PDA

View Full Version : figuring out SAG

quadracer707
02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Can you guys please help me figure if my suspension sag numbers are right. My front susp. fully extended with wheels still om the floor is 14" now when I put down & bounce a little to settle it is now 10 1/4 " which means I have 3 3/4 free sag. It says I should 1" of sag for 10" of total suspension. What is my total suspension travel?? Is this set right & if not please explain

Also doing my back rear suspension I lifted rear wheels until almost off ground measures 20 1/4".. Bounced around alittle & settled & measured even 17" for a sag of 3 1/4" again should be 10% of the total suspension. Iam LOST HELP me understand

Thanx

yfz48rdr
02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
What point are you measuring at? I have always heard about 30% of total travel should be your " free sag". So if your setup has 10 inches of wheel travel, 3.33 inches of sag would be correct by that logic. Personally, I have never been able to get the correct sag for the front end, just the rear. I usually set the rear sag, and adjust the front end to sit about 1/4 inch higher, as measured at the bottom rear a arm mounts and the frame rail between the footpegs. I am sure there is a better way to do this, but it has worked for me. I also own a YFZ.

quadracer707
02-08-2007, 08:10 PM
That is kind of what we did, I think we can get very technical, but you 33% makes sense. Thanx for you in put. Just put my fox evols on & hope to go out sometime friday. Later

yfz48rdr
02-08-2007, 08:15 PM
My bad, I just realized what I posted was incorrect. 30% of 10 inches is 3 inches (duh). Pick up on the grabbar, set the rear of the quad down and give it a few bouches to settle. Measure from the grab bar bolt to the floor. Record the measurement, multiply it by .7, this will give you the measurement you want when you sit on the quad and somebody else measures from the same point.

bradley300
02-09-2007, 07:38 AM
i was told the measure the sag while i was on it, and have someone else doing the measuring.

TBD
02-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
i was told the measure the sag while i was on it, and have someone else doing the measuring.

You're right. Static sag is when there is no rider on the quad. Static sag should be somewhere around 15% of the wheel travel. Race sag is when the rider is on the quad. If you are running a normal spring set up (not ZPS) then the race sag should be around 30%.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Sag in a % really doesn't aply to ATVs like it does dirt bikes we are more conserned with ride height ( inchs the frame is off the ground). This is much more important than a sag #. This should be measured wit the rider on the ATV and having the tires you are going to use installed on the atv. For xc I like 8 to 8.5'' in the rear and the front 1/4 to 1/2 higher than the rear

TBD
02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Sag in a % really doesn't aply to ATVs like it does dirt bikes we are more conserned with ride height ( inchs the frame is off the ground). This is much more important than a sag #. This should be measured wit the rider on the ATV and having the tires you are going to use installed on the atv. For xc I like 8 to 8.5'' in the rear and the front 1/4 to 1/2 higher than the rear

Please do not take this the wrong way Colby but here is the reason I would rather set sag by percentages rather then frame hieghts.

First of all you are assuming that all a-arm manufactures set there suspension up the same way. I have found that not to be true. You'll find some companies placing the shock mount in positions that it will bottom the frame before the suspension. And then there are some that might set it up so the quad sits too tall. By using frame hieghts to set the suspension could result in using up too much of the wheel travel or too little by the time you get the frame hieght correct. That is why I would use the percentages to set ride hieght. If your ride hieght ends up too tall then the arm manufacture didn't do his homework right.

I totally agree with your 1/4"-1/2" higher quad attitude in the front.

quadracer707
02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Yes I agree on the 1/4 - 1/2 difference but iam am still confused on what % to use off of. Are these nimbers OK or not. I finally got to take my quad out. Fov evols on front with Walsh +2 A Arms in the rear Elka with gibson swing arm & 250r rear. Iam riding a YFZ

Thanx Wade

P.S. By the way with this set up I rode today, Never bottomed out Even cased a few jumps. Everything felt good, but I want to understand this not just say OK

bradley300
02-10-2007, 09:21 AM
i found that once i had set the sag corrctly, the ride height had worked itself out