PDA

View Full Version : ne one else runnin stock filter

JJs450r
02-08-2007, 08:11 PM
anyone else running stock airfilter i just picked on up from the honda shop i was using the k&N just wondering if there any differnce with bogging airflow jetting or if its just 2 close to tell

lumi
02-08-2007, 08:21 PM
the k&N might flow a bit or tad better, or sometimes not at all...

i am running the stock filter, it has the best protection for dust and dirt than any other filter.. honda says that the engineers have tested and specifcally created the filter for perofrmance and the best protection u can get..

i really dont see why people change there air filters out for a K&n or non foam filter unless there racing hardcore...

just me

-lumi

mustangflyboy
02-08-2007, 09:10 PM
runnin stock foamie

Flodies400ex
02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
some of the foam filters are better but I cant remember what brand

d3ktrix
02-08-2007, 09:49 PM
I run a stock filter, biggest reason is because it doesn't fall off like the UNI's.

I've seen 2 R's top ends totally wipped out from UNI's falling off.

The sparks ring is suposed to help.
But not worth it IMO, I like that rear braket the stock one has.

h-bomb450R
02-08-2007, 09:53 PM
we just rig up our UNI's with the stock bracket piece. works great.

d3ktrix
02-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by h-bomb450R
we just rig up our UNI's with the stock bracket piece. works great.

Will the cage from the stock filter work in the UNI?
Just pop a hole in the end for the little shaft?

JJs450r
02-09-2007, 04:48 AM
well i didnt plan on running the cage with my the stock foam i have the little metal pro design insert they said it should stiffin it up some out about outterwear should i run that

eagertorace
02-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by JJs450r
well i didnt plan on running the cage with my the stock foam i have the little metal pro design insert they said it should stiffin it up some out about outterwear should i run that

yeah you can run the prodesign adapter with the stock filter without the cage, Joe w/ Rossier cuts the cage off and just uses the ring.
I'm running the kn prodesign with outerwear and no problems so far, but thinking of going back to the stock filter, I think outerwears has prefilters for that huge stock filter.

nater344
02-09-2007, 06:02 AM
I am also still using the stock filter with the cage, but my R doesn't have any engine mods. I have run K&N's in the past on my 250R, but for the price would rather buy a couple extra stock foamies so I can switch them out before every ride. I am looking more for protection, rather than performance.

czrider263
02-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I run a DRG filter with adaptor. Those filters have more layers than the k and n with more flow. And if you tighten them you don't have to worry about them falling off.

Ty's400
02-09-2007, 05:40 PM
So those of you running the stock filter, do you mod the stock cage or use something different? It looks as though it is very restrictive. Maybe just taking the top mesh layer off, would be good enough:ermm:

d3ktrix
02-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Ty's400
So those of you running the stock filter, do you mod the stock cage or use something different? It looks as though it is very restrictive. Maybe just taking the top mesh layer off, would be good enough:ermm:

I run the full stock cage. I would imaging tho that cutting out the mesh would help some.

lumi
02-09-2007, 09:25 PM
imo wouldnt make any noticable power. the most restrcitive thing on the quad in terms of air would be the lid... if u all out racing i say dump the whole box, get a pre-filter and dump the cage and get a stright tube from the filter to the intake trac

jmho

-lumi

tooanxiousii
02-10-2007, 08:36 AM
The stock intake boot or tube as you call it going to your carb is the best one you can get ...

czrider263
02-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by tooanxiousii
The stock intake boot or tube as you call it going to your carb is the best one you can get ...

i made a little more hp with the FCI intake and that was the old model without the new resinator.

lumi
02-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by czrider263
i made a little more hp with the FCI intake and that was the old model without the new resinator.

:D thanks, ended my reply. lol

-lumi

tooanxiousii
02-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Than tell me why Bladwin and spark's both use stock...

czrider263
02-10-2007, 10:36 AM
either they don't know about it or they tested the old version and didn't like the A/F curve. thats why the new generation that isn't out yet has a stock resinator on it to smooth the curve. If you saw my build when we tested it you will see the A/F was everywhere and we only gained like .3hp. but the new one should be really insane.

tooanxiousii
02-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm not spending $200 for .3 hp ... I call both of them looking for a better intake to go with my bored out carb but they just told me the stock is the best one they have found

Flyin-Low
02-11-2007, 09:15 AM
For the stock air filter cage, i just removed all of the mesh and rounded any sharp edges so it didnt cut my filter. Then, to add the strenght back to it I bent the flat metal peices into a " U " shape so they weren't flimsy. Works great for me, maybe i'll snap a pic if i get time.

-Martin

Ty's400
02-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Flyin-Low if you could post a picture that would be great. I'm thinking about doing something similar. From what it sounds and people I've talked to the stock is just as good as some of the proflow kits out there. Or at least they aren't going to make that much of an advantage over stock.