is 130.

05_KFX
02-11-2007, 02:55 PM
17 years at INTERSTATE Battery he might add. LOL Larger battery does not always mean more CCA...

Woodsracer400ex
02-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I just looked into it more, your right. He must have thought the battery ytz7s was only 70 ca. Was the stock battery I had before going dead and the tester he used may have been wrong? Do I just take this one back and buy a new stock battery and it will start better? Or do I leave it, I rather put the stock cover back on and protect it more. But it starts great now. I still have the stock battery

Pappy
02-11-2007, 03:25 PM
i answered your pm on the first part

as far as what to do....that battery will wear out faster then the correct battery, right about the time the warranty ends and you will be standing there handing more cash over for another battery. go get the correct battery while you have a leg to stand on with them.

Woodsracer400ex
02-11-2007, 03:41 PM
10-4, thanks for the heads up. Thought I came up with a good solution. Will get another stock battery. The old one had to be failing.

Woodsracer400ex
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Took battery back today, got into it with them because they didn't believe me that the stock battery had more cca. Final they pulled out the cat. and were proven wrong! Pappy thanks for watching out for me. Got a full refund and will be buying a new stock battery. Guess I will get a kick start as back up in the near future. Maybe it will work like it should with a new stock battery.

Pappy
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
no problem bud, right is right

tooanxiousii
02-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by tooanxiousii
What Battery are running (what ###)

I was just doing some searching on the net and found a place that sells a Battery the has 180cca ( Power Source Batteries )
#WPZ7S I plan on calling the on Monday to find out more

Well I called them and yes it's 180cca battery so here is one way to help our starting problems