PDA

View Full Version : First impression of the stroker motor

kiesta00
02-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Well people, after all of the questions about stroker cranks, spacer plates, pistons, clearances, porting specs and all that other stuff....I finally got my bike back tonight. Just to recap my mods, 38mm a/s carb, top end port job, FTZ drag pipe, vforce2 reeds, 69.5mm bore and 4mill stroke, and rechambered head. Pretty much a brand new engine haha.

First off, the compression this thing has feels unreal, i'm waiting to get my first taste of kickback lol. Sounds a lot healthier just by idle and revving than it did before the rebuild. Engine doesn't vibrate nearly as bad as it did before, smooth as glass now.

First and second gear seem too short now, it just pulls and screams to the limiter, and 3rd wants to pick the wheels up once again :) Didnt get to touch 4th and 5th gear yet, but it seems to pull a LOT harder. We're making a trip to the LA dunes saturday so we'll see how it stacks up against some modded banshees and 4 pokes. After it being tore down since October, I couldn't be happier right now lol. All I need now is to get my +6 swinger put on and get some haulers...than I'll be set :)

Thanks for the help guys :)

250r4life
02-08-2007, 11:09 PM
make sure and get some good hours on that thing getting it good and broken in before you hit the sand... get your idle sessions, and cruise around the neighborhood or whatever you need to do...

the sand is the worst place to break in a motor...

CorvetteZ06
02-09-2007, 07:32 AM
wow, sounds great man, good luck with that motor, let us know how you did on saturday against the competition. :D

C-LEIGH RACING
02-09-2007, 09:02 AM
You didnt say anything about the gearing or tire size, hows that set up.
Neil

kiesta00
02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
well right now the gearing is still at 13/37 and 20" sand skate paddles. I'm gonna take it easy this weekend and get used to the motor. The guy who built the motor has put atleast a tank of gas through it letting it idle and then riding it around his field. I'll run about another half tank through it before I start racing ppl this weekend. I don't have my swingarm or haulers yet...but thats coming this month lol.

I'm probably going to go with 21" 8 haulers, found some cheap knock-offs on ebay called ortires. A couple of guys run them around here and like them so I'll try those out. Once I get the swingarm and haulers, then I'll start playing with the gearing. I want to gear it so I can launch in 2nd and not bog off the line in the sand.

gotta get used to that compression again lol...can't just hop on it and kick it like its a 60cc anymore.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I would go ahead & drop a 14 on the front just to pull it down some, & maybe even a 36 on the rear.
You already said 1st & 2nd was useless, gear it down so that stroker can grunt & use that compression to its good.
Lot of guys hear them ol banshees whail & try to do the Rs like that, but you would be surprized if you grunt that thing & learn how to use it like that how good & how long it will last.

You know what you had to spend to get it to that point, high RPM on a R engine is just like somebody on dope works good for awhile but when she goes its gone.
High RPMs means checking the engine often, you can turn it but the more you do the closer you need to keep a check on it.
Neil

kiesta00
02-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I'll keep that in mind this weekend when getting used to the new powerband. What are some things to look over when "checking the engine"? Piston clearance, rod play? I'm going to start a log of when I ride and how often I change the fluids in her, just to make sure I keep everything in line. Thanks for the advice

C-LEIGH RACING
02-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Yeah, keep a check on the piston & that compression. I would check compression about like you would changing jets & pay attention to any loss at all.
Rod should be ok for a right good while.
You know, I think the part of a rod that suffers the most is the small end.
I beleave after a good while of beating the engine that small end starts to elongate & gain clearance adding to the piston slap.
It takes a whole lot of ruff treatment to get that big end.
I also think something as small as a lite seize will have some effect on any rotating part in the engine, its got to from the lack of fuel that cools & lubes things.
Been a many a person seized up a piston, slapped the top end back together & then wondered why it killed itself latter on.
Neil

parttime
02-09-2007, 06:04 PM
why run such high compression?lower compression motors will pull so much harder on the top end.i run about 160 to 165psi comp. and i like the fact that i can sit on the seat and kick mine over and not have to worry about a bruised shin